I have a question for mothers. Ok, feeding kids. I HATE IT! This is why. Oisin will not open his mouth for ANYTHING unless he has a toy. I'll try and try and NOTHING and then the moment he sees a toy coming he opens his mouth. After awhile, he throws it on the ground and suddenly- closed mouth again until a new toy comes along. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!! Months ago when this began I asked his Mom about it and she said it's normal. Is it? That is my question. Because I hate it and DON'T want this to ever happen with my kid, but maybe I'm just dreaming. I think we've just LET him become this way. But I don't have kids, I don't know what's normal. I just know I hate it. By the way he is 1, if that affects the answer. Otherwise work is going great. Child care is such a phasey thing. One day everything sucks and then a few weeks later you finally figure out how to deal with it or change the routine and then a few weeks later he grows or can climb things and you have to change everything again! Grr!!! But, I think everything's gonna be fine from here on out. His major changes are suddenly halting, and he's only getting more cooridnated and stable which means I have to worry about him less and less. So that's good.
I'm sick. I hate being sick. It's just a worthless state of being.
Oh here's something you don't hear everyday. I get up pretty early in the morning so when I'm brushing my teeth, I like to sit on the toilet because I'm so tired. Well today . . . regular routine. I'm sitting there on the seat cover and I hear this sort of . . . crack. I think, "Is the toilet seat cracking??? Nah . . ." Sometime between that and 2 minutes later- CRACK! CRACK! CRACK! CRACK!!!! And I come tumbling down. Thank goodness I'm not on the floor and am just sitting on the REAL seat now. Greg shouts, "Are you ok?!" I was a little in shock, I've never broken a seat of any kind before. Pieces were everywhere!!! It sort of shattered. Well, I guess my lazy brushing days are over and I'll have to stand like the rest of the world now.
12 comments:
Oh my goodness, I hope that's not Easton when he is a sunbeam!! LOL!
Eating has been one of my greatest struggles with Easton, and I have always hated it! I don't know about your particular situation, but it sounds frustrating. I probably just wouldn't feed him...is that too mean? Maybe when he gets hungry enough he'll open his mouth? I don't know, like I said, Easton is a sucky eater, so you probably don't want to take my advice!
I'm really glad you didn't fall into the toilet.
My kids have always been pretty good eaters untill mathias turned 2 now hes a little picky monster. Annie on the other hand can be picky it just depends on her mood. Mostly I find she just wants to be big and feed herself otherwise she probably wont eat. That might even be what Oisins problem is. I find that at one that want to try themselves so maybe give him a spoon while your feeding so he gets used to holding it and try a little himself. I know most are going to say its to messy to do but I find it makes them very happy. GOOD LUCK
I have to agree with both Em and Sari. Ethan stopped wanting to be fed at about a year, so we switched up what he ate. LOTS more finger foods for him to feed himself. Breakfast switched from rice cereal with mashed bananas that we fed him to dry cereal (Cheerios, Kix, etc.) and "banana sticks" (bananas cut into thirds crosswise and then quartered length-wise)... you get the idea. But we have also used the trick Em talked about - if he is being a stinker at meal time and won't eat then he just doesn't get to eat. We did this just last night with Ethan's dinner. He ate just the pineapple off his plate and wouldn't touch anything else (all normal favorite foods for him, mind you) so he didn't eat anything else that night. We let him know if he was hungry, we would heat up his dinner for him, but that was it. At one point he even tried requesting mac-n-cheese to which he got a big, fat "No!" When he was younger, we also used to try and feed him as much as we could ourselves of baby food and then give him the spoon and let him do the rest.
Sorry, that was a kinda long response, but I hope it helps. Maybe it's just time to change what he eats or how it's presented.
Also, the "my pee pee hurts" story. Oh my gosh, so funny! But I sure hope that Ethan never does anything like that... I have been warned now.
Finally, I don't know if I've ever sat on the toilet to brush my teeth... and I'm glad you didn't fall in!
That was very entertaining!!! I hope that little boy doesn't have a problem! Little kids! They are all different, but a lot of things have to do with what the parents put up with. I think it is a little weird that he needs a toy. I think today parents spoil their kids more than when I was raising you guys. I also think kids at that age are hard to feed. They change from one day to the next what they want to eat. By that age I was still feeding you guys but also trying to give you food you could pick up and eat by yourselves. Also I wonder if I was letting you eat with a spoon and letting you get what you could. It's been a while!! That is crazy about your toilet. One of these days we will have to skype again. Love you!!! I'm about half way through the book, I will be done by Sunday though.
Tell the Landlord you need a new toilet seat. That is a typical thing that happens sometimes, although I have never heard of one breaking because you sat on it. Mostly because somone stood on it or kids jumped on it. I am glad you didn't hurt yourself. The Sunbeam story is real and I have heard it before, you never know what 3-4 year olds will do. Ha! PRETTY FUNNY The eating thing I think kids aren't much different than adults, sometimes they are hungry, and sometimes not. The toy thing is just something I think his parents used, isn't normal for me, I don't remember a child of mine or a grandchild that needed a toy so they would eat. sI love you and can't wait to see you grams
The thing with Oisin? Not normal, though I guess it is for HIM! Just sounds stubborn. I don't know how old he is, but he sounds about the same as Ayden. I only feed Ayden stuff that he can't feed himself from a spoon yet (yogurt, oatmeal, that kind of thing) and I let him hold his own spoon. Otherwise, he feeds himself.
And I'm sorry, but picturing YOUR skinny butt breaking a toilet seat cracked me up!
Oh, and by the way, Byron is always grabbing his man junk and telling me "My pee pee hurts!" or just repeatedly grabbing it for no apparent reason at all. Maybe it's a boy thing--Ayden's hands always dart down to his business when I'm changing his diaper, too! Why are boys so strange and gross?! :)
I agree with Em, BUT every kid is different. Every parent told me "let tanner cry it out and then he'll go to sleep" Ya right. Not true with him. In other words, maybe Oisen has a special need to see a toy so he can eat (I highly doubt it, but maybe). But you definitely DON'T need to worry about your own kid. I've never even heard of that before.
The sunbeam story...hilarious. I can't believe he just whipped it out for all to see!!! Once that happened when I taught 2nd grade...he didn't whip it out, but he kept saying, "it's tingling". Yeah, you can imagine what that was about.
Love you!
That is so funny about teh toilet seat! Sun beams- oh my gosh- if it happens again, you should tell his mom. I love primary, you just see and hear the funniest things. work- I"m glad that you will soon be done, and then can start on your own kids. I think you will be a good mother because you will lay down the law. I can't wait to see you guys!!!!! love you!- OH- and We don't have the internet right now, because the heidemans are gone- and we bum off of their internet, so- that's why I haven't skyped- or called you back- because I can't- I"m at school right now using their compouter. anyway- just wanted to let you know I'm not ignoring you- and usually you call when I'm sleeping. I love you-
hahaha! Sunbeams are the best! And you breaking the toilet seat -- oh my goodness, so funny! Yeah, of all people to break it, it's a teeny little thing like you, awesome :D
And the eating thing...interesting! I agree with what others have said: Let him try to feed himself, maybe he's not all that hungry, and there is the slight possibility that's just an Oisin quirk. Good luck!
Wow- that sunbeam story. Seriously, I can imagine it. Our kids are like...2-3 years older than yours and they still talk about their private parts and openly scratch them. It makes me feel awkward and then I remember they are just kids and don't really understand yet...I guess. Anyway- I have no advice on the child and his eating problems. Toilet seat story is hilarious. Love it. I used to do that too when I had to get up so early. Sit on the toilet seat. My eyes would close and I swear I could fall asleep while brushing my teeth. Anyway- I love you! Sorry you're sick- so are we. It sucks.
Alex can be tough to feed as well. He does the best when he has something to do with his hands though. So, I usually give him a spoon and some food on his tray, and then feed him bites from his bowl. He will refuse to eat or hit the spoon away if he doesn't get to help in some way.
Good luck!
Post a Comment