Saturday, August 1, 2009

Who knew bald could be so beautiful?

Well let's start with the most exciting thing I've ever blogged . . .


This was right before going upstairs to shave her head. I asked her how she was feeling.


Alright, the big moment . . .

As for my own feelings, I was feeling pretty pumped. Once her hair started falling out she just wanted it gone. But she wanted Mike to be there, so we had to wait 'till Friday. But once she said she wanted to- oh man- MY heart started pounding and I felt all shaky! I wasn't expecting that! I must say, I think she looks like a bald babe! As strange as this sounds, she has an excellently shaped head. Perfect roundness, with no lumps. There was a couple years I wanted to shave my head, but didn't have the courage and years later, after the desire had faded, I felt my head and realized it was lumpy. But really, who looks good bald? I didn't think anybody could- but Amy looks great! I was so pleasantly surprised and relieved! She still looks like a knock out! I thought, "Man, if I was in her shoes I'd just walk around bald all the time."

I just spent a week at the coast with my wonderful family!!!! I drove to Eugene to pick up Amy on Monday and we just headed over! I was SOOOO excited to see my sister Rebecca and her 3 girls!!! It'd been almost a year since I'd seen them. They're staying at my parents for a couple of months so I'll get to see them as much as I want! I felt like the girls and I got to know each other so much better and it made me really happy. They're all so fun. I got such a kick out of each of them each day. They're each so different.

Now here's one of those pictures that no one should ever see, but for whatever reason, I post it anyway. Does it get any classier than this? Each of us, individually, not looking our best.
And how cute is this? I am amazed at the contrast in our bundled up coats and blankets and their swimsuits and skinny little bodies.

This is Gracie. She is 4 and I just love her. I love to hear her speak. She has the cutest way of saying things. Every time I'd get dressed and come down the stairs she'd exclaim, "Oh Megan, that outfit is SO CUTE!" She would just melt me. She loved to be chased around the house. So much, in fact, that when I'd get too tired and say I needed a break she said I could sit on the couch and chase her while she runs around me.

My husband couldn't believe when I told him I went in the ocean with the girls. It's quite possible it's been a decade since I've worn a swimsuit on the Oregon Coast.
We had so much fun. Talk about a work out! I couldn't keep up with them. This is us doing a monkey dance.

Micheal Jackson dancing . . .


I had so much fun. It'd been a long time since I got so silly. I was afraid it would be too cold for me but it worked out.

Aliese painted my fingernails and toenails. Who doesn't love that getting done? I do! Aliese is 11 and sooooo mature for her age. She is not only beautiful, but so spiritually minded. She thinks of things I had not yet figured out until I was out of Primary- that's for sure. She is very sweet and very kind.

Gracie and Anna. Anna is 8 and so full of sass. She's always looking at her self in the mirror, brushing her hair for literally hours. And she LOVES to dance. She is also, very fashionable. She is very expressive. Anna wanted us to have a serious pose.


This was a haircut I gave Ames a few days before the big shave. Her hair was starting to fall out in a pretty traumatic way, so I chopped it to get her by 'till Friday.

Before I went to the coast, I reorganized sections Pat's house!!! It was work!!! I would wake up and work a good 6-8 hours for atleast 4 days, I would say. The picture below was what I found while I was cleaning out cupboards. This is about 1/2 way thru the whole process- meaning there was a lot more to come. From top to bottom, left to right, each individual bin contained: shampoo, conditioner, hairstyling products, sunscreen, facial products, deoderant, nail polish, hair tools, soap, stuff for eyes. Yeah, it was a lot to take in.
Amongst the many expired things I threw out- this was the winner. It expired the month I was born- more than 27 years ago. I kept this one to show Pat and Randy. They're coming home tomorrow!

Ah, and the upstairs room. This was kind of the dumping zone of the house. And now it's where Greg and I reside. Look at it now!!!! It's my little haven.

Now I'm home and excited to have a relaxing Sunday with my husband, tomorrow.

17 comments:

Daniel and Tiffany Ward said...

Amy looks beautiful! And you're right her head does look really really good!

Mel D said...

She looks hot! I'd probably just go around bald were i her.

Emily said...

I love her bald head!!

How fun to spend time with your family at the coast. I bet you missed that being gone for so long. rebecca's girls sure are cute and grown up.

Do I get to see you when I come to Oregon?

Clay said...

Ummmmmmmmmmm okay. Seriously- I was worried. I thought she might look funny. I mean- like you said- bald? Who would voluntarily choose that? But seriously- SHE STILL LOOKS GORGEOUS! I can't believe it! It's her pretty face! It's true- it brings out her features more. I just am so relieved! She does have a nice head. Thanks for posting the pics as well as the video. It was nice to see how it went down. The girls are soooo cute- the explanation you gave of each was PERFECT- explains them all to a T. I love you so much!

Clay said...

Ugh- that was Danielle. I have NO IDEA how this happened.

Shannon said...

Wow Amy looks great! I wasn't really worried that she wouldn't look good bald. I am more worried about scratchy things against her head and sunburns and things that people who have hair don't think about.

Thank you for cleaning out my parent's house. They are going to be so shocked when they get home. I can't believe how much sunscreen they have. When I did the same thing to my grandma's bathroom, I found a 40 year old can of ether. Unused. I wondered what my grandma was doing with ether...

Kristi M. said...

Amy looks so beautiful. She totally looks like a Demi Moore- GI Jane with her bald head. With her gorgeous eyes, I figured that her lack of hair would be no big deal. I still gravitate to her eyes more than her bare head. What a relief I am sure that this is all done with. Thanks for the video. It was really funny to watch with the stages of shaving and all.

Our Pratt Pack said...

Look out Demi Moore new hottie in town! Amy looks amazing!

Lindy and Bryce Ellsworth said...

Hey! How are you? I'm so happy you had such a great time at the coast with your family. We miss hanging out with you guys in Eugene! Have a wonderful week!

HeidiT said...

She looks so great! I can't believe how beautiful and natural she looks with no hair.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Amy looks wonderful and I am glad she does, as it is hard to lose your hair. I cried for her, she is truly a brave and beautiful girl. We loved the girls and the pics of you and them on the beach were amazing, I loved that you got in your swim suit and waded out. WOW!!! I am so happy you are home and here for Amy. Nicole has a job in a shop in Bridgeport a classy shopping mall. She is happy and starting Sept 5th I think. I love you and it was good seeing you last Monday. Love Hugs grams

Justica said...

Holy cow I am amazed how good she looks with a bald head. She is brace I'll give her that. She looks so good with it! :)

Stephanie said...

Amy is gorgeous and so brave. I would have been in complete melt-down~~ Great idea to film it...

fiona said...

Wow, she really does look great bald!! Not many people could pull that off!

The beach looks soooo cold! But looked like y'all had a lot of fun, family is awesome. Good job on the organizing, too, what a sense of accomplishment.

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

Megan!! I am SO BEHIND on your posts! Well, actually, not reading them just commenting on them. I love reading your updates - you post really well and just make me want to keep reading. So I actually haven't missed a post but I [ahem] usually read them at work and don't always have time to comment but I'm working on it now, so don't forget to check some of your older (but recent) posts!

It looks like you had so much fun with your family!! Like all the fun, craziness and silliness that you hadn't been able to have with them while you were in Europe was finally catching up now that you're home. You were such a good sister in Amy's head-shaving video. She is so beautiful, even bald. What an emotional event.

Also, I love the cleaning/organizing you did! I bet that was very therapeutic... I love organizing but don't get to do it as often these days. And laughing at the expiration date - the very first time I meant Sean was on a blind date at his friend's grandparent's house and while sitting around the table we found a wedding napkin (you know, with the names of the new couple and the date) from 1990-something. Who keeps a napkin for 10+ years?!?!

Oh, and Rebecca's girls are adorable!!

Jill said...

She's a gorgeous bald chick--she actually looks so much like Demi Moore in these pictures, it's freaky!!! Like in GI Jane or whatever movie it was? Is that totally dorky? I guess so, but she looks hot!!! :)

I LOVE your dancing beach babe pictures! Megan, you are too stinking cute for your own good!!! Sexy lady! :o) And your nieces are adorable, too! I love this post, sorry I haven't commented in a while, but I'm always reading up on you!!!!!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

awesome meg. I haven't looked at blogs in at least a month or more. It was fun! Thanks for encouraging Amy and helping her to feel beautiful. You definitely went into the right profession, you have a gift of making people feel beautiful. Those are great pics of you in the ocean, what a babe! and gutsy on top of it! My feet just can't take it any more. love you!!!! oh I will probably finish Persuasion while I am here.