Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Things I've Been Meaning to Post

Things have been happening throughout the month, but I just didn't want to get around to blogging such a small thing. So here they are- all together! Around a month ago, Greg and I went up to Portland to visit Jeff and Hilary and my brother and his family. It was a nice weekend. We stayed the first night at Jake and Lynsdey's. We hadn't seen the kids in over a year so it was good to see them. Jake made us DELICIOUS meals and we stayed up late watching funny youtube videos. It was fun! The next morning we met Richie for brunch.
Richie's an old friend of Greg's. He walked us around Portland and showed us cool little spots. The second night we stayed at Jeff and Hilary's. It was nice. We soaked in the hot tub, watched Seinfeld and went to church in the morning. The whole weekend was sort of rushed, but we just couldn't wait any longer to see them!

Greg has been on this MAJOR kick of wanting to "survive in the wild". I couldn't tell you how many times, after the sun has already fallen, he says to me, "I wanna sleep outside tonight." Meaning, "Can I sleep outside tonight?" One of the major "wants" of sleeping outside is the opportunity to make fire. So far, his efforts have sadly been unsuccessful. However, it has been raining. He really wants to make fire with a bow/string method. Is that the right terminology? I don't know.
But really, who wants to sleep like this??? (this is Chris, his brother)
It was really cold that night and Chris couldn't sleep, so they came in around 3am. I wasn't surprised. It's pretty hilarious though. We went to my parent's house last week and he kept going out to explore and plan where a good spot to sleep would be and he even tried to make fire, but everything was too wet! As much as this part of Greg is so beyond my comprehension, I love this part of him. It's like the "little boy" in him that won't go away. I love it.

A couple weeks ago Greg and I were able to stay at Amy and Mikes for a night. It was so good to be there! It's honestly a second home! I felt so at ease, immediately. We ate cookies and talked just like old times. The next morning Greg went to REI's Scratch 'n Dent and Amy and I went to shop for wigs. It was really fun! We were surprised how good they looked. She ended up getting one last week that looks great. It's a little blondish.
Last week we got to see my sister Danielle. I didn't get any pics, but it was really good to see her. It's crazy, she's my little sister of 21, but she and her husband are just beginning their careers, bought their first home and are probably gonna start their family soon! I'm so happy for them! Such an exciting time. Amy was there also and one night the 3 of us stayed up way late watching youtube videos- mostly of Miley Sirus. Ha ha. It was funny, most of it was Dan showing us stuff Amy and I had never heard of. It was like we were the "old fogies" all out of touch. It made us laugh.

My parents also moved from Yachats to Newport, so we helped them with that. I like their new house. I'm glad about the move. They have this sweet little trail down to the beach and I LOVE IT! It's like a little adventure. I kept imaging running down it with my kids and got all excited for the future.

Greg and I have been surprisingly been keeping really busy! I've been working on all kinds of computer projects. I'm trying to put together my blurb book of Europe as well as a cookbook of Pat's recipes. They're both coming along, but I can only stare at a computer screen for so long. The work comes in waves. I've been really into Faith of Our Fathers, a civil war series I'm reading. It's making me really want to read other books, about the underground railroad, or something in that category. Any recommendations? Greg and I also bought a program to learn Spanish on the computer. Greg already understands and speaks very well, but he wants to freshen up and become fluent. I'm way pumped about it, because I don't know any spanish. I've done 3 lessons so far. It's called Fluenz. We really like it. It really drills you. I've taken advantage of having endless amounts of time, and started cooking a lot! Chicken Pot Pies, Beans, Pudding, No Bakes. It's been really fun. Cooking's sort of become therapeutic for me.

Greg's took his first test for the Medford Police yesterday. He thinks he did very well. The next test is in 4 weeks. We REALLY want this job and are talking about it all the time. Every week we find out something new that makes us want it that much more. He would only work 3 - 4 days a week, which means he'd be AROUND. We would like this idea anytime, but especially for when our family is young (assuming we'll be getting some kiddos in the next 5 years). The work is really interesting to Greg, which means he'd be coming home a happy man, which makes me happy too. There's plenty of opportunities he could pursue in the field, SWAT or detective/investigator stuff. So basically we're really excited and hopefully he gets it!

14 comments:

Emily said...

Good luck with the job!!
Sounds like you guys have been way busy having fun, I'm so glad.

Greg reminds me of the guy on Survivorman...Steve loves that show.

Lindy and Bryce Ellsworth said...

Hey! How are you? We miss you guys! It sounds like you've been busy having fun with family and friends! How exciting if Greg gets the job he's wanting. We wish you the best of luck with each test. Did your parents buy a new place, or move into one they already owned??? Hope you have a great rest of the week!

Kristi M. said...

Good luck with the job! It will most likely help him with future opportunities through networking with others. That is how it all works. You get an "in" and then keep your ears open for other opportunities. Greg's all of a sudden need for wilderness made me laugh. Jeff and I really want to come out within the next year and visit. We would love to see all of you. We already have a place to stay with your parents. Not sure why we haven't been there sooner. Oh ya, I would love to see pictures of your final blurb books. I am also working on one of the first year of my blog and they are pretty time consuming.

Matt and Christy said...

Good luck with the police job! I heard that he had a lot of fun on his ride-along. A couple of book recommendations: "I Love a Cop" by Ellen Kirschman, and "Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement" by Kevin Gilmartin. Both of these books explain some of the changes that happen for a new police officer. They will also give you advice on how to deal with the new career, and how to help Greg cope with some of the changes that will occur, especially during the Academy and Field Training. If you ever have any questions, let me know! Good luck.

Jill said...

I love your posts!!! :) Good luck with Greg's testing for the police--I can totally say it is AWESOME having Wade work 4 days on, 3 off!!!!!!!!! It is sooo nice having a husband for 3 whole stinking days! Waiting around for Greg to go thru academy will be the hardest part, but worth it! And the uniform totally makes me a happy girl. I know, probably too much information ;o) but I love a guy in uniform! he he! I'm so happy for you guys!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

nice catch up. - love you

Grandma, Nonnie said...

All great news and I loved the part about Greg wanting to sleep outside. That just shows you they are all somewhat alike, grandpa used to always talk about sleeping under the stars and watching the moon rise. How silly is that, course he was about Greg's age. My mom your granny Biggs used to say that "all men are just little boys grown tall" I guess she was right. Hugs grams

Lizzie said...

You guys are so ambitious. So much energy. Can I borrow some? I'm just not promising to pay you back. = ) Meg, is your phone number still Randy's old phone? I'm always a little scared to try, assuming you have a new one now. Will you email me with the number you're using right now.

Wow, all that cooking. Chicken pot pies?? Love them, but huge pain in the bum to make. Again, you have so much energy!!!

Mom said she couldn't have done the move without you guys. It was really nice of you guys to help so much.

I can't believe Greg voluntarily sleeps outside. We are all so unique from each other.

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

exciting month!! I'm so glad you had time with your sisters! Greg will probably always be the Scout Master. I always wanted to work with the youth and the Lord gave me what I wanted. Greg always wants to be in the wild, so...scout camping trips! I think it is so cool you have gotten into cooking. I am glad it makes you feel good. If the test is any reflection of Greg getting the job, he is so smart it should be a no brainer. I hope you guys get the job since you want it so much. I'm glad you like the move we made. Love you!!!!!

HeidiT said...

Good luck with the job! Sounds like you guys have been staying busy. Learning Spanish...I am jealous, I wish I knew how, I think it would be a very useful language to know.

zachariah said...

I'm with Greg, wilderness survival is fun. If he get's the bow method for fire starting to work I'll be in awe of his skills. I tried it with my scouts a couple of years back and couldn't even get smoke!

Jenni said...

Gol, SO much good stuff! I'm so glad you've been getting to spend so much time with family! Isn't it the best ever?! And I can't believe that your parents moved!!! They keep moving out of houses that have so many special memories! First Janus st, then Idaho st. Such special places! But I'm excited to see their new place someday.

Also,I totally love how adventerous Greg is! Your blog is always so exciting!!

Our Pratt Pack said...

Good luck with the job, we love Medford the weather is so much better than Eugene!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

I can't get over how your family is all spaced out. Such a foreign concept to me when my parents and younger sisters live about 8 minutes away! Of course, Sean's family is in SoCal, BYU and eastern Penn. You've been busy though!