Bad news: We still can't find a place to live. In order for me to get a visa to live in Belgium we have to have a rental contract already in place for 3 months. This has become the impossible task. We have been looking for months and now we have about a month left to apply for our visas and we are still homeless! To say the least- this has been very frustrating.
So here's a picture of my hair. I feel like it doesn't look much shorter but it is. And this picture is already a month after it's been cut, so it WAS even shorter. I really like it. I like not having it touch my face.

Greg is graduating on Saturday, very exciting. I was feeling all anxious for him to get a job but we've decided to just sell everything we own and that will be a big pain, so that will just be his job this summer. Selling everything- it's a decision we've been going back and forth on for awhile. It will just make everything easier. Kind of a wild and free feeling to know all your worldly possessions are on your back and in your bag. Greg still wants to hang on to our pots we got from our wedding, thinking when parents come to visit (once we're back in the states) they can bring one to us. I'm not sure that's going to work out as well as he plans but he's very set on it. Selling everything is harder than I thought it would be. I have more sentiment for things than I originally thought I did. Like my Harry Potter book (#7). I got up at the crack of dawn (well, in my world) and waited inline for a ticket TO WAIT IN LINE for the book at midnight! I was counting down all year for that book. I LOVE IT!!! And it's just like any other book and I've only read it once but I want to keep it! I have absolutely no problem getting rid of the others. But the last one- it will be hard to say goodbye. But really, if I start doing that pretty soon I'll have too much stuff I'm keeping and it will just collect dust in someone else's attic. Also, old piano books. There is my handwriting from 5th grade and writing from my old teacher. I don't know. There's something sweet about it. But now as I'm sitting here writing it out- I won't even realize it's not there. I certainly didn't realize it was there before and I won't take time to look at it again. I'll just keep the scrapbooks and journals.
I learned something new about my husband today- that doesn't happen very often anymore, or really ever since we've been married (which is pretty impressive considering how little we dated). He is serious when it comes to watches. I couldn't stop laughing at him- it was so cute! First of all, I don't need a watch. Who needs a watch when all the info is on your cell phone. It's just extra stuff. Well I guess Greg likes watches. Well, he's getting some graduating money so he tried on this nice watch at Costco that he's been eyeing. He couldn't decide so I told him to get it and we can always take it back. We get home and he serious stares at this watch for 2 HOURS!!!! He can't decide. He reads the ENTIRE booklet on the watch and just is SO CONCERNED about it all. We're talking over dinner and every minute he glances down at his watch and I think he's checking the time to see if we can make a movie- nope! He just can't decide about the watch. I don't know, maybe this is boring, but I thought it was hilarious and adorable. I just never knew so much thinking could ever go into a watch. It was as if we were buying our first home or a car. I'm not exaggerating!
We're very excited to move! It comes in waves. Being what it is, people are constantly asking us about it and so the topic gets a little old. But then we realize what we're doing and we get this intense high and excitement and it lasts for days! I'm just really excited. And I'm really excited to share it with everyone and document it down! I'm really excited for the job. It's kinda funny- I'll be doing exactly what I want to be doing, only it will be someone else's family and someone else's house. But I think I will still like it. I really don't mind housework. And I really like the idea of being around a baby all day- what could be better. I can hear everyone laughing at me but I still think I will like it. I'm really excited to move OUT of our apartment. Though I'm sure wherever we'll end up won't be any better, probably worse- I'm still excited. I like change. I think I need change on a semi-regular basis.
Suddenly today we have an incredibly strong internet connection! It feels so strange to be online in my own home. Completely weird. It's been well over a month. I hope it sticks- that would be so incredible! Ok, I hope everyone is well!
12 comments:
Hahaha. For the record, I am not obsessed with watches. I research just about everything that I am planning on buying because I am very particular (at least about stuff that I am going to use a lot). I just hate buying something and then being unhappy with it!
It's all good Greg, it's better to be informed on a big purchase. I understand.
Megs, I LOVE YOU! And your hair! It looks so good! I was seriously almost crying when you were talking about selling your HP 7 book! We waited in line for forever for that thing! And your old piano books...so sad!
I'm so happy for you guys though, it's so cool! I'm coming home in July for a few days, and I'm FOR SURE going to see you, so I hope you're not too busy. Even if I have to help you sell stuff or pack, I have to see you before you move!!!
Hey, the watch thing must be a guy thing.
I'm the same way. It doesn't matter what gadget I'm buying, I'll research it to death than have to play with it forever until I'm sure I'll like it.
Wow Meg! congrats about the job. It sounds perfect. And you probably will love it. it will be hard, but your love it at the same time. Hopefully it's a good baby.
I can't imagine selling everything I own. part of me would love it....it'd be so freeing, but I totally get things like the harry potter book. that'd be hard for me.
good luck with the watch greg. you know you could always wait until fast sunday...make a solid decision then. = )
just teasing you. I am the EXACT same way and I drive myself and Shad nuts.
haha- Lizzie's comment makes me laugh. Anyway- that's hilarious about Greg- Clay does the same thing, but like Greg said, with EVERYTHING! Man, that is rough trying to decide what to get rid of. Your hair is way cute too! Clay wont even let me THINK of cutting it anywhere NEAR that short. Well, I love you!!!!! Your blog was wonderful:)
Congrats on the job Megan! That is such a relief I bet. I am so excited for you guys and to read all about it in a few months.
I know I just got my hair done a few weeks ago but I am just starting to see roots. I miss ya already! :)
Congratulations on your job and Gregs graduation!!!!! I love your hair it looks GREAT!! You have always looked so good with short hair! I am coming home on June 22 and staying for two weeks. I would love love love to see you! I really want you to meet my little girl. And I really want to see you before you go.
Hey Megan...
Wow, looks like a lot is about to change in your world!
If I were you, I'd make a box of your most sentimental things and hang on to them.
As for the HP book and your piano books, I'd hang on to those... but this advice is coming from someone who, along with his spouse, owns several hundred books (most of which are now prominently displayed in our living room). When we moved to our new house, we just kept finding more and more.
In fact, last year when The Deathly Hallows came out, we got it at Wal-Mart at midnight on Friday, July 20... and then went to her parent's house, sat on adjoining couches and read through the night. Emily finished about 3 p.m. on Saturday, and I finished about an hour later (she always reads faster than I do!). Her sister asked if we were going to get one copy to share and we both said, "WHAT!?!?" Perish the thought!! Like either one of us could wait to read the book.
Besides, this was exactly ONE week before our wedding, so we needed the distraction amidst all the craziness.
Ahh... good times.
Oh, and as far as Greg researching the watch... all guys do that. I do it for pretty much everything: DVDs, books, electronics, services, etc. I need to know I'm getting the very, very best value for my time and money. Right now, I'm looking for a new DVD wall unit for our vast film collection... and it's proving quite taxing comparing different wood grains, capacities, heights, configurations. But, that's part of the fun.
Anyhow... I hope all is well and that things go great for you in Europe!
Megan, if you want to keep your beloved Harry Potter book I'm sure that your mother and I can find a space on our bookshelf for you to store it. I'm sure the rent will be very reasonable.
Congrats on the job you will make a great Nanny. Have a blast while you are there and take tons of pics, this is a once and a life time opportunity, live it up girl!
By the way, cute hair. You always look good with short hair. I wish I could pull that off.
That was wistful, nostalgic and almost sad. I really think it's a mistake to sell all your things. It will be hard to replace them, some things you will never replace and it's not that long for us to store them. In particular your kitchen stuff and your sewing machine. And you had so few memoirs of your childhood, I don't know that you need to get rid of them. I know I am a slight pack rat compared to you, but that aside, certain things are just hard to replace and we'll say oh I can't afford that right now. I'm excited to see you tomorrow!love you!
I think I have to agree with your mom on selling your stuff. I agree that it would be very freeing to get rid of so much, but at the same time I know there are several things I would want to keep but wouldn't need to bring with me - hypothetically speaking, if I were to suddenly pack up and move to Europe! I'd be looking for space at a family member's house or renting a small storage unit (even though I'm anti storage units!) for a year. Kitchen stuff and anything sentimental would get top billing - I could part with most everything else... I think!!
I STILL cannot believe you are moving to Europe. So exciting but so scary! Good luck with the rental agreement and getting your visa.
And... your hair looks great!! I'm getting mine cut again this Tuesday and I can't wait!
Post a Comment