Sunday, January 16, 2011

Teething Stinks

I can't believe I'm ready to say this- but I'm ready for the teething to be done. But, in reality, it's barely begun. It STINKS!!!! She just cries and there's nothing to be done but suffer through together! Thank goodness for Tylenol. It seems to do the trick. All the pain went away last week and it was smooth sailing and then today- BAM! At church, all back again- out of nowhere. Couldn't finish her bottle and was freaking out the whole time. And then we came home and she was just crying on and off, quite hysterically, no matter what I did. Until that blessed Tylenol kicked in. Then we had some peace. Poor thing. I get so frustrated until I see her sad face and then I just feel so sad for her and realize I shouldn't be angry. One thing, that has been even MORE confirmed through this whole process is . . .

My baby LOVES to be sung to. I thought that she just loved music- which she does. I wasn't TOO surprised to see her enjoyment when we sing to her, what baby or person doesn't enjoy music? But the other day I was watching tv (with Scarlet, I know) and suddenly a Glee preview comes on and Rachel is singing (oh I love that voice of hers) and Scarlet smiles and starts FREAKING OUT and laughing! She LOOOOOOOOVED it. I couldn't believe how she was reacting! She always loves when Greg plays the guitar and sings for her and I've TRIED to play the piano, but she's not into it. It always confused me, because personally- I prefer the piano. You get so much more melody and all KINDS of other sounds, other than a chord. Then today I played AND sang and BAM! No more crying and she fell right to sleep, in her little moby wrap. It seems each time she has a fit I realize, "SING TO HER" and then she quiets. It makes me feel like she's gonna be a singer! I mean, Greg and I are both musical and love to sing and play music all the time, so I assumed she'd be musical as well, but she seems to really love the voice. We'll see . . .

Man, I keep getting these realizations about how easy I have it. I just don't know how I'd do it if she wasn't easy. I've been feeling so "exhausted" and WHINEY because I have to wake up a few times a night to put her pacifier back in. She goes right back to sleep, and so do I. I was just so accustomed to our 8 hours of solid sleep we both got for a month. And this teething thing has disrupted it all. But then I hear people mention their babies getting up every 3 hours or needing to be soothed. Oh man, that would be so hard and makes me realize how easy I have it. Scarlet hasn't been awake at night since her first month! She'll wake up or whatever, but she always goes right back down after a tighter swaddle/feed/pacifier. I know they all won't be this way. I'm just so glad I get to start parenthood off like this. I just don't know how others do it. I suppose you just adjust to life, whatever it's doing.

I have some videos of Scarlet, I need to post them! Man, it's also been a realization that I need to take care of myself! If I don't eat healthy, or often enough or go to bed early enough I am a cranky, impatient Mommy! And I hate that! I hate when I get like that with her! When I'm frustrated because I'm tired or hungry and she's not even doing anything wrong. She's just awake and wants my attention and I'm too tired to give it. It makes me feel bad.

I was so excited to feed her foods and I only have TWICE! I can't believe it! I've been so bad! I wait too long, 'till she's way too impatient to accidentally swallow some food. The second time I fed her, she reacted a lot more and MAYBE accidentally swallowed one bite. I said that to Greg and he said that's how she was the first time. I thought she ate everything last time! I guess I was just so excited and camera happy I wasn't paying attention. It's making me wonder how long it's gonna take 'till she gets the hang of it. I have no idea. A week? A month? Who knows! I guess I'll find out. But she'll never get there if I don't get off my lazy bum and feed her some food!

And I know none of you care- but I lost 2 more pounds!!!! Yea! It's slowly melting off. 17 more to go. The number's getting smaller. It makes me happy.

8 comments:

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Teething does stink! I hated it! And yes those sweet little things can make us impatient until we see there little face and then we melt. She is a good baby, but you needed her right now with all the uncertainty you have had to deal with. Heavenly Father knows what we need and takes care of us! I have vivid memories of singing to the the little newborns when they would cry. I think most of us love to be sung to. congrats on the weight! I am still having a hard time. I lost last week really good, but this weekend has been really hard for me! agghhhh, oh well, I'll get it together.
love you!!I'm grateful you blog, thanks!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Oh sweetie, teething does stink, and it is so hard, because she is in pain and doesn't understand why. It becomes hard for you and her. I have always sung to all of my grandchildren, and the great ones when the occasion comes around, and why wouldn't they love it? They love our faces best and talking soooo they love love to hear a melody of talking. Makes perfect sense to me. It will get better, and you could try the num-it, or something like that. I forget what it is called ask the druggest. Also they have teething rings that you can freeze, so try to find one and she can chew on that and it will comfort her, or at least it helped mine. I love you and miss you would love to see you. Hugs and kisses

Danielle said...

I LOVE posts like this.

I love love love that she loves singing. That was so sweet to hear. Maybe she'll be a singer! I love it!

Sorry she's teething...that sounds stinky.

Congrats about the weight! I love you soooo much.

Blair and Leslie said...

Have you tried baby orajel? Michael loves it. It doesn't work for a long time, but it may work until the Tylenol kicks in. It will get better. Michael got 4 teeth at the same time, so hopefully Scarlet will just get as many teeth & then take a break before the next set.
I don't think you need to worry so much about feeding Scarlet 'real' food. It will take a while for her to catch on to the whole swallowing thing. Michael is almost 8 months old now - and sometimes all he wants to do is just play with the food and not really eat it. All I can say is just try to enjoy each step of the way.

Aliese the Writer said...

That sounds awful. Lizzie had some dissolving medicine that she put in Elle's mouth when she started teething (I think). I seeing her soon. I'll ask her. I hope she gets feeling better soon! I love you! :)

AMY AND MIKEY said...

ofcourse we care! that's awesome you lost 2 pounds- you are going to town! You are a losing machine my goodness. That is so cool that scarlet loves to hear singing! That is so cool! What a great thing to realize! i wonder if she'll be a singer. I miss her so much I need to be around her!!!! thanks for bloggin,g i hate it when you go a long time. love you.

Kristi M. said...

Some babies take a little longer to grow out of the reflex that causes them to push everything back out. I've started my boys at 6 months to hopefully avoid that all together. She'll get the hang of it. Thankfully babies don't need to get really any of their nutrients from solids until after 1 years old. Brecken loves singing too. It must be super soothing to babies.

Sutherlands said...

Crongrats on losing weight!

I just got caught up on your blog. It has been so long since we saw you last...and the few minutes at Randy's party before you had to skedadle don't count! We are going to Hawaii in two and a half weeks, but after we get back you guys shoud come over for dinner!

Good luck with the teething! Austin has started in on it too! Ugh! We had a few nights where he was up every hour and a half...and the drool! He is soaking through outfits like crazy some days.