Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Brussels

Had to take Mom down town to see Brussels. We went to the Grand Place, which happens to be a square. Mom, I discovered, LOVES squares. It's funny because, for whatever reason, I could care less about squares. I feel scrunched and crowded in them. But Mom just loves them. So we found a crowded cafe and we each had incredible salads. We were oo-ing and aw-ing all over them with every bite. The sun was shining. It was really fantastic! Brussels was more packed than I'd ever seen it. I found myself thinking, "These tourists are ruining everything! They're crowding everywhere! What a pain!" Never thought I'd say that before! I could suddenly sympathize with native europeans. It was so strange because I heard so many people speaking English and spoke english to so many people (asking directions). It was so unusual!

Mom kept talking about how all the streets looked so cool. We came to this one and she just had to take a picture. I thought it was so weird because it looks just like every other street. But once I stopped and really looked at it- it IS a really cute! I never thought I'd get so used to things I wouldn't notice anymore. When Greg and I first got here that was our favorite part- all the little alleys. Now we don't even notice. All of Europe is starting to look the same to us.
Of course I had to take her to the Mannequin Pis. Man, he was trouble to find. He didn't have to be. When we decided to go looking for him he was literally one block away but somehow it took us a half hour to find him!
The best part: The Belgian Waffle. I don't know if I've mentioned this. People think they know what Belgian Waffles are. NO PEOPLE!!!! Belgian Waffles HERE are NOTHING like the belgian waffles in the U.S. The only similarity is the shape. The taste, the texture- completely different. I mean just look at my mother-
LOOK AT HER!!!! Powdered sugar all over herself! And chocolate all over her face like a little kid. It simply can't be helped. My mother compared this experience to the seeing the David. She was such a mess we couldn't stop laughing and she was so overwhelmed by the waffle and couldn't stop talking about it. Greg and I COMPLETELY understood as we felt the same way with our first waffle. It's just not the same. There's no way anyone could ever know what they're in for. It's honestly an unforgettable experience!
This is a neat little covered area. It just looks fancy. I like walking thru it.
Then it turns into the fish market/restaurants. Greg and I just love this street. At night it's all lit up. The restaurants all have there umbrella/cover things crowded above in the alley. Everything and everyone are touching as they're passing. There is fresh fish on display and tables and chairs all along the way. The best part is all the managers of each restaurant dressed impeccably and standing out front and the moment they meet your eyes they smile and slide one hand out and say, "Come to my restaurant, what would you like to eat?" I used to feel really bad walking by and saying no, even though I'd already had dinner that day, but I don't anymore. I'm sure a thousand people walk by every night!
Janequin Pis- she was turned on for the first time! She's not as cute.

7 comments:

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

Can I just say those Beligian waffles look so yummy!! :) I guess I don't know how I would feel about the 'squares'... I don't know if I've ever really been in one. Thanks for sharing all the fun times and pictures from your mom's visit.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I loved the posts and I think it is wonderful that your mom got to come over for a visit. I love you and all of the pictures are awesome. love hugs and kisses grams

Danielle said...

Okay- that is HILARIOUS that the David and the waffle are comparable. I love it. I'm not surprised everything seems normal to you now. I think that happens with everyone...everywhere! But yeah, when I look at those streets I think- wow those are cool...just like the movies! You look so pretty and cute in the pictures! I love you!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Good job Megan!! I have been just trying to catch up. I have felt more tired than I did when I got there. I love you!!!!! I had a great time. I still haven't unpacked!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

you look so cute in that last picture- your hair is gettign so long!!!! I really wawnt one of those belgian waffles.

Lizzie said...

Love your hair in all these pictures. And I love the scarf too.

I really want to go shopping down that cute street.

fiona said...

Mmmm...Belgian waffles...I loved the fish markets/restaurant street. Also, I love how much your mom enjoyed being over there! It's quite obvious!