Monday, November 17, 2008

What Happens When Megan Plays Volleyball

Alright. Our ward had a volleyball night. I had no intention of going but Greg and I had a conversation like this:
G- You should go.
M- I don't want to play volleyball.
G- There will be other people there.
M- Yeah, they'll all be playing volleyball.
G- No they won't, there's gonna be chili, I think people are just gonna hang out.

Well, he convinced me. It had a huge turn out, we were really surprised. So turns out that EVERYONE came to play. The only women NOT playing were in the kitchen cleaning, where I eventually ended up. So I'm watching on the sidelines and about every 2 minutes somebody says, "You're not playing? Why don't you come in?" Eventually, after 15 people ask me this I'm starting to feel self conscious. Throughout the game I see a lot of people that are not playing well and I think, "Well, maybe I'll go in. I'm ATLEAST as good as they are. No one seems to care when people mess up." But I don't go in. I don't know why, I just never play sports. When I was young it was all about fear, but year after year it sort of just became habit to say "no thanks". After an hour or so Greg tells me to get in. So I go for it. Now they were playing this game "scramble" I've never before heard of. People are going in and out from court to sidelines very quickly. So I jump in the line and within 30 seconds I'm up. So I run out and suddenly have this, "What the heck am I doing out here?!!!" kind of feeling. I know it wasn't as dramatic as war but I felt in the middle of chaos like something would shoot at me any moment and I just felt out of control!!! Well within 20 seconds the ball comes my way and I freeze and it just lands behind me. I do actually throw my hands up but miss it by atleast 5 feet. So that meant we were out. So I run to the sidelines and remember, "Oh this is why I never play sports." I always freeze. I just do. So I think, "Well, I tried and I really don't think it's going to get any better than that." So I sit back down. A few minutes go by and I feel my eyelid suddenly stinging! A LOT!!! I'm thinking to myself, "What is going on? Where did this come from?!" I'm thinking . . . then I realize, "I must have punched myself out there! What else could it be?" I didn't remember hitting myself, but something was definitely going on with my eye. So when Greg gets out I jump down and say, "Look at my eye, is it red?" And he tells me my make up is smeared and I have a scratch. I knew it! I'm blown away by my ability to hurt myself. I'm always running into things, and I've even poked myself in the eye with the broom while sweeping (yes it's true) but this was a first to hurt myself purely with my own body. Eventually I go to the bathroom and after I wash my hands I check out my eye and this is what I discover.

MISSING EYELASHES!!!!

What the heck! Somehow on that court I swung my hands up and rubbed them against my eye so hard that I had removed a chunk of my eyelashes! Unbelievable. An all new level of clumsiness. I start laughing right there in the bathroom and run out to show Greg and continue on to others in the ward. It made me feel good that I knew it was gonna look bad, but didn't seem to care when 6 years ago this would have been the end of my life. Ah, how things change. I don't know how I injure myself so much. No one else seems to have these problems. In the pic you can see the bruise above my eye.

This is what I have been waiting for ever since I left the U.S. It was so wonderful I took a picture.

One of the girls in Greg's church class gave this to him. It's her giving a flower to him. How sweet is that!!!!

Life is going good. We got to know people in the ward a lot better at the activity and got invited to watch a BYU football game online afterwards. We didn't care about the game, but went to hang out with people. It was a lot of fun. A lot of the group were singles. Single people have so much more energy. Somehow, we ended up all sitting at a little kid table drawing with coloring pencils 'till 1 am. Something that wouldn't have been unusual 4 years ago, but that randomness just doesn't happen nowadays. It was like a flashback to the single days. It's sad though because basically everyone is leaving in 4 weeks because they're all interns. But we're making friends with people that will be here a long time, too.

That's about it. I think I'm going to cut someone's hair for the first time tonight! We got invited to an FHE with all the interns and one of them wants me to cut their hair. But I don't have a cape or squirt bottle or even a decent comb. It feels all awkward. Oh well, we'll see how it goes. SO MANY people have told me they have such trouble communicating what they want for their hair becasuse no one speaks english.

Toodooloo!

11 comments:

Emily said...

Oh Megs...I am dying laughing right now. I think you're such a good sport to go and play and try to meet people. I just have no idea how yo managed to lose so many eyelashes playing volleyball. Sprained ankles I've heard of...but eyelashes?

I'm so glad you guys are meeting friends too, that's so nice. And I love the picture of your mexican food....I don't know what I would do without it, so I understand how happy you are to have it.

You are so funny!

Danielle said...

Wow- I loved this story! Eyelashes! ah! So funny. I can just imagine the whole thing- you reaching for the ball, being so focused on being scared and doing it right that you don't even notice you hit yourself in the head and scraped off some lashes while you were at it! hahhaa. I love you. At least you were a good sport about it. That mexican food looks GOOD! Also- I love that picture that girl gave Greg. I love how she said "I love you brother greg":) I bet it's harder for them to say your last name than his first name. Well, great update- I loved it! I'm glad things are going well for you.

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Great blog! That is too funny about your eye. I think we are just doomed to clumsiness. It takes time for those eyelashes to grow. I accidentally pulled some out one day and it was so frustrating waiting for them to grow back! That is so sweet about Gregs picture. I am sure they all love him so much. I was afraid youw were going to say you hurt your fingers in the game. Peer pressure!!1 It never ends. I am so happy you get to have Mexican food for now. You'll have to have Gregs family bring you some more at Christmas! That will give them room when they leave to bring home fun things they buy! love you!!!

Danielle said...

MEGAN- YOU JUST CALLED ME- I saw the number and it said 000123456 or soemthing and so I thought it was a telemarketer or something- if you get this soon you can call me again! I'm sorry I didnt' pick up! I will next time- LOVE YOU!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

What a funny blog, I loved it and it reminds me so much of your mom. Not the sports bit, she was alwas athletic but the part of you being hurt and didn't even know when it happened. Believe me vollyball is a rough sport!! I played for a few years and I got hurt more in that than tennis and baseball. I don't know if I am clumsy, but your grandpa is he is forever hitting his head or stepping off something and almost falling. Part of it is because he is always in a hurry and never watches where he is going. Tell Greg to enjoy being a teacher as a year will pass quickly. Do you want me to send you a spray bottle and a comb?? I could get Cindy to get one from the beauty supply. I lose my eyelashes and they do take a long time to grow back. Much love grandma

fiona said...

Hahaha! That is CRAZY about your eyelashes! And even crazier that you were in the game for less than a minute and managed to do that! I'm glad y'all have friends there, and the picture for Greg is so cute. I bet his little girls all have crushes on him...

Make sure y'all go to some Christmas markets over there!

Dan said...

Ben was alway falling down and getting hurt when he was kid.
And I seem to get myself in to thing real easy.
And if anyones going to get hurt, or some thing I'm the first to fall into it.
It keep thing interesting.:)
Uncle D

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Megan this blog made me laugh so much, I said out loud "oh megan, what did you get yourself into!" That story is so hilarious. I can't believe you managed to do all of that in a matter of seconds. that is so funny. I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt. Well, I'm glad you are getting ot know people and being invited. I'm glad you went to the volleyball deal though- because teh more people see you the more people you'll get to know. I'm glad you have your mexican food! That is such a main food in our house, I coudln't imagine life wihtout it! I love hte picture that the girl made for Greg, so cute!!!! Well, we miss you alot. Mike read your blog and he NEVER reads ANYONE's blog. I was shocked when he said, "did you read megan's blog about teh volleyball?" it shows how much he loves you. Well, you really would love our singing game it is so hilarious. Shannon called me. I can't hang out wiht her right now though because it's the end of the term and I'm pack full of homework. anyway- i love you- twilight comes out in a day!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

oh yeah- and that's awesome that you're going to do someone's hair!

Lizzie said...

Wow. I am so sorry, but when I saw the picture of your eyelash chunk missing, I busted out laughing. Not becuase I'm laughing at you, but with you, because I'm the same way. All of us girls are. WHAT IS WRONG WITH US? Craziness. I am so sorry about your eye. I would've loved to see a video of you trying to hit a volleyball, but missing and hitting your eye instead. I wish I were more comfortable playing sports. I always say "no thanks" too, and my one big regret in life is that I didn't pursue sports.

I am glad you can finally have your Mexican food. And that they didn't confiscate your beans. = )

I know there was more I wanted to comment on but I can't remember now. Oh well.

I'm glad you had so much fun with the kids. The kids LOVED you. It was so good to have you and we miss you.

zachariah said...

Those nacho's look sooo good!! We have one stinkin Mexican restaurant in all of Montevideo and it's food is TERRIBLE. Enjoy!