
I have never been into Thanksgiving. I've never dreaded it, but never looked forward to it. Well, maybe I looked forward to the pies . . . but before today, I could have cared less if I celebrated ever again. Well, Thanksgiving isn't a holiday here, so the day of and after Greg has class and I have work. For me, I will work 7 separate nights this year because of parent teacher meetings- and tonight happened to be the first one. So . . . that gave us exactly one and a half hours together in the ENTIRE day- so that means no Thanksgiving. I didn't really care- until yesterday night and I was blogging and reading that my brother and sister were going to be at Mom and Dad's. Then I got a little teary. Then we were on Skype with Greg's family and his siblings were over there. That made me cry. But what could we do?
Well, today I dash home from work to shower and eat before I have to go back and Greg says, "We're going to have Thanksgiving!" So in one and a half hours this is what we accomplished: Real gravy, corn from a can, store bought rolls we already had, real mashed potatoes, mandarin oranges (yeah, not thanksgiving-y but we needed fruit), and then Greg ran to the store to buy roasted chicken (it's close enough!) and some bachlava (we couldn't really make a pie in time, but Thanksgiving requires treats!), and I threw in the last of the cookie dough we had in the fridge. It ended up being a delicious meal! And pretty Thanksgiving-ish! Oh yes, and I lit a candle- it made it nice. And somehow I had time to shower, dress and style my hair and makeup- with 40 minutes to spare to eat! I couldn't believe it! I cried. I was so happy. I didn't think we had a chance and then Greg just decided we should so we did! And I'm so glad we did!
So now I've decided we're going to have Thanksgiving no matter what, no matter where we are. I turned on the Christmas music while we cooked too. That's my family's tradition- to wait until Thanksgiving to play Xmas msuic. I LOVE Christmas music, I usually break down and play it in the summer or fall. But when I was little I remember waiting and WAITING until we could play Christmas music and I was always SO excited.
This Thanksgiving was very different for me. For one, it was the smallest Thanksgiving ever- 2 people! Wow! Has that ever happened before? And second: I had gravy on my chicken and potatoes. I NEVER put gravy on, but it's what people do at Thanksgiving, right? So I had to do it. Also, I'm not someone who over eats- ever. Maybe twice a year. I eat 'till I'm satisfied, then I'm done. But again, everyone eats as much as they physically can on this day! It's tradition! So that's what I did, well, maybe not- but I ate more than I normally would. Something about, not being "home" and around family and friends made me want to make it as Thanksgiving-ish as possible! Another instance, I really didn't feel like rolls- but how can you have Thanksgiving without rolls!!!!
I really wanted to take a picture but our camera was dying. That's why I'm making a funny face because it was way delayed and then it died.
Now I'm at work and the kids are in bed and it doesn't feel like a holiday anymore, but it was the best Thanksgiving ever! I love you Greg! It never would have happened without you!
11 comments:
That is the best story ever! I'm sure it's hard to get into Thanksgiving when you're in a country that doesn't celebrate it! I'm so glad you guys pulled it off, and I'm glad you ate a ton too!
Just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving!!
I am so happy you had thanksgiving!!! We are laying around tomorrow and decorating for Christmas, probably sewing a little maybe, sooooo I was thinking we could skype tomorrow, today for you. Love you!!!
Wow, way to pull that together! I'm glad y'all had such a memorable Thanksgiving; funny how sometimes the holidays that seem to not be ideal end up being the best ones.
I'm so glad that you had Thanksgiving!!! It sounds fun. It took me a while to figure out what "parent-teacher meetings" were and what that had to do with your job. I get it now. I love you.
I love you Megan, and I am happy for you and it was so fun seeing you on skype. grandma
Megan, you tell the best stories about your experiences being outside of the states!
Greg, we missed you at paint ball this year, you have to come next time!
That is awesome! I'm glad you guys did something. I think the picture is cute even with the situation of timing and such! I love you!!!
I know I already commented, I just have to say I am so grateful you blog! I would miss you way more if you didn't. This way I feel a part of your life! I love you!!
That is so sweet! I'm so glad he made dinner at the last minute and you guys made it special. I loved talking to you so much. if I weren't on meds i would have been crying, but because of the meds it's pretty hard to cry. I love you so much and miss you!!!!!! I'm glad that you celebrated. I need to write you an email and give you an update and vice versa. I love you. And you look so cute in the pic.
I haven't been fire dancig lately. I did at first when i got here, but they were kinda pushed around because of homework and other things. =( But I will when i get back home =)
Post a Comment