Mom's last 2 days we took it pretty easy. There's this great forest just 5 minutes from our apartment so I took her there. I took a million pictures and somehow only a couple loaded up to my computer. Oh well. It was pretty. The last time Greg and I went it was all barren but now there were flowers and green everywhere!
Mom found this. She was really interested in it. It is the remains of some building out in the middle of the forest. Weird! She was trying to find a date on something to find out how old it was. I was wondering what it was doing in the trees!
Her very last day we went to this Botanical Garden that was supposed to be really big. Well, it USED to be a botanical garden- 20 years ago apparently. Now it's a venue for concerts. We were disappointed. So we walked around. It had a gorgeous garden outside.
Then we bought some salads at what could be compared to a 7/11 store (do those even still exist? that makes me feel old!) and ate them on a bench.
Then the BEST part of the day! We traveled what seemed to be FOREVER to this chocolate factory outlet store. Supposedly we could get a ton of chocolate for way cheap. We had ALREADY consumed and purchased an insane amount of chocolate this vacation- but why stop now, right? Well, it was HOT, I tend to get motion sickness on the metro/tram/buses and this place was on the edge of town meaning we're riding for quite awhile. We also weren't exactly sure where we were and where to go once we got off the metro. We knew we had to walk a ways, but wasn't sure which direction to go. By the time we got there, I had a head ache and was just in a bad mood. And then we found it! And everything tasted good! We sampled everything! We shouldn't of, but we did, and then we felt sick all the way home. But we bought some chocolate!
Mom's haul:
See the big boxes? All the little chocolates? Some of it is covered up and you can't see that there are 3 layers in each box. Important information: most of this (well actually, maybe half?) are presents. It's not all for Mom :)
Well, it was a good trip. It was great seeing my Mom. It was really funny. I realized I have a lot of traits that she has. Things she'd say, things she'd do and I'd think, "Wo, I do that everyday." Strange. The older I get the more I think I'm just like my Dad, but this trip I realized my Mom is definitely in there too! I feel like I had so much to say, but I am exhausted and am drawing a blank!
Well, on other notes . . . Greg started his internship last week! It's going well! He really likes who he's working with. A giant draw back is that we've found out that NATO doesn't hire interns ever! It's just not the way it works. He wasn't necessarily counting on it, but was hoping it was a possibility, something to fall back on. I guess not anymore. So he's starting to wonder if he should've even done this, because he is SOOO pushed for time for school. He's been feeling stressed, but last night we realized, if nothing else, it will be a good reference. He doesn't really have relevant or recent work experience because I supported us once we got married. So that makes us feel better about the whole situation.
Hmm . . . what else? Work's going really well. I was sort of dreading it because it was so awful before vacation, but it's going well. The break did me a LOT of good. I needed it. Oisin has figured out how to give a REAL hug versus the just lean in for a hug hug and it is AWESOME! And he kisses now. Well, to the best of his ability. And he kisses me all the time! After I feed him, when I pick him up from his nap, even after I change him, and if we're playing together he'll stop and crawl to me, give me a kiss and walk away! It's so deliberate! It made me cry! I've been amazed at how much we can communicate when he doesn't say a thing! I think it's amazing! We have so much fun together! We're friends! Everytime I'm holding him and he's smiling at me I just think, "Ah, I wanna do this with my OWN child!" Ah, can't wait.
The weather has been amazing and beautiful pretty regularly now. Oh yeah!!! Greg's cousin Zac came to stay with us for a couple nights! It was good to see him. He works for the State Department, which is where Greg wants to be soon so they were talking about work, applying for work, etc. etc all the time. There are some pics but I'll get to that in another post. Speaking of work- the reality of the economic situation has finally set in. We've been hearing about it and reading about it forever now, but I've always just thought positively about the whole thing. I've been a bit naive about it all. I don't know why, but I thought it was gonna turn around in a year. And suddenly I realized this week, "Wait, it's probably gonna be YEARS." I also haven't thought too much about it because I also thought, "If worse gets to worse, Greg can just work at Walmart or McDonald's." Then I realized, "Wait, everyone's losing jobs. Why would there be openings there? Everyone's got to be holding on to their jobs like crazy!" Then I thought, "Oh my gosh, what if he doesn't get a job at all!" Then panic set in. Greg was calm and tried to reassure me. Then the next day he was freaking out and I was calm. Alteast we panic on different days :) Well, Greg wants to work for the State Department, which involves a year long hiring process- IF you get hired the first time. Greg works with someone that it took 3 YEARS and he got in his first time! So realizing this he's been looking at other jobs to fill in the waiting time. I've always said to Greg, "Work wherever you want to. I don't care where, you just cannot be required to carry a gun." Well, these are the jobs he's thinking about applying for, "Border Patrol, Naval Criminal Investigation Services, Portland Police Department and the Fire Department. Except for the last- ALL OF THESE REQUIRE A GUN!!!! But they come with a good salary and great benefits and they're hiring. Well Border Patrol is, he hasn't check that on ALL of them. Greg wanted me to inform you that he is applying for other things. Greg thinks it would be really cool to be a Fire Man. I'm feeling more comfortable with it now. Last night he told me and I just started crying. I always imagined a safe, behind the desk kind of job. Sigh. But with the way things are, we'll take what we can get. The whole situation is interesting, that's all I can tell you. We're hoping for the best.
OH MY GOSH!!! Here's a tid bit for you. One morning a beer can appeared on a ledge connected to our window. I didn't like it, but left it there for a couple days. Meanwhile Greg sees an old man walking his dog past our window. A normal looking old man. He sees the can, stops, picks it up, looks at it and gives it a little shake. THEN HE DRINKS IT!!!!!! Then he got a disgusted face and spit it all out, put the can back and walked away. WHO DRINKS FROM A RANDOM CAN ON THE SIDEWALK!!!!! GROSS!!!! So today the garbage comes so I grab it to throw away. It's almost full! Greg and I are suspicious (as we were once he spit out the drink). Did someone pee in it? Why would someone leave a full beer on the road? Besides the insane idea of drinking from a strange can that could've been out for days, if not months, if you actually do, don't you think he'd expect the taste of beer and finish it off? Hmm . . . something unexpected must have occured. I don't know. Of all the things I thought I'd never see- THAT was at the top of the list. Ew. It makes me shudder.
On another note, a memory popped into my head today. Pretty hilarious, so I'll share. Now, none of you can judge me. When Greg and I were first married, and I mean like a month, we were going to bed and he wants to open the window. I didn't. He persists and I ask why. He replies with that he is afraid that I'll suffocate us and we'll die in the middle of the night- as in MY GAS is so POTENT that he is honestly in fear for his life. At first I thought it was a joke, but he was COMPLETELY SERIOUS. Can you believe that? Anyway, that popped into my head and I still laugh about it. Hopefully you're all laughing now. I am. Anyway, I'll leave you with that little thought in your heads. So long!
12 comments:
Megan you are so funny. I love you and I think it is really serious about the job hunting now. A person takes what he can qualify for I think. It is hard in the work field right now and so many things are closing. Loved the post. Hugs and kisses grams
When I read your last comment I was like WHO IS THIS? Do I know him? Does Kallie know him? Is it some weirdo? Who would feel frustrated that they didn't know how to spell Kallies name and me not even know who thay are? It was really crazy. I'm glad that the next comment let me in. Then I went back and read the first one again knowing it was you and it was totally different.
Anyways I love your family and your chocolates! It always makes me smile to read about it.
I freak out about the economy ALL of the time. After I moved to Utah I started watching the news a lot. At the request of my husband I hardly ever watch the news now. He didn't like my constant state of panic!
I loved the last story you left us with! I was totally laughing!!!!!
Matt wanted me to tell Greg that the Eugene Police Department is hiring, as well. I don't know if you guys want to live in Eugene, but it's an option! It has great benefits, and we're really happy with the job (even though he has to carry a gun!). Also, 3 LDS guys have been hired in the last year- they really love the mission for experience! Good luck.
OH. MY. GOSH! I am crying, I'm laughing so hard!!! Your gas is so potent, you might suffocate the two of you at night?! ha ha ha ha ha ha Greg is too funny! Wade lives in his own secret world where I don't ever fart, and if I do let one rip around him, he acts like he didn't hear it. It's so funny! What is it with guys and their weird little quirks? Us females are perfect and quirk-free.
p.s. I know how you feel about the gun thing--I never wanted to be married to someone who had a job that required a gun and danger of any sort. Then Wade decided he wanted to be an OSP Trooper, and here we are! It still makes me so anxious, i have to try not to think about it or I panic, get paranoid that something's going to happen to him. But, they do pay well and the benefits are awesome! :)
Great post. I can't believe how many chocolates you guys got!! Wow. You guys look so pretty in these pictures.
I'm so glad that Hoisen gives hugs and kisses now ( i can't ever remember how to spell his name). Isn't it great when they do that? Kate says "I love you. So much. Mommy." ALL THE TIME and I love it. It makes me feel so good.
The beer can...sick. Unbelievable.
The economy. Yeah. It's bad. But it'll all work out. It really will.
ok that is SO fun that your mom came to visit! Holy moly! I bet you get a little lonely over there without your family so how fun!!! and can I just say that I'm SO JEALOUS of the chocolate experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and one more thing... Megan- you are SO pretty!!!!!
You are sooo silly!
Along the lines of being like me, I have done that all my life, as my mom in particular goes through different stages of life I later go through, and think oh my gosh, I'm just like my mom. I like you have always known and recognized the ways I am like my dad, my mom has been the surprise. I like the silly part that I get from my mom, and her mothering. The last of our trip you blogged really well as usual. I am going to try to do something different, but I am slow in getting to it. I am hoping to blog tomorrow. I didn't know you were so opposed to Greg carrying a gun. I have to admit, every time I see your dad take out our gun it gives me the creeps. I am still glad we have it, but it still is weird. I am sure Greg will get a job. It think like my sister said to me, if people really want a job they can get one. I think that is probably true. I love you !!! I had such a great time, it was really good for me as well as fun. I am glad work is good and that Oshine (I know I spelled that wrong) loves you so much, how could he not, you are pretty loveable!
Lots of info- ok the peeing guy- oh my gosh! So funny. I'm sure it was pee. THe economy- I'm glad you are finally realizing the situation, I knew you didn't realize what was going on over here. So you're at the panic stage, it will pass and you'll realize, one day at a time,and you have lots of family that can take care of you- mom and dad own their homes, so we acn live with them if it REALLY GETS that BAD. Europe- chocolates- Yummmmmmmm. ok fat? Mom said you were so freakin skinny. And Mike said the same thing after looking at your blog. All the pics of mom are really cute- and the one of you. That is so sad tah Greg can't work for Nato afterwards- that's wierd they don't hire. But that is seriosuly such an amazing reference, that will ike get him into so many jobs, that sets him apart from so many people! That is awesome and well worth it. Right now you want all you can to set yourself apart from peoplek, Greg as alot to set himself apart. I'm not concerned about you guys. Fireman- interesting. I can so see it caues he's so big and buff. He looks like a fireman. love oyu!
Okay, what a fun and random post! It sounds like you had such a wonderful time with your mom, espcially with that haul of chocolate! Holy cow! Zachariah was pretty impressed by them, he brought me some too, but WAY more expensive than the awesome deal y'all got. He had a lot of fun visiting :)
The potent gas story had me CRACKING up. Really, it is hilarious!! hahaha!! I'm glad you both have thus far survived and am hoping you continue to do so! ;D
Megan, you are hilarious! Seriously, your random little thoughts and stories crack me up! I love it!
We're worried about jobs here, too. Just when we were hoping I could quit working, they're talking of closing the school where Sean works. And he's getting less time working for the summer school and I was thinking along the same lines you were - maybe he can just work retail or at a Subway or something, but I don't think even those jobs are available. Just pray and hope for the best, I guess!
Oh! I forgot to comment on the chocolates! Wow, the deals you got were impressive but that is a whole-heck-of-a-lot-of chocolate. Stop reminding me of the leftovers we still have from Easter or Ethan won't be getting the ears off his chocolate bunny! ;)
Post a Comment