Friday, March 25, 2011

Quick Update

I'm at Amy and Mike's. They're MOVING! It makes me sad. And luckily, by chance, Greg had four days off in a row! Meaning, no court or grand jury. No pay back days. REAL days off. YES! So we came to have a good visit and a farewell. It's been a great visit. A perfect life, would be if they lived next door. Or pretty close. We all just get along. It's easy to hang out with them.

Well, I got a new calling!!!! I was released from Primary Chorister, which at first made me really sad, because I absolutely love it. And I got called to be the Primary Pianist and Ward Organist. So I'll still get to be in Primary, which will be fun. And this way I don't have any prep work. I can pretty much play any of the children's hymns on the fly so I can just show up each week and not plan anything, beforehand. That's easy. And Ward Organist. The only thing that's tricky there is Greg has to work Sundays, so it's just me and Scarlet. But after my first Sunday, playing the Bishop told me his two daughters in YW will take turns sitting with me and be my helper and basically take care of Scarlet during sacrament meeting. That relieved my mind. I don't like asking people to take care of her, but I need some kind of PLAN I can depend on! So that was just perfect. A lot of people came up to me afterwards and told me how nicely I played. It was really nice to hear, but I thought it was kind of funny. Did I really play that differently than our previous organist? And they're just hymns and it's an organ. You can't really EXPRESS yourself while playing. It's more about keeping a precise tempo and following the chorister. I don't know. I really appreciated the compliments, it was just funny to me. So I am Ward Organist, Primary Pianist and Choir Pianist. 3 PIANO CALLINGS all falling on Sunday. Kind of unusual. But we're just that short on pianists. So when I was called they suggested giving piano lessons to others in the ward because we're so short handed. So I think I'm going to. I'm just trying to figure out how to get the word out or fish for students. I only have so much time and I don't want to teach for MY pleasure, I honestly don't want to teach at all. It's purely to provide more pianists for the ward. I'm pretty pumped about my callings. None of them stress me out. They're pretty easy and take very little preparation. So I'm feeling good about it!

Tax returns. Couldn't be happier about that. There was a number I was expecting, a number I was HOPING for and then the number it actually is! Is wonderful. We're just really happy about it. It's basically doubling our savings and we're thrilled. I wasn't feeling strapped for cash, but I don't know, I don't believe that phrase, "more money, more problems". Um . . . I'm feeling pretty opposite of it and more money feels good!

Finally rented a Baby Einstein for Scarlet and I think I'm gonna have to keep one of those around. She liked it! It will be nice to have when I need to shower or make dinner. Well, that's about it and little Scar is crying. Gotta go!

8 comments:

Danielle said...

WOW- that is a serious amount of callings! 3 piano callings. Sounds stressful to me. But I'm glad you like it!

That's always nice that you're getting a good tax return!

I'm so jealous you and Amy get to spend so much time together! I wish I could be there too. I'm starting to feel the whole...not living by family dealiio. It's really not the best. Love you tons!

Amy said...

Tax return time is my favorite time of year!!!! More money and more sunshine. You really can't beat it.

I can't believe you have three callings! I don't even have one yet and I have lived here for 5 months! I don't even have a visiting teaching assignment yet and I have asked for one. Not the most on top of it ward.

I'm sad for you that your sister is moving. Kallie might be moving back to Oregon and I have no idea what I am going to do. Sisters are the best and not having any in the same state is the pits.

Aliese the Writer said...

That is so good of you to do three callings for your ward because you don't have that many pianist. It sounds like a lot to take on, but I'm really glad that you feel good about it. I love and miss you so much! :)

Kristi M. said...

I too loved when we got our tax return back however I just upped our withholdings yesterday because I hate not having that money in my hand each month. Everything that I read is that we are giving Uncle Sam a tax free loan throughout the year. I guess it is technically better to be closer to zero around tax time. Who knows. We'll see how this all pans out. Wow! Piano callings. I would be so worried about getting the word out about piano lessons in that people may think you are a free piano teacher for their kids, etc. Maybe you should seek out those that already have a foundation in piano that would love to learn more or get a refresher. Like a sister in the ward that would ultimately be a benefit in the short term if, say, you needed a sub one week. Hopefully you can find a fun balance there.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

I had so much fun with you. Thankyou so much for coming. With feelign sick and my back, it was so nice to have the distraction, and to see scarlet and be reminded why I'm going through this! I'm so glad you came to visit, I know it's expensive with gas right now, and it's a trek, especiallly with a baby- but I'm so grateful you did. Thankyou so much. We love you so much. And I asked mike "do you think scarelt is cute?" and he said "yeah, she's really cute" with a smile on his face! He has never said that before about any child! I'm so glad you're callings will be less stressful. The choir practice will be a little time consuming, but otherwise your calling will be nice and relaxed. UHhhhhhhh- HA- YEAH your piano playing woudl make a world of difference. EVERY pianist makes mistakes, and plays so incredibly slow that you can't even feel teh spirit because you're just waiting for the song to end. It is so wonderufl and spiritual to experience a hymn the way it's supposed to be played. When it's played wrong, it takes away from everything. When it's played right, it can totally touch you and get you really intune with the spirit. I'm so glad you have these new callings! loev you

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I was so happy to see you yesterday, and we loved seeing baby Scarlet, she is the most lovable baby I can't believe it.
She is really special, and she has such a sweet spirit and is so happy. I know you are both so grateful for her. I am glad you got to visit Amy for one last time here before she is off to the wilds.I will miss seeing her. I love you and now you and Jake are the only souls left here to visit once in awhile. Hugs and Kisses

Lizzie said...

I love hearing you call her "scar! . So cute.

3 piano callings. unbelievable. in our ward there are like 2 women who go from ward organist, to primary piano player to RS piano, to ward choir. I guess they should be grateful there are 2 of them!

I wish i could see scarlet. she is so cute. one of the cutes babies i've ever seen.

tax returns. gosh. shad hasn't even started on ours. he kind of likes to save it for the last week and then get really stressed. = )

love you

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

That is great that the bishop offered his daughters. And yes there is a difference when someone really know how to play the organ. I was always moved when Marva Lyman and Rebecca played the organ. You probably were better than the other one. Plus you love to play and that shows. Baby Einstein! I love them!! love you!!