Monday, October 13, 2008

New Callings

Ok. Our 2nd Sunday we walk thru the door and within 3 seconds Bro. Passey shakes our hands and tells us he wants to talk with us. I knew what was coming. And I was actually excited. I wanted to be involved. So . . . we're in the Primary! I'm the pianist and Greg teaches the 4-7 year olds. And 10 minutes later I was playing the piano and Greg was sitting with his class! Wow! Just jumped right in! I was all panicked because I had to play a song I'd never even heard before, but it all worked out. It was crazy, once I met the Primary Pres. I kept asking, "What are we singing today?" over and over and then in Sharing Time they sprung a happy birthday song on me and something else, I don't remember. But it all worked out. They like to keep the Hymn Book there, I guess, but said I could take it home this week and I played thru it today and it's all pretty simple. So that's a relief. I was a little worried, but am not anymore.

Greg! Ha! Poor guy had no notice to teach his class. They just handed him the manual and away he went. He said it was WILD. Kids jumping off chairs, wrestling, running everywhere! I laughed so hard imagining this wild scene. There were 8 kids and him. He said two girls were good and sat still, but everyone else was just wild. He had them guess his age and one guessed 18 and most guessed 35. At the end of class he said that the ones who sat still would get a treat next week and they all got mad and said, "That's not fair! You didn't tell us!" So funny. I wish I could have seen it. But he figured out quick- candy is the only means of control. Oh I love it. It just makes me laugh so much.

I think this is going to be my favorite calling ever. It's so much fun to be in there! Kids are so cute! We sang the Hello Song and they were all fighting about who got to be the echo part. They were always wanting to volunteer. That surprised me. I never volunteered. I was always afraid. Kids just say things! It's so funny! It was the chorister's first day too and she was trying to teach a song and one girl kept saying loudly, "We know it! We know it! Can't we just sing it now!" It was so funny! I just had a ball in there. I think Greg did too. And I love my part because it doesn't last all of Primary so I still get to go to Gospel Doctrine and even 8 minutes of Relief Society. I don't know. I was glad. And this month we're subbing for Nursery Song Time and it was so cute. We just sang to the little ones and they just stared at us. I thought they'd sing along, but they just sat quiet. One was only 1 year old and you could tell he knew all the songs. It was really cute. You just knew his family sang to him a lot.

Things are going well. Work just keeps getting better and easier. It's crazy, I have moments where I get bored and don't know what to do with myself. I don't like that, but it's better than the stress of, "How am I gonna get this all done?" kind of feeling. Everything seems to be working out for Greg too with school. He said it's interesting and he loves having classmates from all different kinds of countries. Yeah, a lot of people in our ward are from Africa. Yesterday was Fast and Testimony Mtg. and we heard all these African accents. Kinda cool. I keep talking here and there with neighbors outside. It usually doesn't last long since it's in french, but it's been fun. I need to start studying again. I keep saying I'm going to and then never do. I'm going to see my sister and Mom in California in less than 2 weeks and I'm SO excited! We're going to Disneyland too!!!! Yea! That's all. Hope everyone is doing well! Love you!

9 comments:

Rochelle said...

That would be sooooo cool to live in a ward like that!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Isn't primary a ball? Everything you said sounded right on, they just say the randomest things- and the kids are just wild circus crazies! And candy is the the ONLY way to discipline them- they will be a still as a needle for one measly little piece of candy- it's so funny to listen to them and observe- those callings are perfect for you- piano and greg teaching- and greg wou dbe a natural with the kids- guessing his age- what a great a idea! I would have never htought of that- I'm glad work is better, sorry it's slow- you should do some knitting or something- something small you can carry over- and keep you busy. I need to go now- i lov eoyU! and I go tyour phone call durring spanish- I have spanish every day from 8-9. so dissapointing! It made me so happy to hear your voice! thankyou for trying! I love you!

Tolman Family said...

I love hearing your crazy stories! I'm glad to hear adjustment is coming, slowly perhaps, but coming :) I would love to be in primary at some point. I've been in YW forever!!! No kidding. Over 4 1/2 years. First advisor then counselor and now pres. I love it but look forward to a change one day :)

Hopefully you can get your cans in your bag without any problems. I would just die without Mexican food. You're in my prayers :) And your shower, try a new head - you can throw that in your suitcase of food :)

Travel safely!

Justica said...

Well that is hilrious especially greg's situation with his class. I'm surprised he didn't think of candy before. But that is still funny. i'm glad you guys are having fun. (: love ya!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Megan, primary is lots of fun, and yours sounds pretty normal. They love treats, even things like sliced apples and healthy things, but be careful some kids have allergies, to things like peanut butter and nuts. Crackers, chips, cheese, and celery and carrot sticks, are all things they usually like. I loved my years at primary and I served for yearssssss and I do mean years, I didn't do anything else until I was in my forties. I was everything that you can do except music. I even did the music when I was on the mission. I had the same calling your mom has in stake primary also. Was Pres. for 5 years, when it was after school from 4:00 to 6:00 I can't believe it now. I always loved it and it is wonderful to watch them each year perform the Sacrament Meeting Presentation on Sunday. But children are brutally HONEST, they say exactly what they think!!!! So don't let them hurt your feelings. I love little kids espically the ones 1 to 6, not as fond of the 7 year olds, but they grow out of it all a year later. Just enjoy the fun, and be your sweet self, and greg will have his hands full, he just needs to be prepared, and change things around a lot. Maybe a wiggle game, and then a mouth zipper, so they will be quiet, then some stories and work papers and a song or two. Kids also love to roll play the scriptures with a couple of props. Just remember their attention span is only as long in minutes as they are old. So things need to change every 3 to 4 minutes as the youngest are 4. Such a funny story and that was hardly fair to make you do it without any preparation at all. You sound happier and better ajusted and good luck with your bean getting. One of your friends suggested cooking dried beans, and they are wonderful with a ham hock. Just soak them first. Then you need to boil on low until tender 2-3 hours, depending on the altitude. You can make your own refried ones also, by mashing pinto beans. If you need to add water, just remember to add boiling water. They like to be cooked with salt also. Much better, and black ones like onions and garlic. You sound excited to come to the states, and I am glad you get to return for awhile. I love you sooooo much. Grandma

Lizzie said...

Primary sounds fun! It's really funny about Greg's calling. 4-7 year olds all combined? that sounds hard. is that because the primary is so small? does he have to teach in french? or is it an english speaking ward? are their hymn/primary books different than ours, or the same music for piano?

We're so excited to see you too! Tanner asked if Greg was coming too with a huge smile on his face. It was really cute.

fiona said...

Greg's class sounds awesome!! As in, he'll have lots of good stories to tell... ;) That's great that you're both in Primary. We don't have an official pianist here, often we hafta use the cd player. Makes me really wish I had kept up w/ piano well enough to just be able to sit down and play, I hafta practice and practice whichever songs I want to. And food is definitely key. Even for my 2 crazy little Sunbeams!! Ahhhh...Primary.

Amy said...

I love all of your stories!!!It is so fun to read your blog and hear about all of your adventures, good and bad. You sound like you when you write.
I loved the primary too when I was in it. I feel for Greg though. At first its pretty funny and cute but it gets frustrating for sure. How fun for you to get to play the piano and be with the little kids singing everyday. I think they got the perfect girl for the job!!!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

That was soooo funny. I loved it! I think it would be fun to be the Pianist if they play as good as you do. You can just relax and enjoy whats going on. that is a hoot about Greg! 35!! that is pretty funny. He will have them eating out of his hand before he knows it.
I'm glad work is better, and that you get bored sometimes. I'm glad Greg is liking school, what a cool experience. You are having a such a cool experience, I'm happy for you! I was going to call today, but didn't have time because of my dentist appt. Dad enjoyed his 3 minutes. That's what happens when a person(him) procrastinates our tax returns! Love you!!!