For Christmas, Mom, Dad, Amy, Mike, Greg and I piled in Mom and Dad's van to set off for Idaho. It was going to be my sister's first Christmas without her girls so we couldn't just leave her alone on Christmas, now could we? I was surprised how well the drive went- granted I didn't have to drive at all. Even so, it passed quickly and pleasantly enough. Well, I was pretty bad and hardly took any pictures. For Greg and I both, the best part was spending time with Gracie, Anna and Aliese. We love those girls! To me, they are beautiful angels! Gracie is still young and loves to play. She is the cutest thing ever. Greg taught Anna how to waltz. They were so cute to watch. Aliese is maturing so fast. She's no longer a little girl! I couldn't believe that she wanted skin care products and bedding for Christmas. She's crossed the line and her teen years are straight ahead. It was so fun just to dance, talk and hang out with them. We love them so much!
Christmas Eve had some unexpected events. Danielle and I drove to Walmart to pick up a few things and the POWER WENT OUT!!!! We were standing in an isle and suddenly you hear this quiet whoom. And the lights go out and then it's suddenly silent. Then you hear all the voices reacting to what just happened. All the registers were out, except 2, and luckily Dan and I made it out in fairly good time. It was nuts. There were so many people there. Of all days, I felt really bad for whoever was managing there. We drove home to find Danielle's home out of power, as well, and the turkey was already in the oven!!!! So it was taken out and moved to Rebecca's house, because she had power. So Rebecca and I went over there to make rolls, mashed potatoes and fudge. It was great just being alone with her. I like one on one time. Thankfully the power eventually came back on and we were able to have Christmas Eve dinner at Danielle's, as planned.
Christmas Eve was full of Arnold tradition. We started out with a very traditional feast- turkey, mashed potatoes, rolls- and what Arnold could leave out the sweet potatoes smothered in butter, brown sugar and pecans? On to getting comfy on the couches and reading of Christ's birth from the Bible. Since we had children there with us, we acted out the whole thing. I was an angel who announced Christ's birth to the shepherds. Gracie was Mary and it was the sweetest thing. I loved to see her rock baby Jesus in her arms, smiling. After that we opened presents. Danielle and Clay had Greg and I and Danielle MADE us aprons!!!
She did an AMAZING job. She is an incredible seamstress. Real quality work. And they totally match our kitchen that is full of RED everything!!! After presents we got out homemade caramels, peanut butter balls, cookies, chocolate pies and almond roca. These are present at every Arnold Christmas, without fail. We finished the night with a Christmas movie, Christmas Story. It was quite the family film and I LOVED IT!!! It was about an orphan boy somewhere in Finland and how he became Santa Clause. I'm pretty sure I cried, or almost did. I loved it.
All the girls and Greg made gingerbread houses. This is Greg and Aliese.
This is Gracie with her American Girl Doll. Amy made their matching outfits.
I was more pumped than ever to give my parents their gifts this year. I hate picking out gifts and know I'm not very good at it, but this year was different. My Mom is a little obsessed with santa decor, so I bought one for her while I was in Germany, last Christmas. I wanted to get her a "european" santa. As for my Dad, he loves to listen, watch and read about WW2 and while we were in Bastogne, Belgium we were able to get American bullets that were found on the battlegrounds of The Battle of the Bulge. Really exciting! He was happy to have them.
The day of Christmas we went to see this house that would light up in rhythm with Christmas music! They played select songs on a radio station so we parked in front, listened and watched and it was so much fun! We loved it!
10 comments:
SO FUN!!! Your apron is about the cutest thing I have ever seen...way to go Danielle! I think it's great that you guys all got to be together for Christmas, I'm sure it was much appreciated that you guys made the drive.
All that candy you described is making my mouth water.
the last picture is funny because- I didn't know Gracie was on Rebecca's lap- but I KNEW she was on her lap when we were there- does that make sense? I wish we had all the candy back- Great post- I didn't take any pictures either so I just need to steal what I can from you guys. by the way- look at my post- it will make you laugh- and I LOVE your apron, I want to steal it- I love the style and colors. I thought it was so thoughtful that she matched it to your colors. love you-
Great post. I'm glad you like your aprons! They look great on. I'm glad you had a good time...it was so fun for me to have you guys here. I love you! I wish you guys lived closer...
The aprons are cute and I love the pictures of the girls. They truly are angles and so sweet. I am glad everyone loves the candy tradition. It wouldn't be Christmas without it. Hugs grams
Christmas sounded like tons of fun. I love homemade aprons and yours are so cute. We have a house nearby that also rents a radio station and syncronizes the lights. Gunnar was mesmorized watching it.
Mmmm...all those homemade goodies sound divine! I'm glad y'all had a great Christmas, family is the best!
Thanks for loving my girls so much. They love both of you so much too. You made Christmas great for them. When it was all over and you were all gone Aliese looked at me and said with relief, satisfaction, and amazement, "We did it. We did Christmas without Dad." What she didn't say was that she didn't bawl her eyes out or pout the whole time, but I know she was thinking it. It was great. Thanks for coming, distracting us, loving us, and constantly entertaining my girls. Love you.
I LOVE LOVE your apron. It is so cute. I just love the girls hats that match their dolls. Thanks for posting all those pictures. The food sounds heavenly.
That was a great summary of our weekend. I loved it! I was glad you got pics at that house! Love you!! Oh on Sunday someone I hadn't met yet came up to me and said that her and several other sisters wanted to know where I got my hair done. I told them it was my daughter in Medford. They were pretty sad. It's great to have the best hair dresser! :-)
I just got caught up on all your posts! It sounds like you had a delicious Christmas! Your b-day is only a couple of days a way...we should have you guys over for dinner this weekend!
Post a Comment