Sunday, January 11, 2009

Rothenburg- Day 2

Ah, Day 2 for beautiful Rothenburg. This is Steve and Irmgard.
First stop: The Criminal Museum. Basically all the torture stuff. Greg was really excited for this. I was not. But it was pretty fascinating. This shot just brought me to the movies. Hauling you away FOREVER!!!
The stalks.

If you were a baker and your bread wasn't the right weight, you got put in one of these cages and dunked into the river!!!! (One dunk for every half ounce that it was off!)

Ah, the chastity belt. Did anybody else know these things actually existed? Because I didn't.
Apparently, men would strap these on their wives before they left town. But look, they made sure we had a hole to poo and pee out of. Feelin' the love, guys, feeling the love. Ew, can you imagine? What a mess!!! What if they left town for months? Yeah, and were there chastity belts for men? I don't think so!!!
This is a mask that a gossip would have to wear while chained to the pillory. Making people stand at the pillory with different humiliating masks, etc. was a common form of Medieval punishment. The big ears represent hearing everything and the tongue saying everything. There were all kinds of crazy masks people had to wear! This one covers up the face, but most of them you could see who was wearing it.

You had to wear this if you were a bad musician. The loop at the top locks around your neck and your fingers are locked into the position where you would normally play the notes. C'mon people! That's just mean!
The executioner's swords. Off with their heads!!!!
This one's for my mother: The Fashion Police. If a seamstress sewed something "too fashionable" for someone of a given class, she would have to wear this (a big wooden collar that locks around the neck). Those caught wearing clothes that were too fashionable for their class could have the clothes stripped off!! In public! So... the Fashion Police DO really exist!!... or did at least.
This one's CRAZY!!! It's a witch catcher. Because you can't actually TOUCH a witch, or that would be bad right? So they made these to catch them around their necks! OUCH!!!! It is hard to tell in the picture, but the pole is like 6-8 ft long and the thing on the end is designed to push onto the "witch's" neck, but not come off.
You'd have to wear this in front of the church building while people went inside if you were caught sleeping during the service! Ha!!!

Delinquents were locked in here (hands above feet) and people would come and tickle you as added punishment. They would also salt your feet and bring goats to come lick you (real tickle torture!)! There is a box behind Greg you can sort of see. The top is really crazy looking. Well it has 14 different locking mechanisms to keep your gold safe. CRAZY!!!
This one's just hilarious. A couple,who is fighting, gets there heads and hands locked in here and isn't released until they solve their quarrel! This was for married couples or women (not ever for men!)
Isn't Rothenburg beautiful!!!



Ok this is hilarious. The night watchman told us that this door dates back to the 1300s and it's hinges are from the 1100s (I think), which means it's the new door. How hilarious is that? Also, we learned about the "man hole". Once the sun fell down everybody had to be in the city walls. If they just opened the gate, anybody could rush in and destroy the city. So they created a door, within the door- just big enough for a man.
We thought these stairs were neat.

You can barely see in the picture- but there would be these grand landscapes and if you look down in the valley there would be this small village of 10 houses together, all by themselves. So beautiful. Little spots like this popped up all over Germany.
Randy.


You'll notice for dinner there was a familiar theme . . .
Well, I guess, Randy strayed from it a little.



After having sausage every singe day, I decided to go with something different.
But then all the sausages ended up being amazing! So I nibbled off of everyone's plate, then ended up trading my pasta for Greg's sausage after all. Well, the parents were all tuckered out and ready to go but Greg, Chris and I still wanted to walk the wall. So we made a mad dash for it while everyone else waited in the car.


There were just these long corridors of wood and it would creak under your feet!
There'd be these openings along the wall and we'd get these great little views of the city.


Looking out the window . . .

I really liked this picture. Just a random part of the wall, but it looks all princess-y. I love it.
We walked and walked and everything just looked cool.
I liked this picture because you always take a picture and then it looks so small on film. But this shows how little the boys are compared to it.
As soon as there was a door- the boys just ran in. And what was inside was never lit up. The light you see is strictly from my camera. I'd always be afraid we wouldn't find a way out and would get lost inside, but eventually we'd see a light. This is where I started to get mad. Greg would just dash in and out- where if I can't see, I move my feet inch by inch until I eventually make it through and Greg would just leave me in total and utter darkness to fend for myself in some hundreds of years old rickety, unsure-footed building WITH STAIRS. Greg knows he's not supposed to do this, but he did it anyway. Though I WAS upset- I just kept thinking, "Wow, this really isn't like him (to leave me), he must really be excited."
This was outside the wall. I don't know why, I always thought being "outside" the wall was really cool. It would show you what you'd have to overcome during a war. Climbing up it, shooting arrows, etc.

This bridge just made me think of Robin Hood.
I loved this whole walk. The boys were literally RUNNING all around, because they were so excited. I had to keep telling them to slow down. It just felt like you were in another world. Nothing in your vision to kept you in reality.



Once we were finished, it was just another high. The parents really missed out. And to think we almost didn't make this last run. Greg said it was the best part of the whole experience of Rothenburg.

14 comments:

Sari said...

I have to say that Rothenburg was one of our favorite stops when we visited Zac!! Though we stayed at the Hostel there and I almost had to duck to get in the doors not to mention they werent even square!! It looks like you had a blast.

Danielle said...

Wow, I just read all the posts and they all look like so much fun! I love your comments to go with each picture. That all looks wonderful. I'm so glad that Greg's family could come and stay for a while. I bet that was nice. I've been checking everyday for a new post from you- I'm so happy to see what you've been up to. I love you so much!

Jill said...

Oh my I love both of these posts! I would love to visit all of those old historical places--I'm so jealous! Love the pictures!

Rochelle said...

Great Post! You're good at narrating and the pics are fabulous. I loved the wall episode. I'm really surprised randy didn't go. He must be getting old! LOL!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

that was sooo cool. I loved every bit of it. I want to go back to Europe so bad. It is like you said, so unreal. It's like be in a fairy land one minute and the next your in a big modern city. I think Greg was acting like he was because his brother was there and his mom and dad, we tend to revert to being more like we were when we were at home! :-)that chastity belt is something else! I thought some of the things were pretty funny, others grose. Thanks for the fashion police!! I'm glad I didn't live at that time!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

oh the little city thing is sooo cool!! Just like the old movies or movies that took place at that time. I love it!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

What a neat place to visit. I can't believe the chasity belt. How awful, they should have had the men wear something. what a nasty thing to wear!! Fashion police am I glad I never had to live then. I loved all of the shops and all. What a funny tolit. and it doesn't look very comfortable to sit on???? Or did they just squat over it. I love you thanks for posting all of the pics and the comments.

heidi and Doug said...

yeah i agree with ssari Rothenburg was the best! ohh seeing it again makes me want to go back !!! LOL
love u guys

fiona said...

ah, the memories! I, too, love Rothenburg! how could you not?? We even went on the tour w/that same night watchman! how cool. Some of those punishments from way back when actually seem like pretty good ideas. At least the one where they make arguing couples be chained together until they make up, haha! Looks like y'all had FUN!

Emily said...

Well I'm retarded. I had my dates wrong. Happy Birthday TOMORROW!!

That tortures stuff looks awesome! I would have loved to see that cool stuff.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

oh my gosh! I loved this post! So cool! The pictures were beautiful. Ok- the chastity belts- yes I knew they actually existed, it's funny because I've heard of all these things and learned a LITTLE bit about them, because in English, you're basically reading history- atleast- Old English- So everything you post is really exciting. That is crazy the torture things they did, do you think they actually did the gossip one, etc? or just for kicks and giggles? It sounds so extreme. What time period? I didn't know that Chris went! That's awesome! I think it would be really fun to go on a trip together. i loved all the pics and stories- you look really pretty in the ones of you close up. I love the castle ones- I lov eoyu and miss you!!!!!!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

oh yeah- and the carraige that took you away- I just thought of count of monte cristo.

Emily said...

Megs, I don't even have your email address! mine is jolleyrogers1@gmail.com, so email me and then I can have yours. I didn't know you had unlimited calling, I would love to chat!

Lizzie said...

Wow, I just caught up on your blog. I haven't ever cared to go to Germany, now I want to go so bad. That looked soooo cool, especially at Christmas time! Wow, I loved the funny torture stuff, especially the fashion police because of Mom!!! The hot punch you drank reminded me of the fun drinks in Harry Potter, like butterbeer. That town looked like a movie, but better. It's so cool you get to do all of this. I love you and Happy happy birthday Meg! I would've called but my video cam still isn't working. I need a new one. Love you!!!