B has gotten REALLY into reading. He'll just grab a book and throw it on your stomach and if you don't read it immediately, he throws a nice little fit, right in your face. So much fun. I do love how much he loves to read now, though. Greg's often reading to the kids after work at the end of the night.
B has ALSO been OBSESSED with BUBBLES. It creates a huge mess and soaks them, but they LOVE IT. Every morning he'd point to the bubble bowl and say, "Buh buh! Buh buh!"
Scarlet loves to pick Brighton up. If they didn't also tumble to the ground, I wouldn't mind at all. When I tell her not to she exclaims, "But I lifted him under his arms!" Versus wrapping her arms around his NECK to pull him up. That's what she used to do on quite a frequent basis. I keep waiting for them to fall on a nasty corner and really hurt themselves.
B loves it too. Now, as soon as Scarlet gives him a hug, he just lifts up his legs- whether she wants him to or not.
Am I the only one that tries to feed my kids stuff like this? Should I not feel completely defeated when the plate still looks like this at the end of dinner?
Looking at the picture now, I realize this completely looks like hippie food. It's Greek Quinoa and Cumin Beans. This is my favorite meal! It is so amazing! WHY DON'T THEY EAT MY FOOD!!!! It is the MOST frustrating thing! I know it's not an original tale- but I am soooo frustrated by it. The constant debate is always- should I give up or keep trying? It's the worst. Why are they so turned off by veggies IN their food? They will eat them ALONE- but not mixed in things. I always think, "FINE! I'll just take it out and we'll have plain pasta every night!" But I think that's disgusting and why should I have to suffer because my kids are crappy eaters? Dinner is just threat after threat- "Eat a bite right now or it's a time out! 1, 2, 3!" FOR EVERY SINGLE BITE!!!! This is SO not an enjoyable way to eat a meal. EVERY NIGHT!!!! It is the worst. The whole philosophy that if you only feed your kids what you want them to eat, they will eventually eat it is a complete LOAD. Another former judgement gone out the window. BAH!!!! I just keep telling myself, someday this will be a former problem. But I'm sick of making two meals a night or letting them have hot dogs for dinner AGAIN. It annoys me.
I guess I'll forgive them. I remember not wanting to eat dinner when I was a kid. And you know, they ARE pretty cute. Though sometimes I want to yell, "YOU DRIVE ME INSANE!!!!"
Let's see . . . Brighton has discovered the joys of picking his nose- to the point of making it BLEED!!!! His finger is ALWAYS up there! I can't keep it out! I don't understand how it's kept on because the first 2 weeks his would pull out a nasty booger and stare at his finger and cry, not knowing what to do with it. So every time he'd do this, I'd think, "WHY are you doing this again! Keep your finger out of your nose and this won't be a daily problem!!!" Now he's figured out he can wipe it on his shirt. At least it's not going in his mouth. I can't say this for Scarlet. I've noticed he's starting to put things up his nose in general. This does not excite me. Hopefully it doesn't cause any MAJOR problems in the future.
Brighton is completely obsessed with me. There's no other way to describe it. I'm having trouble not picking him up, but I have to stop because my stomach keeps camping up and it only feels like this at the VERY END of my pregnancy, and I'm only half way through and it's already WORSE and far more persistent than it's ever been. I am in SERIOUS trouble if I don't take care of this, RIGHT NOW. I'm anxious to talk to my doctor about it, though I know what they'll say. For some reason I thought I could lift him the whole pregnancy, but it is giving me trouble.
Scarlet is saying the funniest things everyday. She really has such a THIRST for knowledge! She is constantly asking me things. Sometimes it's hard to find an appropriate way to answer. Usually the topics are simple and factual. But last night I read her a scripture story and then when I was changing Brighton's diaper she asks, "What's the Holy Ghost?" It was such a deliberate question! Like she was thinking about it and decided to ask me- which I LOVED. But that was harder answer than I thought it would be. I talked about spirits and feelings, but she's too young to understand the difference between what we are and a spirit without a body. I know she'll get it someday, but I get sad sometimes when I know I can't explain the answer show she understands. But I love that she is constantly asking me questions and I love answering them.
Every night at bedtime she asks us to tell a story about how "baby sister pooped in Daddy's shoes because she wasn't wearing a diaper!" Every night. She thinks it's so funny. She is pretty obsessed and excited for the baby. She talks about the baby all the time. Every time she gets dressed she exclaims, "When I get bigger, sister baby will wear my clothes!!!" Every prayer she'll talk for MINUTES about sister baby. How she help her when she cries, how we'll fly on a plane to Grandma and Grandpa's for her to be born, changing her diaper, feeding her bottles- ALL of these things work their way into her prayers. Almost every night! She is very aware of it all and very excited.
I don't remember if it was a movie or one of us, but she learned the expression, "I'm pooped" and of course thought it was so funny and now she uses it all the time. She also frequents, "Holy Crap!" and "That's disgustin'!" and "stupid this! stupid that!" and "that's gonna take FOREVER!!!" Such wonderful phrases she's learning from her mother. Oh I almost forgot the best one, "That's nasty!" It always makes me laugh to hear her say NASTY. It's just so funny.
Well, I think that's our update. I am still sickly and am certain we've never been well more than 3 weeks in a row- EVER since we moved here. Why we cannot escape being sick here- is a MYSTERY TO ME. But oh well, what can we do? It just seems to happen. But I've managed to make dinner the last two nights and find BITS of energy throughout the day. I'm trying to just get along, because I simply have to.
I'm getting really excited to have this baby! I feel kicks all the time now! It's fun!
I read one of Dr Fuhrman's books and really liked it. Obviously I'm a firm believer in his philosophy of nutrition and was so excited to learn about his eating plan. There were a few changes to our diet that he recommends. The most obvious changes were eating MUSHROOMS regularly. Who knew! So now I'll try to work them in every week. The other one, that is much more demanding and I need to find more recipes to make this happen- is eating beans EVERY DAY. Every day!!! 1/2 cup to a cup! Kind crazy, but hey- I'm a believer. I really do trust this guy, so after reading his book I thought, "OK, let's do it!" But then I'm sick and I feel tired and it's like, "Oh my GOSH! This isn't going to happen. I'm such a failure!" But even as I was saying this to myself, I knew I felt defeated because I felt like CRAP after a long, sickly, very sleepless week. And I assured myself, that I will just work in what I can. I am obviously going to struggle when I'm sick, and I'm ALWAYS SICK and therefor will ALWAYS be struggling, but hey- I'll keep trying. The other thing we were doing quite a lot- just not EVERY single day- is NUTS. Eat 1/4 cup every day. The straight up fact to work in a specific amount of beans and nuts EVERY SINGLE DAY is just a whole new idea to me! It changes things. I eat a lot of these things each WEEK, but every day? No! So I'm trying to keep home made lara bars around and switch up the flavors regularly so we don't get sick of them. As much as I see how far from his plan we are, sometimes- we are so much better than we were before I read his book. I was in need of a nutritional kick in the buns. Kyrgyzstan sort of deflated all my motivation for healthy living. It is so much harder to do here. So much more hassle. And the less and less I did it, the more I forgot about it and even though my MIND knew I'd be better off making more of an effort- I just didn't. Well, since our trip to France we are BACK IN THE GAME and I'm excited! I don't know if we've been eating the correct AMOUNT of produce he recommends, but it is like 10x more than it was a month ago and I feel so much better already. I wish we never stopped! I'm certain I will not MASTER his plan- atleast not here. And since we don't have health problems and we're not trying to lose weight- there are a COUPLE things I'm just not going to worry about. Like oil. I'm gonna use more oil than he recommends- but you know what it tastes good. The oil thing, for him, is more about weight control than actual HEALTH, so I don't feel SO bad about that one. Anyway, enough about this. I'm just excited to be eating better and trying new things that will hopefully benefit us- like more beans, mushrooms and nuts!
9 comments:
Will you email me the name of this book? I am very interested. I need a kick in the nutritional buns too.
The kids are so cute. I love hearing all the stories about them. Like the things Scarlet says...haha. I love it. I can just hear her sweet high voice saying nasty. hahaha.
That is hilarious that she picks up Brighton. AND about the sister baby stuff...I haven't missed anything right? You still don't know the sex right?
I just don't know how in the heck you keep up as well as you do with being sick SO MUCH! I just can't bear being sick. It's the worst. I literally eat crap and do nothing when I am sick. You are amazing.
I seriously keep saying EVERY day of my life that I need to call you, and every night withought fail at 8:30-9 I am dozing off and asleep by 9:00. I swear I am WAY more tired now than I was that first trimester. Anyway...I really will try to stay up one of these nights to talk to you!!! I miss you!
Love you so much! I'm so glad you blog.
I'm commenting as my mom because I am on her computer. I loved the picture of Scarlet with the GIANT cotton candy. It makes me want to buy Otsy some when we take her to a fair. I am just catching up on your blog. Oh and Otsy has been playing in her nose a lot too. She puts things up it and I had to use tweezers to take a piece of napkin out of it last week. We have switched to cloth everything so she won't do that again. I keep handkerchiefs and cloth napkins available if she needs to use a tissue or wipe her hands. I am paranoid that she will put a bean up there so I smell her nose a lot to try and notice changes in smell that might indicate an object up there. It's the worst. Some kids just really like their noses. Ralph knew a kid who put a lemon seed up her nose and it grew!
I forgot that you don't know the sex yet and I think it's fun. Oh and all of the characters. It must have been great for the kids to be able to see them all of the time. I want to hug Eeyore for being so sweet to Scarlet.
Oh I forgot to say about the food thing. I am not looking forward to the pickyness. Otsy loved these lentils that I made and the next day she wouldn't eat them at all. I think I have a winner and then I have to go and find something that she will eat. I love that B eats butter. I've been loading the butter onto Otsy's toast to make sure that she eats enough fat. She still nurses (which is a pain), but I m not sure how much fat she gets aside from that so I don't want her to have too little fat.
is this the super foods book? because i read most of hte super foods book and they recommended the same thing for beans and nuts and i remember thinking- WHAT THE HECK- 1/2-1 cup of beans daily?! I can easily do that in a salad, but I can't eat salads EVERYDAY for the rest of my life, I have to change it up, so on those days- hwo could I fit in those beans?! the nuts- i can get REALLY burnt out on nuts too- I could fit it in my salad, but again- i can't eat them EVERY SINGLE DAY for the rest of my life. I could multiple times a week, just not every day or i get burnt out. It realy does just go back to the bible i feel like, I mean this is what they ate! mushrooms- interesting. I love mushrooms. I saw rebecca eat them with her eggs one day and i thought- hm- interesting- it looked good. i'm so sorry you are sick, i seriously don't know how you haven't said "that's it- i'm moving back to the states" you are a warrior. I'm so glad you got to go to france and eat all thsoe yummy produce. i love you
OH- the buggars- haha. and scarlet picking up brighton is so cute!
That picture of Scarlet holding Brighton is SO adorable.He's like a little monkey, so so cute.
Cami is the same way with food. We finally decided she's not going to starve herself so she eats what's offered or not at all. Some days she eats it right up and some days she doesn't touch it.If she says she's hungry later (which doesn't happen often)she's offered the same thing again.It's pretty much ended all of the mealtime arguments with her. I also try to make sure that no matter what we're having there's always a side I know she likes(apples, carrots, cheese)that way even if she chooses not to eat it she can't claim she doesn't like any of it.
Really love those pictures of Brighton hugging Scarlet! She is a good big sister, you can just tell he loves her and she him. How fun to have a sibling!
So sorry you are sick, but hopefully it won't last as long this time, even though it sounds like you are expecting it to come around intermittently. Boo!
That is fun that Brighton likes to read too. Olivia loves it too; literally can't get enough books. I buy a lot of them at the thrift store for her.
You're not the only one to feed your babies good food. It's not wierd or hippie to me at all. I just think it's normal for us. I also think that even though they don't eat the whole thing at one sitting, that is okay. Olivia, anyway, just takes a few trys to get used to something. I think they are a lot like adults in that they want to feel out the texture and taste before they decide if they like something. Good for you for feeding them good things like that to eat.
Scarlet sounds like she is just like you! She's so cute and has some sass!
Megan the eating the food thing don't force it thats my biggest advice I dont make seprate meals for my kids just try to make sure one thing on there plate is what they like... also trying to force them seems for my kids to cause them to refuse more foods... Mathias and Annie though are at an age that when we have something new they have to try one bite before they dont eat it but theyre 8 & 6.... 2nd the best way to explain the spirit and the body is with a glove and your hand then you can talk about how the Holy Ghost doesnt have a body but gives us help in making choices... Hope that helps
I just saw your last post. I'm so incredibly happy for all of you that you got to go to Disneyland! I seriously take the phrase "happiest place on earth" very literally. It will always be one of my favorite places in the world. Oh goodness, I had so much to say as I was going through your pictures...I loved that you got to spend so much time with the characters and that the kids loved it so much! Gracie was scared of everyone except Winnie the Pooh and Mickey Mouse during our first trip, which means she would have been 3. And the princesses; a 30 minute wait is not long at all! It's normally at least an hour and then you only get to meet three. All the characters really are amazing and so in character with their character! We always ask them questions and have long conversations with them. I loooved the pictures of Scarlet watching the parade. They really are always magical. I agree with you when you say that Disneyland in itself is just really magical. It truly is. Every time it just gives you that, "everything's okay. everything's good. I can do anything" feeling. I'm so glad you got to go!
Okay, about this post; love the pictures of Scarlet holding Brighton. Truly some of the cutest pictures I have ever seen. About the food, I seriously lived on apples, bread and cereal until I was around 12. I'm not even exaggerating. I was just so picky and hardly even had an appetite. And I think my mom made more food when I didn't eat it than now. I just simply matured and found my immense appetite. Anna and I are pigs and Gracie hardly eats anything. So I guess kids are just kind of born picky, it has nothing to do with the food. Love you so much!!!
Post a Comment