Friday, December 4, 2009

Blurb Book Reviews

This is what I have been up to. Putting my blog into books, as well as making separate gift books for family. What you're looking at is about 950 pages of work. I am Superwoman!!!! I did all of this in 4 months, and 3/4 of it in 10 days! I had to rush to get it all done in time for a big sale. I thought I was going to die by the end and was literally shedding tears because I thought the work would never end. It was stressful. But now it's DONE!!!! On top is a cookbook I made of Pat's recipes, the middle two is our entire online blog of Europe, and the bottom one is a present, so I won't tell about that.


My cousin Kristi, I believe, wanted to see how they turned out, so I thought I'd put pics and my thoughts on here, for all who have been wondering about these blurb books. They look better in real life, the flash, or lack of flash, can mess with the colors, etc. So keep that in mind. These are all just examples. There's a bunch of different layouts you can use- these are just the ones that worked for me.

Front cover- it's pretty cool how you can just put pics right on the cover!
The back cover.
My favorite pages are the ones that are all blown up, without a border. And I LOVE writing on the pictures. I just think it looks cool.


I LOVE doing collages like this. I think they're always really cute and a great way to combine pictures.
The few other blurb books I've seen, most people do something simple like this. The "blog layout" will automatically put your pictures and text just like this. For me, it's my least favorite layout and I hardly use it. I just drag all my text and pics, as I go into different layouts.

I like to just make pics BIG like this.

You can do all kinds of colors.
This layout is nice, because if you have a bunch of pictures that are similar, you can just throw them all together like this. The pictures are small, but you can still see all the detail.



If you're wanting to do this, be prepared to put in some LONG HOURS!!!! Most people I know, use one basic layout and it takes them a few hours. I make each page different and it takes weeks. So I guess it just depends on how you want it to look. Greg and I have both been very happy with it all. They have different options for big books or small, hard bound or soft cover. Greg and I have done the small square one and loved it. Hopefully that gives people a better idea, if they've had it in their heads for awhile.

And I have to say- if I just made you feel bad for NOT doing it. Don't you dare. I have NO kids and have been unemployed for 4 months. And more than that, I LIKE doing it. I love journals and history and pictures. Though we are told to document our family history, for me it's more about a fun hobby than anything else. I just really like looking at old albums and things. Much more than the average person, I'm realizing. I've loved looking at my parents old yearbooks, and wish they had more I could look at of their younger days. I guess that's my motivation. I think my kids might get a kick out of what I did "when I was their age". If not, I just plain like looking at old pictures myself, and remembering things.

Among other things, when we have time, Greg and I have been having lots of fun cooking!!!
As I've mentioned before, we're completely sold on America's Test Kitchen and ordered there Best International Recipe book. So far, so good. We haven't cooked a TON out of it. But we made all these mexican dishes from it and it was SO good. Greg, Pat and I were all making something different from it and it was GREAT!!! I made "street corn" and mexican rice. Greg made the filling for the tacos and Pat made corn tortillas from scratch! It was fun.
I've been working and it's been going well. I definitely prefer the spa/salon approach of it all, but I've come to realize, I just love doing hair and absolutely LOVE talking to people all day long. I just love meeting different people and hearing what they have to say! It's been a good reminder, not to judge. People will come in and I might think they're a little odd or that their hair is gross and I don't want to touch them, but by the middle of the haircut, I once again realize that they're really nice and end up loving them by the end! So silly to judge people! I just need to stop doing it! So that's been good for me.

Greg's on a ride-along with the Medford Police, right now. Hopefully that goes well and he can make a good contact. He took a test for the Salem Police, last night. We were really worried about his wrist not being strong enough, for the push ups, but it wasn't a problem! He did really well! He has 3 interviews, a group project and the physical test for the Medford police on Monday. Poor guy has to wake up at 5:30am to get there on time. Yikes. Since we had to go to Salem, we stayed with Amy and Mike. It was so good to see them. Amy only has one more round of chemo and then it should all be done! I remember when it seemed like it would never end and suddenly it's here!!! I'm so happy.

Greg and I are really getting anxious for him to get a job. I guess we just feel he really has a good shot at the police. And if he gets it, we'd be able to buy a house! How awesome would that be? We find ourselves looking at houses and talking about decorating. We're trying not to get ahead of ourselves, but it's hard not to. We'll see what happens. We've decided if he doesn't get hired on with the police, we'll move back to Eugene. So, either way, we'll be on our own again. I think that's why I'm feeling anxious, either way, we'll be moving on.

This doesn't connect with anything else I've said, but I really want a piano. I am missing it so bad. It's been over 4 months now, and that's just too long.

14 comments:

Mel D said...

Your book looks absolutely amazing Megan! I think that's the coolest thing ever. I know I would love to look back at things like that. I hate, HATE writing though. Major damper on the whole thing. I'll regret it later. I do love reading =)

fiona said...

Love, love, LOVE the books! I am so doing some for our blog. I've been looking at them/planning to do it, but haven't yet. They are so cool! I love reading old journals and looking at old pics, too. And your Mexican food...yummmm... it all looks so delicious. Also, I'm glad you're enjoying your job! That's always good :)

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

Megan, your blurb books look SO GOOD! And I totally love the layouts you picked - much better than the plain, typical layouts they give you. I'm hoping to have more time to work on mine once we've moved and I'm not working full-time.
Good luck to Greg on the Medford Police job! How exciting to be able to buy a house.

PS: Thanks for all the comments - I know they've been a little one-sided lately but I'm trying to catch up! I love reading your posts!

Lizzie said...

Loved the post. Your books look so good. I love to blow my pictures up that big also, but it usually tells me I have to low of resolution. Very frustrating. I don't have a ton of pixels on my camera, so maybe that's why. I love your books. I'm glad your busy doing hair now. Your food looks amazing. Like really good restaraunt food. Yum. I got your message on my phone. We were in Orange County for 4 days. We brought little Gracie back with us. It's been fun. She is the sweetest little girl.

Love you so so so much!

Jenni said...

Ok, so I was just telling Michael how I haven't journaled since we got engaged and I really want to make my blog into a book because I write most things on there. SO, how did you do it? Just blurb.com???!! I've got to do it, they are awesome!

Great job, megan! And thanks for inspiring me!!! I'm so glad you did that because you guys lived such an awesome dream life over there!

Carina & Dan said...

I love the book! It looks so awesome & you did a great job with the layout. That will be such a treasure of your adventures. what program did you use to make the book?

HeidiT said...

The books turned out great. It was nice to see the examples because I had heard about being able to do that and would like to maybe every year or so with my blog. Now I know what to expect.
Your Mexican meal looked SO good - like it came from a restaurant!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I love your pictures, and I think your amazing to do all of that work on the blog to make books. I am so happy you are reminded that you love to do hair. It is good to have a reminder sometimes for the things we love. You are a great hair stylist, and you love it so it is a perfect fit. I pray Greg gets a job so you guys can move on. We love you and we have the piano board now, so stop and get it when you are going by. Let us know and we'll bake a cake or dinner or something. Hugs and Kisses grams

Watts Family said...

That is so cool! I want to do that some day!

Danielle said...

Wow- great post. Loved it ALL! I LOVE YOUR BOOKS! So amazing! Just motivates me to continue with my cooking blog. I want to make a cookbook SO BAD. I just have gotten off track I guess. I think your layouts and stuff look great! What else what else...I'm glad you are enjoying work. I always think that about people. It's just like whatever that saying goes...I don't know so I wont attempt it, but it's about how if you don't like someone, it's because you don't know them well enough...or soemthing like that. It's like...if you take the time to truly get to know someone, you will learn to love them...same goes for every person and judging I think...ANYwho...I love you and miss you! You guys are still planning on coming for Christmas right? Or can you with your job?

Kristi M. said...

Thanks for sharing your awesome books! I have been in the middle of putting my blog into a blurb book for the last 2 years and it is so so time consuming. It is crazy but so worth it in the end. I did manage to get all of my sons preschool art into a book from Inkubook so thats a start I guess. I also love that you can put together books on blurb and then sell them. I have journals from my dads mom that I wanted to type up and then publish into a blurb book so family members could buy it directly. It did such a fantastic job! I just need to find time!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

That is sooooo cool!! I want to do that but life has been way too busy, maybe this winter! I am so happy for you! I am really happy you are enjoying your job. I find the same thing happening at weight watchers, I end up loving everyone (well almost everyone), people are generally good, it's just the media that makes us feel like we live in a crap world. That is one reason I love ww's, because it keeps me real. Well, I hope the police thing works out. I of course wish it would be Salem because then you would be closer, but I know you will end up where Heavenly Father wants you. I think it is a good idea to move to Eugene if nothing works out. It's good to be on your own, you will be happier. I am excited we are all going to Rebecca's together, I am excited to see you! I miss our book club. If you ever want to start again let me know. I think we could choose better now that we know what works and what doesn't. If you are working on those other books I understand. Well, I love and miss you!!!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

the books look really good! I hope the sale wasn't too amazing or I'll be really mad! I didn't know they were doing a sale. can't wait to look at them in person. And I'm curious about this gift one... just because I have to know everything :) I hope Greg gets teh job. Mike is getting an interview! Dec. 15th in something that he wants to do and pays 50 thousand- hahah- I just had to say that because of the whole 50 thousand conversation we had with the police deal- ha. Glad work is going well. Love you

Sisters: Chunky to Skinny said...

Your books look great...Please tell me how and where you did them. I want to document all of my posts about Addison for her, so she has a copy. I have used my blog as a journal. Please let me know...ambolyne17@yahoo.com.

Thanks!!!