Thursday, February 7, 2008

People can be so interesting . . .

I just thought this was so interesting/ funny. So my first appt. today. A woman I've cut twice before now and politics come up and I mentioned how Romney dropped out of the race. And her eyes got all big and she was so panicked and afraid that Huckabee could win it now. That's fine, I'm sure most Eugenions feel that way, but then she goes on to say with such an appalled expression, "He doesn't believe in Evolution!" My first thought was, "Well so what, he's not the only one." And then she goes on about abortion and how he's against that. And it was like one thing after another she says how awful it is that he supports all of my beliefs. It was like she couldn't believe someone could possibly feel that way. I never agreed with her, but I never put my 2 cents in. It wasn't surprising how she felt opposite my views- I can totally understand that. It was just so interesting that she found my beliefs so appalling, so unfathomable. And it just amazed me how different we all can be. Most my clients have different beliefs than I do, but this was just more over the top. That she couldn't even understand how someone could feel that way. It was interesting.

6 comments:

Ilene said...

Ah, I remember working in the U of O PoliSci offices with all of those professors who spout anti-conservative rhetoric all day long and laughing at the thought of anyone even believing in a God.

Eugene is fun.

Danielle said...

Oh your hair is SO CUTE! You are a babe. I really love it. How awesome that it curls on its own. It's funny- here it is the opposite when it comes to politics. People can't BELIEVE that people think the way liberals think. they think the world will come TO AN END, if Hillary becomes president. I obviously agree with their views, but alternatively see how and why people can think in the liberal way. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm sure that you wanted to shout at her. You are strong though. One of my fellow interns today unveiled that she liked Bill Clinton as a president and that she read his life story book and was very impressed on how hard he worked for all he had and she wouldn't mind Hillary as a president, especially if Bill was helping her out. I just stayed quiet and said an occasional, really...hmm...I love you and again, you are so cute. I miss you, I wish we could all live together in the same neighborhood.

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

It is always shocking. One of the funnest (I know that isn't a word)books we have bought in a long time is Anne Colters book, "If democrats had any brains, they'd be Republicans". She says it like it is!!! Your dad will quote things from it to me and I will just laugh. she is the most conservative person out there on the news. Anyway, not fun to be in that position. It's wierd to work in an environment where you have to be careful what you say. today at ww's I was talking conservative talk with some of the ladies, and all of the sudden I felt like I was at church and shouldn't be talking politics. I guess there is a time and place for everything!

Tara said...

I'm with Ilene. I got my fair share of liberal spew at the U of O as well. My old boss was always saying things about how ridiculous some conservative views were without even taking a second to think that I might be a little conservative. I mean she didn't even THINK that I might possibly feel that way. Annoying!

Emily said...

Whoa girlfriend...your new hair do is dang hot! I Love IT! Bobs are in, and you totally rock it!

Okay, so as for the lady in your salon...that's pretty funny. I probably wouldn't have said anything either, just to avoid awkwardness...but it's funny sometimes to hear what people think about things we might believe in. Too bad, it doesn't sound like she has an open mind at all. It's not very fun to have conversations with people like that.

Seriously, you're a babe.

Dan said...

When it comes down to it, there is lot of different people out there.
And we aren't raise the same, meaning and LDS back ground or Christ believing.
Thats what make the world go around.
Uncle D