Sunday, April 18, 2010

Questions

Alright, now that we're actually moving, we're suddenly buying things. So questions. Strollers. We're trying to get everything used, or at least the majority. So strollers. Some come with a car seat- do you recommend this? Would it be a mistake to buy them separate? I don't know what's gonna work for me. What worked for you? And some people act funny about buying used car seats. Like it's really dangerous. Is it? I mean it either latches or it doesn't, right? Oh yes, and rocking chairs. How often are you in them? I'm not much of a rockery person, I'm worried I'll simply never use it, that I'll go to the couch because I'm a couch person. Rocking chairs always seem to be leaning BACK, I like to sit upright. Is it a MUST to have padding for the seat, or will a simple wooden one suffice? If you feel like sharing your experience, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

19 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Well, when I had Henrietta, I discovered car seats are completely unnecessary.

Sari said...

car seats arent recommended to buy used due to you dont inow it its been in an accident that can cause stress fractures to the plastic thus making them virtually usless. depending on what you like you can but the stroller car seat combo is totally a choice you can opt out of. I have lots of other advice but we will have to get together after chris wedding to talk.

Rebecca said...

Okay, first of all, Amy is so darn funny.

I think it is awesome you are looking into used stuff. I love buying stuff at garage sales, and thrift stores.

Now, for the important stuff. You absolutely have to buy an infant car seat that comes with a stroller. Trust me on this. They are wonderful. They are easy, and if you have to buy each anyway, why would you buy them separately. Now, as for price, if you buy new. The more expensive it is the more perks, but that may or may not be important to you. For example, more expensive ones might have more cup holders, a bigger basket underneath, easier manipulation (breaking it down, setting it up, ect.), maybe an adjustable handle (which would be important to you because you are tall). The wonderful thing about the stroller car seat combo, is your baby really can't sit in a stroller until about 6 months old, unless you buy a fancy buggy or something,just for the first 6 months. But the car seat, just fits perfectly into the stroller, if the baby is asleep, then the baby doesn't wake up when transferred. Then when the baby grows out of the infant seat, you have to buy a new car seat, but you still use the same stroller.

Rocking chairs. The reason--babies like them. They aren't for the mom, they're for the babies, and then if the baby is happy, the mom is happy. Cushion or not? Imagine if your baby really likes the rocking chair, and you are in it 3-4 hours a day. Do you want a cushion? Probably. I loved my glider, but Lizzie hated hers. You'll want to try out several to decide what is comfortable to you. Darin spent as much or more time in the rocking chair as I did with Anna. He would grab the nursing pillow and hold and rock her for hours. It was great, she loved it.

Love you. Good luck. But trust me on this one, I don't think it's a life or death situation if you buy cheap, expensive, used, or new.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I have no advice on your questions. I think Amy is really funny. I have an old wooden rocker that was used to rock Alan and all of you guys. It still works fine. Put a pillow in or not, You are welcome to keep it if it suits you. It wouldn't cost you anything. Hugs and Kisses PS sounds like Rebecca knows what she is talking about. grams

Watts Family said...

If you were to buy one thing New it should be the car seat. They have an expiration date on them and you never know if they have been in an accident. I know it might sound silly, but I always think what if? A lot of baby things are super nice used. The start of summer is when of the nice big garage sales start. Huge block ones.

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

Ok, I pretty much second everything Rebecca said. I would highly recommend the carseat/stroller combo because you'll need both anyway and will use the stroller long after your baby outgrows the infant carseat. Ethan is three and we still use it. It is definitely nice for when they are sleeping. Personally, I really don't like the umbrella strollers... I know they are "convenient" and don't take up much space - but I always find they are too short and I'm pretty average (maybe a little taller) height and you are taller than me. It made me feel like I had to hunch over and my back got sore. Plus, I like all the perks of the bigger stroller (cup-holder, place for keys/wallet/phone, basket underneath for bags, etc).

We never bought a special rocking chair because we already had a rocker/recliner. I would recommend having something and I would go with a cushion. You may be in it a lot!

On my wishlist for whenever the next one comes along is a nursing pillow and a nice/durable/easy-to-use baby carrier.

Sisters: Chunky to Skinny said...

OKAY...These are my thoughts. I would NEVER buy a used carseat, you don't know the history of it, so you don't know if it has been in an accident or not. I would let someone buy it for you as a gift. As for the stroller, now you can get away with a used one, but it is nice to have the set that snap together. As for a rocking chair. I had one and used it, but it wasn't wooden. I am a couch person too, but at night it was nice to have a chair right there in her room, so could just nurse and got back to bed. If you have more question feel free to ask.

Mindy said...

Amy's comment is so funny! No baby here, so no advice from me. But it sounds exciting and I love thrift stores/garage sales so you just rock that used stuff girl!

Emily said...

Ha ha, Amy you rock. We'll chat about this some time, I'd love to share my "wisdom" with you.

I will say this though. Car seat and stroller MUST go together. Makes life so much easier. FOR SURE.

Rochelle said...

I just want to see the house! I LOVE garage sales. They're addicting. Now I have too many toys. Have fun! Take the free rocker.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

ok I was expecting an announcement???????

Danielle said...

do you know what you're having yet?

Kristi M. said...

I am so weird about finding the best quality for the best deal.Oh trust me on this, I am a research fanatic. One of the very best books that I ever bought and read everything in it was Baby Bargains. I HIGHLY recommend buying this before you buy anything. It is so worth the money for a first time mom. It breaks down pros and cons of anything baby and goes through everything about all of the available brands of items. It will tell you what to spend your money on and what you can skip or buy used. It even mentions maternity stuff. I also have the Toddler Bargains. Best book! Because of this book, I decided on a new Graco carseat. It received the best ratings and ease of use is great. Carseats do expire after 6 years of manufacturer date (label on carseat) so you have to watch that. I've bought all of my convertible carseats used but the infant one was new. I ended up getting an Inglisena stroller. Almost unknown in the states but it compares right up there with the top brands. I ordered it online for a killer deal. I was looking for something lightweight, compatible with the carseat, had the rain shield and cold weather boot. It is so easy to pick up and move around. I also bought a graco carseat frame stroller. LOVED that when Gunnar was in the carseat only and I've seen them on CL here. Lightweight and doesn't take up lots of space. The book wasn't a huge fan of the carseat/stroller combos. The strollers are huge and bulky, take up TONS of space and can be spendy overall for the quality that you get. Honestly I didn't use my stroller a ton. Used would totally work and the majority of carseats fit or you can contact the company to get adapter pieces.
I really liked my glider rocker for late nights in Gunnar's room. It was pretty handy. Cushion is a must. I also went with the books highest recommendation but found mine in the newspaper for an awesome deal. If you have children's consignment type places, they are a great place to look for used things too. I bought our crib there. Looked it up in the book and found out that it was rated high and from Italy. Awesome! I really recommend that book. It will help you make these decisions more easily.

Kristi M. said...

Oh ya, Amy's comment was the best!

greg&sarina said...

hi megan - my two-cents here... wait a while before buying anything - its your first baby so you will probably get lots of baby gear as gifts! i nurse during the day on the couch and at night I nurse in the rocker or in bed... but every kid is different too - my older son hated when we sat down with him, he liked to be walked around all the time!

Lizzie said...

I know I wrote you an email about this, but when everyone says you have to buy the combo (carseat and stroller) they are saying that because they snap together. I completely agree, BUT if you buy the BOB with the infant carseat adapter, your carseat DOES click in. So I would still buy separate and save in the long run.

Agree with the umbrella strollers. I absolutely hate them. too short, too much hunching over. your back already hurts enough having a baby.

sorry I haven't commented in a while. I keep forgetting that your blog doesn't update on my sidebar...it never moves to the top of my list. I had NO IDEA that you'd posted.

congrats on the girl. im so happy for both of you. = )

Not quite the Bradys said...

so exciting for you Megan! I think it's great you are expecting a girl. Girliness seems to come naturally to Arnold women. :) I third everything Rebecca said and I've done this a whole lotta times. Oh- and DON'T buy a used carseat. Love my rocker recliner. Especially if you end up sitting up nights with baby. It's nice to sleep in.

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Don't bother with the rocking chair. If you were a big rocker I'd say yes. I never had one, and was always wanting one until I thought about how it would be hard to nurse inside a rocking chair. If you got one that was cushy and big and maybe. I love Lizzie's bob stroller. I think they are worth every penny. They can be used on the beach,trails, they are perfect for outdoorsy people. I know they are expensive, but to me they are one thing that is worth every penny!! Maybe if you kept your eye open you could find a used one. If not I would still go for it. You can walk fast without hitting the stroller with your feet. I can't say enough good about it. I would scrimp everywhere else, but not there. love you!!!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Oh I forgot to mention, I loved it so much I bought one for me to have here for me when I am babysitting and for my kids when they are visiting so they can stroll on the beach.