This will sound a bit unusual . . . but I have fallen inlove with the Eugene Public Library. I love it! So here's my story: I've never been much of a reader. In fact, to be embarrassingly honest, I didn't read one book- even more than one page of one book- during my complete high school experience. I am not exaggerating. I don't know how I passed my English tests, but I did. Then Harry Potter happened, which I immediately whizzed thru and then The Children of the Promise (very good books!) and then I stopped reading once again. Reading for me became this: if I was in the middle of reading a book I LOVED to read! But once I stopped and just saw the book sitting there on the desk, no desire. I don't know if that makes sense but that's how it was. I would always "try" to become a reader, but it wouldn't last. Nothing captured my interest and I didn't know what to read. Here's another confession: I admit when I'd meet people who were "fantasy/science fiction readers" I would think "Oh my gosh what a loser!" (I know, that sounds TERRIBLE.) But here goes: I've become one. I LOVE fantasy! It is SO FUN!! I am absolutely hooked! So I've somehow managed to be regularly reading for almost a year now. I've finally become a "reader".
Anyways, here's the point to my post: I finished a book today and I thought to myself, "What do I do now?" I can't believe how distraught I was about this. I go to the Library and look at a FANTASY BOOK LIST. And what do I see? Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy! Yea! That will be perfect! So I'm all pumped to read this fantasy classic and rush downstairs and remember . . . the library has movies. So I take a look. And just earlier that day I was wishing Blockbuster carried 7th Heaven (yes, 7th Heaven) and guess what I ran into. YES! 7th HEAVEN!!!! So out I walk with a book and a MOVIE- ALL FOR FREE!!!! I know this happens everywhere. But I was so excited and so grateful for the library. I was on a high and smiling for atleast an hour after I left.
12 comments:
Hopefully you won't think I'm a loser... :) but I love fantasy/science fiction, and have since I was a kid. You should read the series by David Eddings called the "Belgariad", the first book is "Pawn of Prophecy". You can borrow it from Randy... he has the whole series. This is my favorite series ever.
haha megan, I love you! You are SO funny. I am totally the same way..except haven't quite gotten into the good flow you have. I think once I'm out of school it will be better. That's AWESOME though. I am glad you shared this experience. That is SO awesome your library has 7th heaven! I wish mine did...once I came home with 5 movies from the library- all free! I think heavenly father was blessing us because Clay was sick that week and we needed to just watch some movies. Anyway- I love the library too, even though I'm not the best reader. I love you and miss you! By the way- I'm considering asking Stephanie to chop my hair to short!
Megan I love your posts. The way you write makes me feel like I'm you for just a second. It's really cool! I really miss our library. They closed their doors last April due to lack of funding. We had this GREAT interlibrary loan thing goin on. You get on your home computer, browse for books you want, (lots of how to books for me), and order right from home! I'd go on Amazon and see books I wanted and then take it to the library and get it for FREE! GO LIBRARIES! love ya girl! p.s. I dedicated a post to you.
I love this post, because I can relate...though I haven't read much fantasy. Public libraries are awesome, although I don't go all that often, I'm always so impressed with the idea of borrowing great things for free...and for weeks at a time. I love it. I'm so excited for you too. I love how you're always keeping busy, way to go!
I am totally with you! I am trying to become more of a reader myself. There's a book club in our ward and that helps. But, I never used to read, and now I like it. So, you should let me know what books you like so I can have some to try out.
And, I can't wait for you to read Twilight...you'll love it!
You are so stinkin' funny! I'm the same way about libraries (any, really...), but especially because of the trashy romance novel section (at least, the one at the Spfld Pub Lib). Ahhhh what a great section. I'm working my way thru it, and I appear to be the only one (somehow...).
Yea for you!!!! That is the way I used to be, I need to fall in love with the library again. I went into the Eugene library the other day and it felt sooooo good. I miss that feeling. You may have motivated me to go back to my old self!!! love you!!!
you are a goof! I'm on board with Zach! The David Eddings series is great! We have the first three...
Glad to hear you are enjoying it all ANNND using your local library to do so. Keep libraries alive!
They just finished a brand new (HUGE) Medford library then shut it down... sad. take care dear!
I love fantasy, sci fi books you should definitly read david eddings but also try poison study by maria v snyder its the best i ve read it 5 times already....and i dont read books twice.....
heidi
Yep, I am another sci-fi / fantasy reader. (I'll also vote that you should read the Belgariad series, one of my absoulte favorites!)
And, another upset "lover of libraries" that our are all closed.
Cool post, I really enjoy reading your blog.
haha i am so obsessed with this!! seriously- good for you meg!!! The library is a beautiful thing... i'm so glad you can have such happy thoughts about it. right now, when I think about the library- all i think is... homework booooo.
and.. BONUS- the eugene library is AWESOME!!!
p.s- you're post are hilarious!!! i love them
LOVE the Eugene library. The best is to get online and request all the books you want to read. Then they send you an email telling you when they are ready for pick up. It is like Christmas year-round.
I am getting into fantasy myself. I haven't read a ton but it is a big step since I have always been a Jane Austen type of reader. Love anything written by Orson Scott Card. Hey, you need to get on my Good Reads friend list. I don't have your email- get on Emily's list and then I can get your info.
Post a Comment