Friday, October 17, 2008

The Many Adventures of Americans in Belgium

Wow, ok, I've calmed down a bit now. Hope I didn't freak anybody out with my "madness". Work has been going incredibly well. The housework has become a breeze and the baby is sleeping better and better, everyday. (and longer and longer!) The Mom keeps telling me how happy she is with me so that makes ME happy. After my trip, I'm flying home Halloween. Wouldn't it be awesome to wear a wacky costume on the plane? If it wasn't going to be SO LONG I would. I love Halloween, and I'm totally going to miss it. Oh well. At our old ward we were the only adults who dressed up. It made me feel a little wierd, like I was a kid. Why don't people dress up?!?

Ok, so we had our bed on the floor, remember? We didn't want to spend money on a bed frame just for one year. We didn't mind at all. I spill things every single week. It's just what seems to happen with my hands. So naturally, I spill a full glass of water right by the bed. So we jump up and lift up the mattress to see how much water got on it and what do we find??? MOLD! MOLD! MOLD!!! Spots of mold all over the bottom of our mattress!!! In the span of 2 1/2 weeks this has happened! It was also extremely damp. It was SO DISGUSTING!!!! So thank goodness we have a mattress cover and the mold only got on that. So we take it off and sleep as usual. I come home the next day from work to find the mattress up against the wall. Apparently overnight there was this wonderful puddle underneath the mattress! Already! I guess we know why the mold was there! So we went BACK to IKEA to buy a bed frame and carry it home on the tram. I thought my arms were going to fall off. I must say, I didn't know I was missing anything- but sleeping off of the floor is much better than sleeping on the floor. You just feel separate from the animals. Now that it's done, I'm glad. It's better. Oh yeah, the mattress cover wouldn't fit in the Cole's washer so I had to go somewhere. It was like 10 euros! Plus the two the machine stole from me. There were four compartments to put the soaps in, I wasn't sure if I was doing it right. The machines here are 1/2 the size but require twice as much soap, or more- actually. I don't get it. I'm so glad we can wash our clothes at the Cole's. We'd be so broke! A normal load of clothes would cost around $20. Yeah, we'd probably wash our clothes once a month. I'm so glad we don't have to.

Trash. Nobody has garbage cans. Well, outside ones. The garbage comes Monday and Thursday and if you want your stinky trash out of your apartment, you need to remember to leave it out on the side walk on those days. So there are bags and bags of garbage all around on those days. You can't leave it out too early in the day or you'll get a fine too! So if our garbage stinks inside we just have to deal with it!

I'm glad it's Friday. Last night, Greg and I found ourselves bored yet again. So we bought Man vs. Wild on ITUNES. I'm starting to be afraid of how much t.v we're going to buy while we're here. But it's true- we bought the whole second season and it was still cheaper than going to the movies.

It's not even 10am and I just want to be done. And I look over at Oisin and he is totally smiling at me even though I'm not smiley. What is wrong with me? Ugh. I'm usually not like this on the blog. I'm usually just not like this ever!

I've been reading a really good fantasy novel. It's the first of seven. A sweet client bought me the whole series before I left. I think I'm going to end up reading a LOT when I'm here. Ok, I'm gonna go. BYE!

10 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

love your background- yowsa, good thing they're letting you use their washer and dryer. I'm glad everything is so much better. i just went blank-

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OH YEAH- the mold- oh my gosh megan- you were just meant to have mold in your life- you brought it from the U.S. to Europe with you! Well, that's too bad you had to go buy a frame, I bet it wasn't that bad though. That's cool you get to have all these movies now, or do you just watch it once and then it disapears? that's cool. I wouldn't worry about how much tv you watch- but we watch alot. :) Lo veoyu-

Danielle said...

Man, I am SORRY about that mold problem! That is so unfortunate! I can't BELIEVE how expensive everything is there, and how many ways they cheat you out of your money! You living there has definitely taught me something: great place to visit- FANTASTIC place to visit, but horrid place to live. Sorry-I don't mean that in a bad way towards you or anything- just from all those random things, I swear...America is just so much easier to live in! But, it seems as though you are getting used to it and it is getting easier. I'm sure it just takes some time, and hopefully it wont bother you! I'm glad that the mom likes you so much- who wouldnt! You should take a pic of Oisin (if that's cool with the mom) so that we can see him. If his parents aren't cool with that, that's okay. I told Clay to set up the webcam and stuff....so hopefully he gets to that today. I might just take a stab at it myself. I love you!!!!!!!!!!

Emily said...

I think you're allowed to vent a little bit, I mean, you majorly downsized, moved to a different country, are having visa problems and started a new job! That's a lot going on. I'm so sorry about the mold, that sounds like a mess, so I'm glad you got that taken care of.

Oh, and I think that you have the most perfect calling in your ward!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I can't believe that you have mold over there as bad as we have here. I am glad you got a bed frame, that will make it much better to sleep. The washing is a bummer!! I don't like using so much soap, then you have to rinse a lot to get it all out. Too much soap will rot your clothes if it isn't rinsed out well. Just what you wanted to know right, one more thing for you. thing to be concerned about. Did you talk to the bishop about your visa. Just wondering. Love grandma

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

oh Megan, I love reading your blog! When you were here you hardly blogged. I always wished you would blog more. I love how entertaining you are!! If Greg still wants to work for the state dept. and gets his wish, you will probably get to be a pro at this overseas living. It has been very entertaining for the rest of us!I am glad the baby loves you so much! I am not surprised! Can't wait to see you! love you! Oh I forgot, I'm sorry about the mold, that is yuuuuccccky! I'm glad you have solved the problem.

Sutherlands said...

You sound much better after venting a bit! I am glad you are feeling better!

Lizzie said...

Are the people who let you use the washer and dryer, the same ones who you work for? That's really expensive for laundry. Wow. I'm so glad that things are getting easier for you at work. I'm so excited for you to come!!! Love you! Lizzie

Rebecca said...

Wow. Your life is fascinating and you make it very real on your blog. You're very funny. Love you and miss you. Wish I could go to California too. Have fun. Love the Halloween blog colors.

Dan said...

Its sounds like something new happening every day.
And again, there times when there is nothing going on also.
A lot of up and down emotionally speaking.
Like being on a dive boat.
I sleep laying on my side, so just about the time I would fall asleep, the boat would pitch, and throw on my face or back and I would wake up, not a very restful sleep. LOL
Uncle Dan