In the metro. LONGEST ESCALATOR EVER!!!! If you focus you can see a dim light at the end of the tunnel. I was amazed. But later on, in a different city (I think Prague) one was even longer.
Ok, this was just gross. It was some monk place and they had all these dead monk's bones in there. But it was more disgusting because it was all "decorated" with the bones. Literally laid out all artistically you could say. Chandeliers of bones hanging from the ceiling. It was nasty and creeped me out.
Since it was Sunday, we wanted to take it easy, so we walked on this "hot spot" for Sunday shopping. Lots of ritzy stores like Prada. All day I had trouble walking. Literally hobbling around like I was 80. It was embarrassing but I really couldn't help it. And my blisters were back again, of course. They didn't go away for a week.
The best part of Italy- GELATO!!! We had TONS of gelato! Everyday! It was SO GOOD!!! The first night we went to some famous gelato parlor and it was so crowded- literally fighting your way to the counter. There were a million flavors but-uh oh- all in Italian. There were only a few flavors I could make out. So we stared for a long time and got nowhere so Greg or I finally asked, "What flavor is this." Suddenly the man starts slamming things around and glares while he says, "Melon" or something. And he completely avoids us and is getting almost violent behind the counter. Gimme a break. Even if I knew some Italian, do you think I'd know 30 random flavors? The Italians were SO RUDE!!! They were all the worst if you didn't know the language!

We saw missionaries singing in the street!!! I loved it!!! We stared for awhile and then one came to talk to us. He said he could tell we were American. At first I thought, "How can you tell?" But once in awhile I see someone and they SCREAM american.

Even though I was disgusting and sweaty, I did go in.

We just walked all around.

We loved all the little alleys. And of course, the picture never shows the magnificence it really is.

Filling up the water bottles at the base of the Spanish Steps.


Greg decided that was a good idea too. And then before I knew it I'd started a trend and everyone round the pool did the same. And then 20 minutes later a guy flashes us a badge and tells us to get out. Whoops!





10 comments:
ohhhhhhhh what a LIFE MEGAN!!!!!!! that looks SO FABULOUS and i'm so happy for you guys... oh and jealous!!!!!! the pictures are amazing and i just really hope you guys have the time of your lives over there!
WOW! So many updating where to start! Okay first- your apartment! Wow! So small, but big enough! I'm loving your bed cover and shower curtain:) I can't believe the trouble you have to go through anytime you have to get something at the store! This really isn't a place you just run and pick up an ingredient huh? And OH MY, i feel so horrible that work has gotten off to such a rough start. That must be so stressful for you. When I read that part I just wanted to fly over there and give you a big hug. I would be so discouraged. BUT- just keep truckin along and things will be great before you know it:) So ROME- looks awesome! By the way- you were never boring, I loved it all. You make me want to go to europe SO BAD! I loved your imagination about that hill full of a great palace and city. I think I would imagine the same things:) That blister is insane- I feel so sad for you. Well, it looks like you guys are having a blast! Sounds like both of you wont have a problem of getting overweight there. Yikes. So much walking and 4 flights of stairs? Sheesh! Sounds awesome though. I love you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh yeah- I just remembered. Those statute men are so funny, but not as funny and annoying as those ROSE MEN! I would be SO MAD! How irritating. Clay would be so mad too. You are so funny though- I love the way you tell all your little side stories. It makes everything sound so fun. Like the time you put your feet in the water, causing everyone else to--and then the badge man. haha. I love you.
oh my gosh I can totally imagine the italian guy pounding whatever he had in his hand and responding- MELON! or whatever- that is so funny and so RUDE! Brother. Everything looks so awesome! What a great experience! You look really hapy and really beautiful! That's cool you saw the missionaries. People woudl look at you and scream american?!
Wow, I have just spent 30 minutes reading about all your travels over the last month!!! My family really needs to travel to Europe. But I think it would be best over several trips, I can tell you are worn out from doing so much.
Good luck with the start of school.
Oh yeah, about now being able to understand the labels on packages or the people; I remember the first time I traveled to Brasil, I wanted just to get some water. I knew how to say aqua, but then the lady kept asking my more questions... Turns out I needed to tell her if I wanted that with or without gas, and with or without lemon. From that day on I knew it was not going to be easy to just fit in to another culture where you don't fully know the language.
That is the coolest thing ever!! I think that is funny that you started a trend and got in trouble for it. That is funny. ( : I hope you guys have a blast. I'm sooo jealous that parlor guys is crazy. JERK!! Luv ya guys!
It seems so strange to fill your bottles with water from a statue! I think it'd be difficult to accept mentally that water from a statue/decorative fountain was safe to drink, but it's actually a very cool idea! Lovely AND useful.
Can you really drink the water from that fountain. It looks gross because so many people throw money and spit in them here. I wouldn't be able to do it unless I saw other people drinking from it. Cool.
Oh Megs, you're such a world traveler! I love reading you describe all the places you go. I'm glad you really love it, despite all the walking.
Good luck with your job. I think those kids are lucky to have you and I know you'll do awesome. It's just like any other job, a little tough at first.
Oh, and your apartment is adorable.
Love you!
Looks like you guys are really enjoying your time there. Sorry to hear about the blisters and the Nanny job not going so well. Your apartment is cute. Well, keep posting all the pics, it makes me feel like I am there (I wish!)
Post a Comment