Friday, June 19, 2009

Things We've Been Up To

Last weekend we went to the temple with our ward. It was the second time we've been to this temple (in Holland). I've never talked about it before. I always feel a little lost in temples, in general, unless I'm REALLY familiar with it. It's a lot worse when something as simple as WOMEN is in Dutch and you REALLY don't know where to go. Everyone speaks english in there so they point me in the right direction, but I always feel like a fool while I just stand in the hallway looking at each sign and in silence, completely wondering what to do with myself. Another interesting thing about this temple, is going thru an endowment session where many people in the room understand/speak very different languages. Last time it was just French, Dutch and English. This time there was Portuguese as well and I want to say another one I didn't expect. So there are headphones available, which is WONDERFUL, but it always takes me awhile to focus because I can still hear the speakers for everyone else! 
Isn't it pretty?
Even though we've only been able to visit twice, I've been really glad it is here. I can't imagine going a whole year without going to the temple. The whole ward went together on a big bus. Greg and I didn't know we were supposed to bring a lunch. We assumed everyone would stop somewhere to eat, so we were left hungry while everyone ate. But the bishop was AWESOME and bought chocolate snacks and orange juice for everyone! As much as I LOVED IT, in a funny way it made me feel like I was in kindergarten on a field trip.

This is Elise Osorio. She is a daughter of a family we are close to. We've gone to see she and her sister sing at a jazz club for school and she invited us to her graduation. We just LOVE HER!!! This was the last time we saw her before going to BYU.
Greg always has back issues and, his muscles being so big and mine so small, he'll have me walk on his back. The last time when I hopped off I saw two BIG WHITE IMPRINTS of my feet! I couldn't believe it. This is me trying to recreate it.
2 Weeks ago: Ah, this was the best day. When we first moved here, the Cole's told us about an incredible market that was open only on Sundays- so we never bothered. But lo and behold- it's open all WEEKEND. So we went and found it. HOLY COW!!! It was AMAZING and SO MUCH FUN!!! Do you see how crowded it is?

It had INCREDIBLE and CHEAP produce that went on forever and ever. 
It was so bitter sweet the whole time. We were SO EXCITED to find such a fun place to shop but were SO SAD to think, "Everything is SO CHEAP, we could've saved SO MUCH $ if we knew about it before." Oh well. Atleast we have it for a couple more weeks.
I bought some cherries. I was so astonished at the price, but then the following week noticed they came down at the stores too.
It was indoor and outdoors. It was like a never ending maze. It literally had EVERYTHING. I mean, Greg bought a suit on the spot for 50 euros and I bought razor blades. Oh yeah, and the cheapest brand name chocolate we've ever seen. We bought 3 bags and I ate most of it that day.

We stumbled upon some big cheese to buy. Well, we bought small portions, anyway.
As you can see, we had a great time!
Then one last stop to the Asian Market. Oh this store has saved us. Who knew the cheapest peanut butter in town was here? It was a nice surprise. This store is giant, full of yumminess and cheap. Greg and I will die when we move somewhere without a store like this. I remember with SUCH clarity the first time we shopped here. We both came with our backpacks, knowing we needed to load up. I thought I was going to die. We had to get everything: soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sweet and sour sauce, curries, noodles, rice vinegar, stuff for sushi, etc. etc. And we couldn't just get one bottle or the little bottles. What's the point of that. I have hauled many a heavy backpacks since I've moved here, but I am SURE this was the heaviest yet. We were both dying. I remember they didn't even have the OPTION of extra sacs so we were panicking we wouldn't be able to fit everything in our packs. Greg and I like walking thru this whole neighborhood. Everything's Asian and there's a lot of Thai restaurants. 
Another funny thing about this store- well, I'll jump back a bit. Back home, in Eugene, there was an asian market we loved just 5 minutes from our apartment. We frequented there. Anyway, we made it to THIS store sometime our first month here, when I was still adjusting to Europe. Anyway, we walk in and I take one whiff and ahh . . . . it smelled so familiar. Inside those walls I felt like I was in Eugene and it felt soooo good. I couldn't believe that I felt so at home THERE, but I really did. Funny thing is, back home I HATED going to the Asian Market- it stunk. Every time I walked in it smelled like a pet store and I couldn't believe it was full of food. As soon as I walked into the Brussels market- same EXACT smell! But instead of repulsion it was, "Ah . . . home sweet home. I LOVE it here and I feel HAPPY here"

A few weeks ago we went to go see things we still hadn't seen in Brussels. We went to this church, I guess it's famous. All churches just look like Notre Dame to me now.
It's weird, there is an insanely strong part of me that NEVER wants to see a church again (y'know, the one's that I don't attend). They ALL look the same. But then once I DO see them- they are all beautiful. I just love being able to look down a never ending isle with pillars. I always think it looks cool. This is probably the best pic in a cathedral we've ever taken. They are IMPOSSIBLE to achieve!
Then we stumbled upon this garden and walked around. In the pic it looks small, but there was a spectacular view of Hotel de Ville. Ok. The way you say it sounds like, "Hotel Devil" with a french accent. It is a very scary "haunted looking" spiky hotel. So I always thought, "How fitting." Then recently Greg corrected me that it was Hotel de Ville (translation: Village Hotel or Hotel of the Village). I felt so silly when I realized.
These trees always look like horses legs to me.
Then we stumbled upon some friends in the city! This is Tristan and Garret. They went to Bruge with us.
We finally got me some Belgian Fries. They are better than America's. They are fried twice and not as thin. They POUR sauce on and I always thought it looked drenched and disgusting but it was goooooood. 
Just had to throw in this fabulous shot.

On our way home . . . I tell ya, I am gettin' WAY excited about havin' my car again. I can't wait. I can't imagine being able to leave when I want. I don't have to check the tram schedules and try to time it all right. I can just GO! Although, being able to get to my car in 10 steps, versus the MANY steps I walk getting around town . . . I'm a little concerned on what's gonna happen to my thighs and behind.
Walking down to our street. We really do live in a beautiful neighborhood. I'm so glad we're not in the city.
I wish I could report that THIS week has been as exciting. We've basically been coming home from work to make dinner and eat it while watching Project Runway for the rest of the night, EVERY night. I don't feel SO BAD because it's almost like an activity because of how much we react and discuss what we're watching. But we watched the last episode online last night. I just don't know what we're going to do with ourselves from now on. Lately we've just been very content to be lazy. There is officially only 2 more weeks of work left! Yahoo!!! The last week will be 50 hours- YIKES!!! AND 2 kids instead of one. It might be a killer, but I'm keepin' the faith. I can't WAIT to go home and have no responsibility. I know it won't be that way for long. After 2 days of nothing, I'll get myself a job. It's only so fun to be a bum for so long.

As our departure is nearing, I'm getting sadder and Greg's getting more excited! 2 weeks ago it was completely reversed. Greg is getting really excited for his guitar. I'm getting really excited about our stuff. The last week in Oregon was such a blur, I'm not 100% sure what we sold and what we kept! It seems a little weird that we have no furniture to our name. That is weird to me. But we still have all our lovely kitchen stuff. I'm ready to say goodbye to all our IKEA stuff that has just BARELY made it to the end . . . like our cutting boards.
 Even though I don't have a piano anymore, I can't wait to see my piano music. I just want to hold my books and know that we'll never have to part again. I haven't had a piece of classical music in my hands in 9 months. That is too long. I love HSM, but that's ALL I've had to play and I'm ready to "get back to my roots". Ha! Never thought a phrase like that would come out of my mouth. But it's so true. I LOVE classical music. Well that's about it. Toodooloo!!!

11 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my gosh that market looks amazing! I love places like that, there's so much to look at, and I love how it was so cheap for you, that is a bonus.

Looks like you guys are living it up there your last couple of weeks. It has been so fun to read about your adventures!

Danielle said...

Great post. Man- that would be SO HARD to not be ANGRY and BITTER about that market! Like you said though, at least you have it for the last couple weeks. You made me smile when you talked about the classical music. I understand. There really isn't an equal feeling as that of playing classical music on the piano (at least in comparison with HSM or other piano pieces)- I'm excited for you. I love you so much! Did I ever tell you I'm growing my hair out again? I am really going to try and get it below the boobs this time (exuse the way I refrenced that...but really is there another way to say it? Probably...)

Watts Family said...

You look so great Megan! I am glad you guys are having a good time there, and have been traveling a ton. We all miss you here!

Rochelle said...

That's a really cool market. I would LOVE to go there! It actually looks more fun than the church. See ya soon!

Kristi M. said...

That market looks so exciting. I loved just seeing the piles of food together. So cool! Bummer you didn't know about it sooner. I love how you remembered the name of the hotel. That is something that I would do, associate it with the way that it sounds or looks.

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Well, that was great and made me nostagic! I can tell you're getting close!! That market looks so cool!! I wish you had your piano, but it will happen again. I'm glad you're sight seeing still. What an amazing 9 months. that is so cool about the temple. I am getting so excited to be a temple worker. It got postponed until August 22. :-( oh well. love you!!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

That was a really good post. That market did look amazing. That is so sad you just discovered it. You probably wish you hadn't discovered it! I am so excited for you guys to come home, and you have to come to mom and dad's or my house to stay while greg is hiking. Hello we haven't seen you in forever. That is funny what you said about your thighs and rearend. You are REALLY skinny. I'm sure you'll just excersize like you used to. I wish you guys were going to live in Eugene. We miss you. So I get hte impression Ikea only lasts for a year? or were you just sick of it after a year? The tree's were cool, the ones that looked like horse legs. I love you!

HeidiT said...

It seems like I'm always hungry after reading your blogs! The pictures and descriptions of all the food over there sounds so yummy!
About my cakes -- Charm City Cakes is a cake place in Baltimore that is featured on a show called Ace of Cakes on the food network. I loved watching it and then just decided that I wanted to make cakes too, I looked up a recipe for fondant on the internet and that's how it started. I've never had any classes -- it's just kind of been trial and error but has been a lot of fun learning!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Wonderful market. I loved the post,and I want you to know, we have 2 pianos so come over and you can play until you are tired of playing. love you grams

Danielle said...

K- I have no idea what you've been talking about with the countdowns! I haven't changed them once! They have been the same and correct the whole time as far as I could tell! I was very confused with your comments. I love you!

fiona said...

That is an AWESOME market! What a shame you didn't find it sooner! but better late than never! I really love that church, I always liked stopping by there...I think St. Michaels? The fries! You made me want some!