Greg and I went blackberry picking on the side of the road. It kind of stunk because it was right next to a ditch so the whole time I felt like I was going to fall INTO the blackberries. But after awhile this man came up to us on the other side of the fence and said we could come on his property and pick some more. So nice! It was SO MUCH BETTER. So we set Scarlet down and she opened up a BIG container and started playing in the berries. Whoops. It was the hottest day.
Mom came to visit! It had been over a year! Way too long. Scarlet got to unwrap a present for the very first time! I was excited. She was too little at Christmas to rip open presents.
Mom made this cute little blanket with little dolls tucked inside.
She liked it! I'm thinking she'll only like it more as she gets older.
Some of the high lites of her visit- we made Chef Brad recipes and they all turned out good. That was fun. We ordered a mill for grinding grains. That was exciting. We went to ZUMBA at church. Scarlet cried and needed to be held almost the ENTIRE time. Mom held her until I twisted my ankle, then I took over for awhile. We went to Jacksonville- our favorite place. Mom treated me to a really yummy lunch at the coolest restaurant. They had an outside deck that almost felt underground. There was this tree that made a ceiling with it's twisty vines. It was really intense, but in a good way. It was really yummy too. She bought me some goodies at a fun kitchen store and I did her hair.
We also hiked Table Rock.
We decided to find a cache while we were up there and Mom found it! I was glad she spotted it first, because it was her first time.
What a great pic.
Officially my favorite picture of Scarlet. I think she looks so gorgeous in this picture!
Scarlet loves to swing. I mean LOVES. She's pretty funny, well I wouldn't say FUNNY. It's not fun at all. But now I can't stroll past the park unless we go and play. She'll just start whining as we pass, until we turn in.
She FREAKS OUT when she swings, she loves it so much. It's really cute. Greg pushes her really high. I guess I do now, too. Whenever we have other kids in the swing next to us- older kids, she's always swinging way higher than them.
Time has been passing by. I'd love to say I've been too busy to blog, but honestly- I've just been busy OR watching Felicity on Netflix. I just go from one tv addiction to the other. Maybe someday it will stop??? Whenever I mention watching too much tv, my friends always respond with how they NEVER watch tv. Literally NEVER. This boggles my mind and then I feel really weird about watching SOOOO much tv, sometimes (not all the time, but sometimes it IS a lot). But I realize, these people have more kids, more errands to run, etc. And they physically aren't even ABLE to watch tv. Scarlet takes 2 naps a day and has to eat at pretty regular times (like 6 times a day!) so at this point in my life, I am sort of house bound. You know, to a point. So if I indulge in some tv now and again, I decided I'm fine with it.
Things have been good. I've been really in goal-making mode. More than ever. But I've actually been making realistic and important goals. I mean, one has SORT of faded, but it's more been a schedule thing than a "drop of the goal" thing. In a way I feel funny focusing SO MUCH on my self improvement, like it's selfish and I should be completely focused on others instead of myself. But I decided I'm fine with that too, now. It's ok to self improve and I just feel like it's my season. As in everything has it's own season and right now it's mine. It's hard for me to do things for other people right now. Like making appointments and going here and there STRESSES ME OUT with a baby. I'm getting better and it's not like I do NOTHING, but I'm rarely volunteering for things at church. I just think, "Well, what am I going to do with Scarlet?" It's just what occurs in my mind and I can't bring myself to do whatever it is. So if I'm gonna be home this much I'm going to just get some major goals accomplished. (I hope I don't sound like a hermit- I really do get out of the house and do things, I think right now I'm just home more than the average person.)
Ok, Greg and I have been on a major health sensation right now! I can't believe how we've progressed! At first all these changes felt a little overwhelming but now I feel like I'm getting the hang of everything I wanted to do! For instance, we kicked the sweets over a month ago and have been going pretty strong. Around the same time I got in a total Chef Brad kick and started incorporating whole grains into multiple meals a week. That's where I started to get a little overwhelmed. So many grains, I kept forgetting what was what, how to use or cook what. What does it go with? But suddenly today, it just clicked and we on the spot through some amaranth in some soup and left over barley in some bread. THAT'S the latest. Bread. I started to make bread when I was pregnant, but then after I had Scarlet it was just an automatic STOPPER. Making bread sounded SO overwhelming. But we out of the blue got a Mill to grind grains and blah blah blah I MADE 4 LOAVES OF BREAD TODAY!!!! But the miraculous part about it was that it was so not stressful!!!! It was no big deal at all! It seemed FAST! And FUN! And it made me feel like a good Mom. I mean, seriously, bread has nothing to do with the goodness of a Mom, but none the less, it made me feel that way. Anyway, and just like that- I think I'm gonna be a bread maker now. I'm feelin' like this is gonna stick. Yum. I've also been reading this fabulous book called Simple Food for Busy Families. Greg and I ordered it 'cause we thought it would help us with eating whole foods and it's AWESOME. Totally great, informative book about nutrition and food and it literally goes through all these whole foods, one by one and tells the nutrition, how to prep, buy, store, cook the food and tells what it GOES with. I don't know. We're really excited about it so we can start cooking things we don't know what to do with- like callard greens and things you see at the store or know the term, but don't actually know how to eat them. I've been reading it pretty constantly the last week or so.
As much as we haven't been exercising as much as we have in the PAST, it's definitely a goal, and I feel like the only reason we've lessened up is simply because of scheduled business.
I've been reading Church History for Latter Day Saint Families when I eat breakfast and I have learned so much. That has been a goal too. To study/read regularly.
I have been combatting my OCD about cleaning and getting "everything done". Granted, it still hasn't vanished but I feel like I'm making stride. I'm so much more relaxed throughout the day. I mean, EVERYTHING is never done at once, so if I won't stop until I'm done- I'll never be done! Which was sort of happening. Not very good.
Another miraculous realization is GETTING UP in the morning. Ever since Scarlet was born, I just sleep in and wait for her to get up. So every morning, unless it's one of those rare-mega- sleep-in-days, the moment she wakes I'm just like, "Uh- I wish it was later!" It just starts the day off bad. And usually it's 'cause I stay up late, hoping she'll sleep in, so I just set myself up for badness. But I realized . . . Scarlet always wakes up by 7:30. If I just get up at 7am, I can eat before she even wakes. I can eat in peace. I can eat first thing (important for my body). And then if she wakes at 7:15 or even 7am it's no big deal- I'm already up! And if I'm already up, I have enough time to get my morning ritual done. Also, if I'm up by 7, unless she sleeps in, I can definitely eat, read scriptures, feed and dress her and get out walking by 8! That is no problem. A whole hour to get all that done. Cake. And THAT would mean, I could walk for an HOUR and still be home by 9am. 9AM!!!! That is still so early. Scarlet goes down at 10am in which I can IMMEDIATELY take a shower, get cutesied up, and she's still asleep and I'm completely ready for my day. It all falls in line perfectly. I'd be so much more useful to others. Anyway. When I just wait for her to wake, this is so not even close to what happens. Anyway. I realized this, and I've been doing this (for the most part) and it's been GREAT. So much better. Life changing better. This works because now I don't stay up hoping she'll sleep in. I know I'm waking at 7, so I have to go to bed by a reasonable hour. Anyway. This is what I've been up to.
Scarlet is going through the most horrible phase. A phase of YELLING. It's not crying, it's not whining, it is YELLING. Yelling all the time, instantaneously. It's the worst. That's all I'm going to say.
Greg's schedule is about to change and it's going to be wonderful. Not perfect, but 10x better than the schedule he has now. He'll be able to go to sacrament meeting now, I'll be able to attend ZUMBA child-free, instead of having ONE possible night, a week, for a get together with friends, it will now be 2-3. His hours don't match mine and Scarlet's, but they're not complete opposite, as they are now. He won't have to sleep all day on his days off. It will be more like just sleeping in. So he can wake up and still have the whole day with us, instead of just the night. It seems, each week, I realize another way it's going to be so much better. And I'm so excited.
11 comments:
I don't remember what caused it but around a year old the babies start to yell. I wondered if it was just because they were frustrated by the things they can't do. I dunno but it starts around a year. Sounds like you are making lots of progress on your life skills. I am so happy for you and making bread is a big thing. Hiking exercising wow!!! Good for you and I think it is wonderful that you are able to let go of the sweets. Good job! Love you and miss you hope to get to see you soon. Hugs and Kisses
Great blog! I have gotten some of my pics ready to blog, and then I am going to blog my trip. You can't pour from an empty pitcher-hence, its important to get your life together first! The only thing I was good at at your age in that dept, was exercise and scriptures. The other stuff I'm still learning!!! I am so happy your made some bread and liked it!!! I'm glad you figured out the morning thing. I finally figured out how to make my hair like the way it was when you first cut it,before we cut it shorter. Your dad likes it better than he has in a long time. Thanks again. I had a great time! love you!!
Oh my gosh- I haven't finished your blog yet, so you will get 2 comments, but I just couldn't focus on the rest because I HAVE to say this about the TV!!!!!!!- OK- I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE SAID TO ME- "Oh we don't watch tv". But guess what? They watch net flix, and hulu. The just for some reason don't consider it "tv". And these people say it with like- PRIDE- "OH we NEVER watch tv", and I'm like- "do you watch hulu?" and they're like- yeah but that's not tv,- OR- they'll say- yeah but we only watch -(and then they name like 5 shows they watch regularly)- SO STUPID. So- I have a hard time believing that these people don't watch tv, because SERIOUSLY megan- i have heard this from SO MANY people, so- next tiem you have this convo- ask- do you watch netflix? do you watch hulu? and see what they say. It DRIVES me crazy.
those pics of mom and scarlet are SOOOOO CUTE! I love that blanket! I love that pic of scarlet asleep with all the berry stains. She is so freakin cute. the health: that is wonderful!!!!! I'm so happy for you guys! It's really overwhelming and time consuming learning about health, becaues these grain things- it's something we've never done! So it takes alot of time and learning! I probably won't be able to get into the grains until my baby is a year! ha. Right now I'm busy with preparing/nesting, and after I'll have a new born! I'll defintely use the pressure cooker for meats and vegi's but the grains sound too overwhelming. I wish we lived by eachother and you could just teach me and tell me what to do. Because- one thing I have learned from this Gest. Diabetes is that i love wheat and want to incorporate it in everything. So- I know I'd love all these other grain things. You should try my palm sugar cookies. They are really good. BUT- I understand the whole- can't just have a few cookies- it's all or nothing! Totally understand. I'm reall yhappy for you gys that you are learning all about it and being so great about it. The goals- wow- I don't think it is bad at all to work on yourself- isn't that the whole point of life on earth? to improve ourselves? To become mroe like god? I think you are just doing that! Figuring out what you want to fix, and workign on it! There is NOTHING wrong with that! I think satan is working a number on you because he sees you are improving and changing and motivated and he doesn't want you to be. You are doing what the scriptures and prophets ask us to do! Improve ourselves! AND service: that's a toughy- but the thing is- like you said- a time and season for everyhting. Mom is in the position to really serve- she has an empty house- you have a 1 year old!!!!!! and a husband who is always gone! The lord does not expect you to make dinners for families or volunteer for enrichment etc. You are expecting way too much out of yourself! Be happy and proud of what you are doing, because you are doing an amazing job at being a mom and wife right now! Also- did you watch the General RElief Society Broadcast? Elder Uchdorf touched on quite a bit of what you were talking about as far as working on self, and how we REALLY need to cut ourselves some slack. ANd that we are WAY TOO hard on ourselves. It's an AWESOME talk. it's online if you missed it. well, I just can't wait to see you at Christmas!!!!!!!!! love you!
Okay- LOVED this blog. You are so inspirational! I have got to say, you know how they always say- you can't love others fully until you love yourself? I think that's a lot like serving and things. It's really important to become your best self- if you are better yourself, you will just be better for others! Does that make sense? Anyway- that is so awesome you figured out a better schedule and stuff. AND your health kick! That's so wonderful. I'm so happy for you. Love you!!!!!!
love the picture of scarlet with blackberry juice all over her. so dang cute. we miss you guys! If you have some time off and want to come up to eugene, just let us know! Chris has started classes, so I'm pretty bored. Also- we live right by off the waffle! isn't that tempting?
Oh man, I know what you mean about the bread thing. I don't make it often (like, never), but when I do it instantly makes me feel like a better mom! So funny. Man after reading your blog I feel like somewhat of a slacker! I roll out of bed in the morning only when Easton makes me get up to get him breakfast, and I don't have a good routine down at all...I am in a VERY lazy phase right now. I wish I lived closer to you so you could teach me about eating healthy.
Okay I have to go run...loved the blog and love you!
I love the blackberry onesie. My kids always look like that! I am so happy for you that Greg is going to get a better schedule! I think setting goals for yourself is great! I don't think that it is selfish at all. I love that picture you said is so beautiful of Scarlet. It really is sooo beautiful! I love her bangs.
that first picture of scarlet with her berires all over her and her TAN TAN legs...I LOVE it. she is sooo cute. thanks for sharing all of that..about your life, your goals, your healthy habits, scarlet and the swing, mom's visit, etc. I love reading about you. Elle has teh same blanket adn is obsessed with it. not at first, but after about 5 months, now she can't live without it. she takes it everywhere with her (if we let her). lov eyou
oh and just read amys comment...totally agree. i hope i'm not one of those people though. we say we don't watch much tv. but honestly we wish we did. shad and I are always trying to find a show we both like to get hooked on. so we can have that blah time, that is oh so nice. = ) i say live it up.
That berry picture is so cute, I bet she had a blast digging into those. You guys are always out hiking and stuff - way to go!
Post a Comment