Friday, July 27, 2012

Kill me, Kill me now

Breastfeeding sucks. I need 6 arms to get this thing done. I feel like I need to be a robot with endless limbs and gadgets to accomplish this. I want to see a breastfeeding video of a newborn baby. THAT DOESN'T EXIST!!!! I want to see someone get a 5 day old baby that is flailing it's arms around, moving it's head back and forth, not opening it's mouth big enough for more than a split second, all the while trying to put your pillows in the right spot for support, trying to get his body in the right position- while your milk is drip drip dripping all over the place and then when you finally go for it- OWEE!!!! And then you have to dig your fingers in and pull those lips out- and it doesn't really work. THIS SUCKS. I feel bad saying it, like I'm not mad at Brighton- I'm just mad at the whole experience. I'm mad at how it's portrayed. I'm sick of these videos of 6 month old babies that have been doing it for months and just sit their calmly and latch on like it's no big deal. Show me a 5 day old baby do this!!! Show it to meeeeeee!!!!!!

Today hasn't been the greatest. I've been feeling insanely spoiled since I had him. I've been saying how great I've been feeling because really I have been and the nursing hasn't been THAT bad. Today- different story. He was INSANELY tired today. Like he never was awake and feeding him was impossible. He would just fall asleep after 2-4 minutes. So then I was all worried- "Why is he so lethargic? Is something wrong?" And suddenly I'm panicked and crying and everything is horrible. But I think everything IS fine. Yesterday he was insanely AWAKE. I commented all day that he wasn't sleeping enough and when he WAS sleeping, he didn't sleep well at all. So I think he was just catching up today, I think it made feeding hard. I'm hoping tomorrow will be a better day.

3 comments:

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

oh the life of a newborn!! They don't cooperate! And I think you are right, they should show a video of a newborn. They are so sleepy and then they scream to eat, and as soon as they suck for a little bit they fall asleep! They sleep too long and then they won't go to sleep, just cry. Thank goodness they get older!!! :-)

Rebecca said...

I’m sorry it was such a hard day for you. The first two months is so hard. I remember clearly the exhaustion and trying to force a child to eat who wants to sleep. And worrying they would starve to death or wake up when I’m finally asleep and want to eat and want to eat then. Just thinking about it makes me shocked I want another baby. Love you. It will get better.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

yeah it totally suck nursing a new born. And everything you described is so normal. all my friends babies sleep all night and they don't wake them up to feed them, and i think it's really wierd because I just feel like all babies at that stage will just sleep forever if you let them. But, mom trained me to wake up and wake the baby up and feed her, so i guess everyone's diff. but I know when I asked my friends, they'd be like "oh no, they sleep all night". So- I don't know what's right or wrong- point is- I knwo ALL babies want to sleep like that at that stage, so there's NOTHING wrong with him, he's completely normal, it's just a matter of if you want to wake up and wake him up and force him to feed, which mom had me do. And the docs said to feed every 2-4 hours, so I guess that's why we did that. OH YEAH- and- for cracked nipples, it's better to feed MORE often, so we would wake her to feed every 2 hours- it's all coming back to me now! ha. So- anyway, but it's all normal. And then the starvation- needing to EAT NOW, and then boom, they're asleep- SO ANNOYING! AND- this stage- mom was with me, so she like made me do everything- and the 6 hands things- yes- you do need 6 hands. we would get everythign ready, prepared, and then mom would like hold maddie's head and just shove it at my boob- and then while i positioned her body, mom would pry open her mouth , it was a 10 person job. I don't know how you're doing it alone! You are truly amazing! Because I told mom SO MANY TIMES "if you weren't here, I'd just send mike to the store to get formula, I hate this! can't we just do a little formula?" if it weren't for mom, i prob would have never lasted. IT SUCKS. but I'm SO GRATEFUL I stuck with it, because for me after 3 weeks, it was WAY less painful, and then at 6, all the pain gone completely. So just STICK TO IT! I'm so sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't understand why it all has to be so painful and exhausting and hard at the beginning!!!!!!!!!!!!! love you! you're doing awesome!