Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July!

I always work the 4th of July and always regret it because I'm the only one working. Every year I think, "Why should I sit around when I can make money? All the celebrating is at night, anyway!" But then I arrive at work, and I'm usually completely booked and then I think, "Why am I working when no one else is?" So this year I took it off and man, it was a stressful day. Greg was searching again for apartments for 4 hours and then I was on for 2-3 putting everything we own on Craigslist. Sigh. No fun. But then we drove to Creswell for Grandma and Grandpa's BBQ with cousins! Abe, Nicole and Casey, Crystal and Jess, and Amy and Mike were there! I haven't been around everyone together since Nicole's wedding! It was perfect weather. We all ate outside.

Then back to Eugene for FIREWORKS!!!! Right now the Olympic trials are going on in Eugene, but we hadn't gone to see any of the excitement yet! So we park and walk and before I know it there are these never ending crowds and I feel like I'm in a completely different city! It was fun! Whenever I heard music I'd start to dance, mid-walk. We get this perfect spot of grass right by the fireworks. Here we are so excited!
And Amy and Mike . . .

The loud booms start and bright colors appear and we decide to lay down. I felt like I was going to get killed by an exploding firework! It felt like they were 20 feet away! I swear they got louder this year. And within moments we notice . . . stuff . . . falling on us from the sky. Debris . . . and more debris . . . until BAM!!! Right in the eye!!! I sit up and for minutes my eye does NOT stop watering. At first it just feels like something's in there and then . . . burning. So finally I get Greg to look at it and he wipes this huge black chunk out and before I know it- all better! It was kind of sad though because after that I kept wanting to look up but my reflexes kept stopping me. I was too afraid that it would happen again! But 5 minutes passed and then my fear melted away and I got to see the rest. Amy thought it was disappointing and "wimpy" and I thought they were the best I'd ever seen!

8 comments:

Emily said...

You deserve to have the day off too, so I'm glad you did it! I bet that was fun to be around all of those people and all the excitement. Sounds super cool to me! Sorry about your eye though, that's crazy. When I was little I was terrified of fireworks because I was afraid they would fall on me. Turns out my concerns were valid!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Megan, Sorry about the eye. So sad. But I am grateful it is okay. Take good care of yourself. I enjoyed having you all here it was like old times. Much love grandma

Danielle said...

That sucks about the eye- when we watched the fireworks, something nailed me in the arm, I thought someone slapped me or something, it hurt WAY bad, but then I realized it was a little tube thing that the firework was in! It fell from the sky and hit me in the arm. Sheesh. Anyway- I'm glad you took off work. The BBQ sounds way fun at Grandma and Grandpas. You guys are so lucky you get to hang out all the time. I love you!!!!

fiona said...

Wow, right in the eye! What luck, haha! I'm glad you're okay, though, and that you had fun on your day off...after all the stressful stuff, of course. That just made you appreciate it more, obviously :)

Jill said...

Ok, the debris part of this post is making my eyes water really bad, I shouldn't have read that part!!! :) Glad you had fun though!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

ha- great picture of me and mike- yowsa! love you-

Jenni said...

I've just gotta tell you that i LOVE LOVE LOVE YOUR HAIR!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

WHat a fun day!! I feel like we were cheated in a way, the 4th came and went and we didn't experience it. We were on the road and then in the motel after a long day of driving.