Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thankful

My friend, Emily, just posted on her blog everything she's thankful for. It inspired me.

I don't know about you, but lately I have been SERIOUSLY thankful for my warm house. I can't imagine not having a place to sleep in this COLD COLD weather. I really do think about the homeless on these extra cold days and I'm so grateful I have my house.

Greg tells me about how scuzzy and just plain unfaithful some of the people he works with are and I'm so glad I snatched a good husband! He loves me, even though I have a few oddities and sometimes just plain don't make sense. I know he loves these things about me, when they probably annoy everyone else!

I have been blessed with a beautiful daughter. She's pretty much an angel (even though she's been screaming in her crib for the last 45 minutes, which has only happened once before- no lie). More and more I find people that have trouble getting pregnant, trouble staying pregnant, or all kinds of other fertility problems. So far we have had a pretty easy go of it and I feel really blessed!

As much as I whine about Greg's schedule, I'm so grateful he has a job. A lot of friends have recently lost their jobs and I'm so grateful Greg has a regular pay check.

I'm thankful for my blog. I was reading really old posts the other day and it was so fun. I have forgotten so much and I'm really glad I wrote it all down.

Alright, I'm done. Clearly, there is more to be grateful for, but these things have been popping in my head a LOT, lately.

We spent Thanksgiving at Greg's parents and invited the Marre Family. This is Adam and Laura. We LOVE THEM.

Chris and Scarlet

I WISH Scarlet would stop screaming, what is her DEAL??? I KNOW she's not teething. She's not hungry. And seriously, today of all days, she has only slept 30 minutes! If she even slept those 30 minutes? I don't know. She is just in this, "I don't wanna go to bed phase." It's the 3rd day in a row, and I wasn't too phased. The few times this has happened, I panic and then there's a clear reason and it passes a few days later. This is not passing. And it's only getting worse. It drives Greg crazy, but I always need a reason WHY. And whether it is or not, I'm wondering if it's all my fault. The last couple weeks, with company, sickness, etc- I have gotten WAY laxed on her schedule, with this attitude of, "Oh just let her stay up, she's happy, I don't care" or "we're having fun with our friends, let's go home late, we'll put her down then" when normally I am one of those Nazi, down to the minute types with her schedule (sleeping wise) and in the past she seriously goes down like an angel and I fear I've messed it completely up! Oh man, we've just now past an hour of constant screaming. This stinks. Ooo . . . there's been a pause. Dare I hope? I feel so bad. And I really feel bad if this is 'cause I've let her stay up too many times and now she won't go to bed because of my actions! So it's back to nazi/minute time and I'll see if the situation improves. I really hope so. Ok, I'm done talking about it.

Primary was crazy. I was seriously playing the piano for 1 1/2 hours! My wrists were hurting by the end. Thanksgiving was good. I made crescent rolls for the very first time, which I thought was brave. I usually have to try a recipe on my own before I make it for someone else. I've been breaking out of this habit lately. And then, of course, mashed potatoes. I'm getting sick of making mashed potatoes. I think I'll do something more inspiring next time. But at the same time, I never like anyone else's mashed potatoes. They're often so disappointing. We invited our friends, the Marres, which was great, but suddenly the day passed and we'd hardly talked to Chris and Laurel and that basically stunk. Laura, Laurel, Kathy and I worked on an incredibly difficult puzzle, only to break up the unfinished product when it was time to go home.

New Year's is looming in the air. I'm pretty sure last year I resolved to be more ACTIVE. I have not MASTERED this, but it's definitely improved this year. I guess I say New Year's is LOOMING because I know I have to make a new goal and I know what it has to be, but I don't want to face it. Anyone who reads my blog has probably noticed how much I blog about tv. I watch way too much tv. Too much. It is my biggest weakness. By far. It used to be chocolate but I basically cut that out and now it's tv. I'm worried I have to just cut it out like chocolate, but I REALLY am not ready for that, which is all the more reason to do it. It's not that I come home after grocery shopping, exhausted (does it exhaust everyone else too? It does me.) and I want to pop on a little Wonder Years. Taking a time out for 20 minutes is totally acceptable. It's just the 2nd, 3rd and 4th episodes I'm talking about. And on the really bad days, even more. And yes, even with the 40 minute shows. It's horrible. I shudder to think how many hours I've wasted in front of a screen. And I seriously think, if I don't kick this habit I'm going to have to answer for it, in the next life. Did God really send me to earth to watch pointless entertainment for hours on end? No. I have a problem.

Seriously cute, this one is.
She sticks this tub over her head and walks around all the time. It is the cutest thing. We always think she looks like a little alien/astronaut.

Christmas is coming and it's the first time I don't have a bunch of very specific things I want. It's weird, I mostly want books. I'm turning into Greg. That's all I get him- books. Normally I want clothes galore, but shopping is SUCH a painful waste of time now!!! But it MUST be done, unfortunately. I spent 3 1/2 hours at the mall, Friday, trying on jeans to no avail. Came home empty handed. But Greg found FOUR SHIRTS along the way for himself! This always happens. We go to the mall, because I'm feeling desperate, and Greg is the one that finds something. Every time. It is a seriously hard task to find jeans. And black flats. I've literally been looking for 3 years and they always pinch my toe! I finally settled for something I'm not WILD about, but suits my purpose. What happened to my fashionable days? I miss them, but it would seriously take a LOT of work to get back there and it's not worth it anymore.

10 comments:

Laurel said...

She is so stinking cute! I wish we could have seen more of you guys- but I'm glad we got to see you even if it was just for a short while. I totally know how you feel about new years... it is looming. Thanks for the new post!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

I understand about the shopping. Especially jeans! I searched when I was at Lizzie's, when I came home at the Lincoln city outlet mall, and finally found a pair at the outlet mall in Woodburn at JCrew. That pic is soooo cute! I totally understand about the TV. I have gone circles about that one! I do the same thing. I will do really well for a while then feel overwhelmed or exhausted (yes shopping is exhasting)and crash in front of the TV. The frustrating thing is it really only takes one episode to rest, but we get caught up in being lazy, so sit there episode after episode! I make all these rules about what I can and can't do if I watch TV! It is hard. I know what you mean about the homeless, its hard. I loved the thankful list. love you!!!

HeidiT said...

Jean shopping is the worst! I have been looking for about the last year for new ones and now the old ones are starting to get holes from were they are worn - I dread it. How come you can go back to the exact same store to get the exact same brand/style as the old ones and they look totally different, drives me crazy.
Cami is going through a weird sleep phase with her naps, getting up super early and waking up repeatedly throughout the night. I got a newsletter email from pampers today about this age and the very first thing listed...change in sleeping habits. It said that all of the things that our girls are doing is really common for this age. Hopefully they get back into a routine soon!

Shannon said...

I think I will pay someone to tailor the waist of my jeans in the future. It is so frustrating to me that there is not one brand that has a large-thigh, small-waist cut for me. Now I have these jeans from the Latin market that are good but not GREAT. Scarlet is cute in the pic.

Emily said...

That is so funny, I have been searching for the perfect black flats too! For years! I have a pair sitting in my closet but I never wear them because they hurt my feet. So funny.

I love your list. I think it would be way too hard to list EVERYTHING we're thankful for. I am SO thankful for tv.

Shopping for jeans is nothing short of a nightmare. I hate it. Good luck on that one.

Glad you guys had a good Thanksgiving! I'll miss seeing you this year during the holidays, we're staying here again and i have no clue when I'll make it to Oregon. So sad.

Love you!

Danielle said...

hah. Oh dear. The black flats. 3 years and no success! Yikes. I'm sorry. I liked hearing about all your thankfuls. And Scarlet is so cute in that pic :) Love you!

Aliese the Writer said...

I liked this post. I feel bad because on Thanksgiving I didn't really try to be anymore thankful than usual. That's the whole point! I was really a party pooper on Thanksgiving. I stayed in my room and read Harry Potter (I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that) and I was negative about all the people. I'll try harder. Scarlet is so cute. It's funny what toddlers get into habits of doing. Elle hangs onto the bottom of her high chair and climbs up the wall like a monkey. It's scary, but Lizzie said she hasn't fallen down. Anyway, great post. Love you! :)

Mindy said...

Holy cow. She is getting so big! The alien thing is cute! Toddlers are so funny.

Lizzie said...

she is seriously, such a cute little girl. so adorable. i just love her. and she's so cute with that little thing on her head!

the sleep thing....it's just kids. they go through phases. it'll come back to great again though.

did you seriously cut out chocolate? wow. i'm such an addict. i need some pointers from you.

love you

Lindy and Bryce Ellsworth said...

Your little girl is sooooo cute! I love the picture with the plastic container over her head, love love love it. I hate shopping for jeans too, it's hard these days. But I have some info you may like... you know all the home party businesses? For example, Pampered Chef, Cookie Lee, etc. Anyways they have a jean one called Vault Denim, you should see if there is a consultant in your area. If you have a party the lady comes to your house with A LOT of jeans in every size 0-20 and people come and shop. First come gets best selection. They are designer jeans that are overstocked in stores and sold at decent prices for a home party. The host gets 10% of total sale towards jeans, which usually is at least one free pair. I found a super cute pair and I love them. So fun reading your blog again, and I'm excited to read more. Hope all is well. Miss ya!