Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Brugges

Then it was on to Brugge. Greg and I just loooooove Brugge. It's just a really charming town. I want to say a charming village, but I feel like it has to be Cinderella time with horses and peasants to be a village. Well, anyway. I didn't sleep well the night before and woke up feeling kinda sick. I tried to sleep the whole ride on the train. This is a pic on the train.
We walked from the train station to the city, but right before you get there, there is this pretty little area. So we had lunch.
It was really neat. Greg and I always go directly to the center of town, but I got a little curious and Mom and I just started walking on the outskirts. It was so beautiful! We saw so much I'd never seen! I didn't realize how big Brugge really is and kept getting excited to show Greg all the little areas we found.


This is Beginhof (where the Nuns live, though I've yet to actually see one here). Greg and I went in the winter and it looked completely different in the Spring! It was soooo beautiful!



Then we kept walking around.
Then it was to the Chocolate Line, Greg and I's absolute favorite part of Brugge. These are the kinds of flavors you can buy at the Chocolate Line: tomato, olive oil, chile, cuban cigar, wasabi, tabasco, saffron curry, lemon grass, lavender, basil, black olive, fried onion, ginger, cola, and passion fruit. We just asked for a mix and all of these ended up in our box. We haven't tried them all yet. Don't worry, there are really good "normal" flavors too, but the weirdness is a fun adventure! We love it! 

This is in the main square.
On our way to the windmills . . .


How cute is Mom! She was skipping.

I didn't even know windmills were out here! We had to walk to the outside of town. They were cool, but I was feeling really sick at this point.
After this was what I refer to as the Hour of Hell- meaning, Mom and I endlessly walking forever and ever trying to find our way back and making no progress . . . no, none at all . . . not even a tiny bit. There were no smiles, only aches and pains. Anyone who's traveled thru Europe knows what I'm talking about. I think no matter what city you're in, you're just gonna get lost one of the days. It's impossible not too. The roads in Europe are small, twist here, then there, they're not very long, there's a MILLION of them and it's just hard. Eventually we DID make it back and then we laughed and ate chocolates on the train. Mom absolutely LOVED Brugge. I was really happy. It's really small so I was afraid, after all she's seen, it wouldn't be exciting to her- but she kept freaking out throughout the day about how much she loved it! So it was good. We had a good day.

9 comments:

LCM said...

How exciting to have your mom share your adventure. You both look so beautiful.

Danielle said...

You both look so pretty in all those pictures! And so happy! Too bad you were so sick. I love you!

Amy said...

You and your mom are so beautiful!! You both look so great in all of the pictures! Brugge looks so pretty. I don't think I have ever even heard of it. How fun!

Rochelle said...

Brugge looks like the place I'd like the best. I got lost in Mexico once with my friend. We spent 1/2 day trying to find our way back to our casa. We saw a lot of fun things along the way...i.e. parade, open air mkt. I like the giant windmill. The chocolate is divine! Pat has shared some of that.Great pics of everything. Thanks for sharing!

Our Pratt Pack said...

Man you guys really know how to travel!! Holy cow! I'm so jealous and I've always wanted to go to Italy. I love the pic of your Mom right before the windmill one , I bet she just had a blast!

Steve/Dad/Grandpa said...

Megan, thank you for posting all those pictures about the trip. It looks like you all had a great time. As usual, you look beautiful in all of the pictures ............ and your mother too! I was glad to see Greg wearing a U of O shirt in Europe. Kinda like he is our representative.

Jill said...

First, I LOOOOVE that picture of your mom skipping, it just made me laugh and laugh! She is so funny! And thank you so much for the comment, you don't know how much a compliment like that means to a girl who feels like a fat frumpy house mom these days! Especially when I stalk your blog all the time and get jealous over how beautiful and skinny you are! Not to mention all the cool adventures you get to have!!! You look so much like your mom, it's amazing! What a pretty family you guys are!

Lizzie said...

So many pictures. I can't believe how long it must've taken you to blog all of this. Seriously. It must've taken forever!

You and Mom really do look so beautiful. And you look like you've gotten younger over there. Maybe the exercise? You look great.

The trip looks fun. I love all of the little cute buildings/houses/stores. They look so interesting. Straight off the movies. I'm excited to taste all of the interesting chocolates that you and Mom got. Love you!

fiona said...

Your mom is so cute! Brugges is beautiful, I actually got a pang of really wanting to go there from looking at your pictures. We used to love going there on the train, too, relatively close and all, but I don't think we spent time on the outskirts! Look at what we missed! And we totally didn't discover Chocolate Line, those flavors sound really interesting. I bet some of the weird ones were really good, seems like that happens sometimes.