Monday, June 15, 2009

3 More Weeks

This is my life . . . well my life 43 hours a week-

Everyday: Breakfast dishes, tidy house, recycling (which is a LOT), take the trash out, wash 2+ loads of laundry, iron for about 1.5 hours and take care of Oisin.

Once a week: Clean 2 full bathrooms and the downstairs lou, sweep and mop 2 giant rooms and 4 normal sized rooms, as well as 3 flights of stairs (they don't have carpet anywhere), put away groceries (they order online and it is me running as fast as I can up and down the stairs and through out the maze of the garage for a good half hour. I am always drenched in sweat once I'm finally done.) Change all the bedding on Friday.

Twice a month: Clean the oven and the inside of the fridge.

In 3 weeks . . . NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In my head I am shouting this. I'm pretty dang excited. I love Oisin and think he's super sweet and I'm sure will think of him once I'm done, but I'm sorry- saying goodbye to all the WORK of the job is just too dang exciting to think of anything else! No more ironing piles of SWEAT PANTS for a 3 year old. And more than that- no more ironing the entire wardrobe of a one year old- that started when he was 8 MONTHS old!!!! I never minded ironing their dress pants and work shirts- but little shorts and t-shirts that are smaller than the iron and often get pooped in 10 minutes after wearing them? What is the point in ironing that? What is the point of ironing pillow cases and duvet covers with dinosaurs on them???? I will never know. I think it's a european thing here. The kids- wherever you go- look like they came straight from a GAP KIDS ad. I'm not kidding. The kids look way more suave and expensive than Greg and I do. I didn't know there was a place in the world where toddlers could outshine me. Ha ha. Well, I'm really excited to be forever done and will never do childcare ever again. I think it should be illegal.

That being said, as hard as it HAS been- I've never felt more prepared to be a mother in my life. I'm as prepared as I'm going to get, until I experience the real thing. I don't have any fears anymore. I know I'm no expert and still have things I'm going to learn- but compared to my mothering abilities when I started- I have learned a LOT and I'm really glad I have that experience now. I feel like a lot of the "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING" stress when you have a baby will be minimized greatly. Granted, I've never done this on NO sleep and I've never breast fed or given BIRTH so yes- I still have a lot of new experiences and worries to overcome. I'm just saying, I'm glad I had this learning experience.

There's been many times while ironing sweat pants where I thought, "Why am I doing this? It is so not worth it!" It's been a mental struggle. BUT!!! Last month I realized something. I'm getting paid 850 euros a month. Altogether I will have worked 9+ months and get a month bonus when I'm finished. So I've made 8,500+ euros by doing this. If I didn't have this job, we'd have over $10,000 more to pile onto our school loans. So no matter what, it's saved us a ridiculous amount of money and I need to remember that and be grateful. Also, what would I be doing anyway? Watching more t.v than I already do is a bad idea. I 100% know I would've sunk into a deep depression if I was by myself for that long on a daily basis.

I'll leave you with the famous stair that I fell down and put Oisin in the hospital for 2 days because I fell down while holding him (on my second day). I never thought I'd get used to these things. I'm sure my bladder, along with my thighs, has strengthened because of these babies. Who wants to climb a flight of stairs just because you have to pee? So here they are. They look the same, but each picture is a different flight. Enjoy!


9 comments:

Danielle said...

OR 7 am. I was so confused. I getchya now. Holy SMOKES! You DO have a TON of experience! That is awesome. And your right- $10,000 LESS debt is AWESOME! I can't believe you only have 3 more weeks! That's nothin! I love you!!!

Emily said...

Wow, ironing a 3 year old's sweat pants? Why would anyone iron sweat pants, no matter how old you are? I bet your arms are super strong.

3 weeks is nothing, and think of your awesome bonus and all the money you saved for loans...that's awesome!

I'm ready for you to be on the same continent so I can chat with you once in awhile!

Our Pratt Pack said...

I can't believe you do that much ironing right before Todd started his externship I bought him a steamer and was like here you go... Like I have time to IRON! Anyways only 3 wks to go that's awesome!!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

That is WAY too much ironing... especially for a toddler's clothes. And sweat pants?!?! Crazy! I think the only thing I iron for Ethan is his dress shirts for church and maybe his khakis if they need it. I really hate ironing and probably wear way more wrinkled clothes than I should. Oh well.

Those stairs - wow! And 3 weeks is nothing... that's going to go SO FAST! I'm so happy you were able to save so much be added to student load debt - that's really awesome.

Rochelle said...

Yuck Ironing! Who DOES that anymore? You have all my sympathies. And those stairs look steep and slippery! I'm excited for you. See ya soon!

Shannon said...

We packed our iron and are giving away our ironing board. LOL-the only time I iron is when I sew.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

yowsa! That is alot of stairs, that's not the way I imagined it. I imagined a shorter flight of stairs. I'm so excited to see you! I have eto go!- loev you-

Sutherlands said...

Wow! I am surprised you only slipped once on those stairs...I am so clumsy I would have slipped many, many times and definitely broken something!

I just got all caught up on your blog! I enjoyed reading about your "mommy-to-be" wishes and your story of how you and Greg met.

Happy three weeks! I can't wait to see you!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Megan you are awesome and amazing. Too many stairs. I can't wait to see you. I love you grams