Friday, January 16, 2009

Heidelberg

Heidelberg was cool. Basically just a big castle ruin. This shot is why Heidelberg is famous. Do you see how thick these walls are? This part of the castle was filled with explosives and it blew up! It might've been an accident, I don't remember. But it blew the wall out!




This was neat: a sun dial!
It's a little dark, but this was a peek in one of the rooms. It was nice, but I expected a little more! I always seem to be a little disappointed with these GRAND palaces and then little rooms with little furniture. I always forget it was the olden days and it was pretty grand for back then.
The whole castle was kind of reddish, so that was neat. I think it was this castle that I realized I just like ruins! I like to think about who lived there and what they did there. I just think it's all amazing!

So this is the biggest keg in the entire world. It holds something like 5000 gallons or liters- I don't know. Just some insane amount. I remember thinking, "There is NO WAY this holds this much beer!" But apparently it does. I guess people would put wine, and just whatever they had so it tasted terrible! It was so big and dark we couldn't get a good picture! But here are parts of it . . .

Off this ledge you had an incredible view. We stayed for quite awhile.


It was neat to see the city like this. It was beautiful!
Women would stuff the white fuzzy parts of the tree in their hair to make it all big!

Down in the moat . . .



We're on a bridge looking out and there were the sweetest HUGE houses down below! I couldn't imagine living there.

I don't feel like this picture does it justice. Construction always ruins the view.

Doesn't it look like some scary Insane Asylum?

2 comments:

fiona said...

That's really funny that ladies would stuff their hair with the fluff from that tree! Heidelberg is so pretty. You got some really nice pictures, and that keg is INSANE. No doubt the mixture was gross. Which is weird, b/c if I remember correctly, it was how they paid taxes of some sort, with booze, but what good is it to anyone if it's too disgusting to drink? maybe it was an acquired taste.

zachariah said...

I love Heidelberg! It was my first real European castle city experience, and there is just something big about the first experience.