Saturday, May 23, 2009

Party Time!

Well, Thursday was a Belgian holiday so Greg had the day off. Woohoo!!! So we went to Brugge. I was really happy. We LOVE Brugge. Since we're going home in 7 weeks, we weren't sure if we were gonna get another chance to go. But this time was BY FAR the most fun because . . . we rode thru the town on bicycles!
Oh my gosh! Anyone who's traveled a city on foot knows how every inch of your body (on the inside) HURTS by nightfall. Oh, it's just painful. Walking on that horrible cobblestone straight for 12 hours does your body NO GOOD. Zipping around on a bike left my body achy-free! Oh it was wonderful!!! And I just LOVE riding a bike! I remember every time I randomly get on a bike. I just love feeling the wind blow on my face and feeling free! That sounds a little cheesy, but it's the absolute truth. I will admit, my buns were DEFINITELY aching by the end of the day. We invited some new interns that JUST moved here. On the left are Calese and Tyler (they are married) and on the right are Garret and Tristan. Garret got here the DAY BEFORE!!! Is he insane or what?!
Greg and I are often mocked because of how we bring our lunches to work and everywhere else we go. But this time around everyone was jealous that we'd brought our own, along with 3 big water bottles to save money. Garret just kept saying, "Man, you guys know what you're doing!" I kept forgetting they all just arrived. They were all complaining about things that used to drive me CRAZY, but now I never think of it. It was kinda funny.


Waiting on some steps, outside a lace shop.

If you notice, to the left, there is a normal looking belgian house with a random giant tower attached in the corner. Is that odd looking or what?

If you look close, you can see Greg running up the hill.
Wait for it, wait for it-
ROLLING DOWN THE HILL!!!!!
(notice the girl on the left, rolling down as well)
Rolling, rolling, rolling and then they JUST miss each other.
I was a little nervous. They were getting closer and closer and Greg was rolling SO FAST I thought he was going to crush her, but he heard us all yelling at him to stop- PHEW!!! As I'm watching my husband roll violently down this hill I'm thinking, "Wow, that looks painful." He jumps up and exclaims loudly, "Wow! That was fun! I wanna do it again!" Another wonder. Crazy thing is, every time Greg and I go on a walk and catch a hill in sight he automatically says, "That would be SO FUN to roll down." Hmmm . . . not to me.

Ok, this was pretty incredible. It was a holiday so there was a parade! We waited over an hour for this parade. We almost left, because someone told us it was going to start when we GOT there, but it FINALLY started.
There were sheep . . .

And camels- LOTS of camels!
It was CRAZY!!!!! The whole parade was the story of Christ's life on earth, starting with Adam and Eve. It was CRAZY!!!! So many people were involved and it went on and on for well over an hour. We left before it ended! I really enjoyed it! It had Moses and Abraham. People would act out scenes as they passed, like Joseph being sold into captivity, then he gave food to his family later. It was incredible. Then it had Mary and Joseph with a LIVE baby in a stable float. Christ teaching the priests and Mary and Joseph being worried. Christ riding on a donkey. It had EVERYTHING!!!

I forgot to mention earlier . . . the train ride. It was PACKED that day and we were making our way to the train when it pulled up and then suddenly I remembered the last time we went to Brugge there were people that couldn't get a seat and had to stand by the bathrooms. Sudden panic set in and we RUN to the train. Each cart we pass is PACKED FULL of people! No room to even board. We debate and then suddenly I go, "Let's just get on!" So we squeeze in and stand the whole way there. There were people in there with us, but it was reasonably comfortable. I sat down on the ground the whole way.

Ok. The way back. No space. Sardine-like, touching people on all sides. Body odor. Some kids feet ON TOP of mine because he's sitting next to me and there's NO ROOM, NO ROOM, NO ROOM. Here's a picture, but it truly does NO justice. This is me leaning back as far as I can to get them all in.I felt really bad. Calese didn't want to get on, I think she felt closterphobic. Greg and I managed really well, but c'mon, why do they sell more tickets than there are seats? Garret was crammed against the door. If it flew open for some reason, he'd be a gonner. But, if they didn't do this, we probably wouldn't have been able to go at all.
It was not pleseant, but after 1/2 hour, we were able to move into the isles, which was much more breathable. And this is random, there was a live STARFISH on the floor all slimed up in the isle. What the heck? And kind of sad. I ended up talking to a Belgian woman the whole way back and it was a lot of fun. She spole incredible English and her daughter was getting a kick out of hearing me speak English, I think. She would just smile after everything I said.

Well, my vacation is almost over. It's bedtime and then work in the morning- darnit! Oh well, only 6 more weeks! Yes! I am excited!!! I am REALLY hoping it flies by.

10 comments:

zachariah said...

Love Brugge!! Soak it all up, Belgium was one of our favorite places, and for me the one place I've most felt like home since moving from Seattle so many years ago. Love the hill rolling, fun sport. I've been teaching the twids how this past 6 months, we have lots of fun sand dunes that they like to roll down. They call it tumble-bumbling, and I usually am required to tumble-bumble with them.

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Oh the memories!!! I remember walking down all those cobblestone streets!! That parade was crazy!!! It amazes me that it was religious. How fun to go with those other people and to RIDE BIKES!!! I haven't ridden a bike in years! It looked like so much fun and I loved the pics of you riding the bike! Did you get to see the lace makers?
6 weeks crazy, I can't wait! You might have to bring me some chocolate! love you!!!!!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Oh and I'm with you about the rolling down the hill, that is funny that Greg still likes to do that!

Emily said...

Okay, that all sounds like SO MUCH FUN! Seriously all of it, riding bikes, the parade, the train, rolling down the hill (I also think that's fun)...I had a smile on my face the whole time I read that post. I'm so glad you guys had such a fun vacation!

Rochelle said...

Seriously the walking can get so TIRING! Way to go riding bikes. A sore tush is better than aching feet and legs. I love your red sunglasses! And...a starfish on the train?...weird...great post...lots of fun...

Lizzie said...

How fun!!! That whole day trip looks like a dream. The bikes...I'm like you. Whenever I get on one, I always think, "why don't I do this more often". I want to get a bike with a wagon to pull the kids in the back, but they're super expensive. The parade...very cool.

Your best friend, Ashley said...

new interns!!? i wish we were some of them!!!

looks like another successful trip!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

Oh! I totally like the idea of traveling by bike as opposed to on foot all day... how fun! And I love that you guys were smart and packed your own lunches and remembered water bottles. That train ride, though?! UGH!! What a pain in the booty to be crammed in there like that. I would not be a happy camper by the time I got home after riding that.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I love it Meg, it looks like soooo much fun. I am way excited for you to come home. You will be so glad to be back to the regular grind. We take so much for granted over here. There are a lot of people that are planning for things to happen here. people just ordinary ones that are doing things like storing food 72 hour packs and other things, because they are so concerned about the economy now. There was an article in the paper today about them. You and I are just doing what the Prophet tells us and they don't know about that they are just concerned. I love that you rode bikes. Yikes I don't know if I coulod have rode the train, I HATE tight quarters. Hugs and Kisses grams

fiona said...

Oh, that looked so fun!! Just kind of free and relaxing! Especially compared to all the walking that is inevitable in those circumstances. What a great idea, to ride bikes!