Sunday, December 4, 2011

Oh man, I'm tired. I honestly was yawning at 7pm after I put Scarlet down. Now that's a downer. I'm turning 30 next month. 30! That's 10 years away from 40! Too old, too old. 30. It's like it's official. I'm officially an adult. I suppose it's been that way for AWHILE now, but getting old is never normal and I'm pretty sure it's just gonna be weird the rest of my life. I don't have enough kids to be 30. But that's ok. I'm pretty satisfied with my one, right now.

Oh my gosh. My last post. It was all about the pacifier. What a horrible thing to not put together. She seemed so unattached so I thought, "Let's take it away and see what happens." Well, I took it away on and off for a few days and she seemed no different either way. So I took it away completely for a few days and she did fine. Then I FIND one tucked away in there and say to myself, "Has this been in there the whole time?" And took it away without thinking. That's when she went BESERK and it took me 3 sad, horrible days to put it all together. She must have been using that tucked away pacifier to make me think she was fine the whole time. Just like that, as soon as I put it back in the crib- angel sleep. Just like that. Instantly and putting her down is like a dream again. Makes me wonder what IS gonna happen when we take away the pacifier for REAL. Well, I'm just not going to worry about it for now. Is it silly to hope she'll give it up on her own? It's been a crib-only situation for months now. She hasn't had one when she's not sleeping or had a bump on the head for atleast 6 months and I decided it's strictly crib only for the last month, though the last couple Sundays have been brutal (missing her morning nap) and I've wondered if I should bring it back in the game, just for church. Who knows.

So lately I've been feeling a little ill, haven't been sleeping well, blah blah and it makes me feel all crappy inside and like I'm not being a good Mom. Well I was whining to Greg about how I was having a "Bad Mom Day" and he told me it was all in my head and I thought about it. I honestly did everything the same that day, concerning Scarlet. The difference is my attitude. Instead of having fun when I'm singing songs or reading books with her, I'm just wishing I wasn't or counting the minutes 'till her nap. So as much as I do feel a little bad for not being "in it" with her, I realized I'm not treating her any different, so she probably doesn't notice anything's different. And then I was just thinking about it now. I was looking at all the pictures of her on my phone and they went all the way back to the day she was born. And I realized- WE ARE ALWAYS TOGETHER. Greg and I go out maybe once a month and I only go out with friends maybe once a month too. So that's about 2 evenings without my babe? I guess I'm aloud to get a little crazy inside, sometimes. That made me feel a little better too. I think the only times I DESERVE the Bad Mom Award is when I ignore her and watch tv. Which I've done more than I wish. But I haven't done it for awhile, which I'm glad to say. Anyway, this has just been on my mind a lot, because I've been feeling kind of crappy lately, which starts the whole crappy Mom cycle.

We got a Christmas Tree! I was ridiculously excited about it. Last Christmas was SOOO stressful. I probably never blogged about it, now that I think about it. Greg was SOOOOO stressed about his job, he literally said he was going to quit every night he worked. And then he would go in one more day. I remember when he'd be at work, I would wonder if he'd come home that night and say he quit. It even got so serious I put an ad on craigslist to rent out house and we were going to move to Eugene and I was going to get my old job. All the while, Scarlet was a few months old, my hormones were still completely out of control and did I mention last Christmas was stressful??? Anyway, my point being- we never got a christmas tree or decorated at all! And to be honest, I didn't even notice. So I was SOOOOO excited to do it this year! We went all out and got a really nice tree. We must have gotten rid of ours when we moved to Europe, 'cause it's gone now. THAT tree was $20 at Walmart, but this year I decided to just go all out, because we're going to use it every year the rest of our lives, most likely. So we shopped around a bit and the best one was clearly the one at costco. No comparison. It was more than I was hoping to spend, but I decided I just didn't care. So the box was pretty BIG. We looked at it, debated and thought it probably wouldn't fit in the car, but I just couldn't leave the store without it. So we get it anyway. I guess I just thought my hopes and faith were enough to have it magically fit in our trunk. Well it didn't fit. There was no way it would fit in any way. So there we were, the 3 of us, with a huge box in the costco parking lot. Long story short, we called our friend, Steve Jones and he came and got it for us. It looks great and I am satisfied. There were ornaments I got in Europe that we had never put up yet! And then my glass ornaments I made. I don't know if they look nice to anyone else, but I love them. I also put up lights on our porch. I thought they looked pretty good, and then I took Scarlet out in the stroller, at night, to look at the neighborhood lights. And then after seeing everyone else's, when I came to our house I thought, "Oh, THAT'S what our house looks like? I thought it was a little more spectacular." Oh well. It's just about Christmas Spirit. I've never put up lights outside before and I think they're cheery. After we decorated the tree, Scarlet put a crumpled up piece of paper on the lower branches. It was so sweet! I wanted to leave it there, but after a couple hours I took it down. I just thought it was so sweet she was decorating the tree with us!

Ok, I feel like I need to clear something up. Chocolate. Sweets. To say I've OFFED them is an exaggeration. I DID off them for a good month or two, but then little by little have worked them in. I don't keep them in the house, and basically only allow them on dates or when I'm out with friends. There have been a total of 2 insanely chocolate overload weekends, where we DID have it in the house. Both of those have involved candy bags from Costco that were consumed pretty quickly. So when I put it THAT way, it doesn't sound like I've OFFED anything. But when I compare it to what I was consuming before, it really is almost non existent. Because the 2 INSANE moments/days were what I was doing EVERYDAY. Now I'm just like a normal person. Or close.

11 comments:

Danielle said...

haha oh Megan. I love your blogs. Your so funny. "I thought they were more spectacular"...ahhaa..I agree thoguh- it's all about being cheery! You can just keep getting more lights each year after Christmas. That was the CUTEST thing about Scarlet crumpling up paper and putting it on the tree! So cute! Isn't it great when we have these realizations like you did about not being a bad mom? It's so true...it's like...you always make me laugh when you say things like that cause do you know how amazing you are? So little moms spend so much time with their children and make them the center of their life. Love you so much! I'm SO EXCITED for Christmas! Yay!

Amy said...

That is crazy about the hidden pacifier! Pacifiers are wonderful and then a such a pain when it's time to get rid of them. I am so glad you got to decorate for Christmas this year. I decorated my outside for the first time too. I live in apartments and it is only a porch but it made me happy. I never turn them on though because I have to go outside in the cold to do it. Today it is 18 degrees. Yuck! Anyways I always love when you post!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Very good blog! And yes like Danielle, I am still smiling from my laughter and out right loud laughter at the Costco box! Been there done it!! The only difference was I was driving the Corvette with Rebecca, we both forgot bought a hanging plant and lots of food. We got out to the car and stared at it. One of the Costco employees laughed helped us load it then told us to get in and he loaded the rest all around us. Rebcca holding the large hanging plant. It was a crazy fun memory!!I wish I could see your tree and lights!! Oh well. I wouldn't worry about using the pacifier while she sleeps and at church. I used a bottle with Danielle til she was 2 because I knew she was my last baby and I wanted to hold and feed her still when I weaned her. Lots of kids have their pacifiers until they are two or so. Eventually you will just know its time. I love that Scarlet wanted to decorate the tree. You are a great mom!!!! Your dad would remind me that I was a good mom when I would worry about that. He always pointed out that I was a full time mom and I didn't ever need to feel guilty about taking time for me or running errands or not being as happy about things as I thought I should. 30, yes its a benchmark. The rest just got easier from there. I have to admit 55 has been a weird one, and yes aging doesn't ever seem like it should be happening. I think I should be young and capable of doing whatever I want!! But my body tells me that isn't so no matter how much I exercise, or how well I eat!!! I have been watching less TV also, I hope I can keep it up. I love that you had to confess about the treats, our family I think will always struggle with the treat thing. Love you!!!

Lizzie said...

do you really think she hid the pacifier? or was it just hanging out it there and you missed it?? wow. it's really cute though how much she loves it.

shad and i had to cram some patio furniture in his CAR once (we forgot we'd driven that instead of the van on a date one night). we were in the target parking lot FORVER trying to cram it in. we finally fit it in with the trunk open adn me in the back seat with stuff on top of me.

love you

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Oh you are so funny Megan, I loved being 30. Enjoy it while you still can, age comes no matter what you do. Time usually begins to fly by in the late forties, it passes so quickly and just goes faster as you age. I think you are one of the best moms that I know. Wonderful in fact and your whole world revolves around Scarlet. So never fret about that. It is normal to have some negative feelings once in awhile. You are human and none of us are perfect, although I think all of my granddaughters are pretty close to being perfect. I am so glad that your house is decorated, I am still working on mine. I love you and kiss Scarlet for me

Aliese the Writer said...

I'm sorry last year was stressful, but I'm so happy for you that you got to decorate this year! We got a real tree this year. Scarlet is so cute with her pacifier and decorating the tree. :) Love you!

Lindy and Bryce Ellsworth said...

That is a funny story about the pacifier. Your little girl is seriously so cute. So fun getting a Christmas tree. And the sweets, I totally hear ya... I will quit for a bit and slowly but surely let them back into my diet. It's crazy. Oh did you find out if there is a Vault Denim consultant in your area??? Hope your enjoying the holiday season.

HeidiT said...

That is pretty funny about the pacifier and the paper in the tree. I am finding that our kids are smarter, funnier and more sneaky than I give them credit for at this age!

Rebecca said...

This is Rebecca, Anna finally has her own account. Anyway, love the confession at the end. You are so funny. I can't believe Scarlet is old enough to try to add to the tree. So cute. The bad mom thing. Welcome to the club. One word. Satan. You are an awesome mom, and as soon as you doubt it, try to think, "oh yeah, that's Satan's stupid opinion on the matter, but I know differently". Scarlet is the luckiest girl in the world to have you for a mom, even if you watch TV, or don't jump for joy everytime you read her a book. LOve you.

Emily said...

So funny about the pacifier...I can't believe she was hiding one from you! We got rid of Easton's when he was 16 months and it was super easy. I think the older they get the more attached they get...we're doomed with Carly and her thumb. Anyway, he only had it at night for a couple months and I finally decided to just do it. he cried for about 15 minutes for 3 days and that was the end of it. It was awesome.

I want to see pics of your tree, it sounds awesome!

You're an AWESOME mom!!! She is lucky to have you!

Mindy said...

I heard the 30 birthday is pretty difficult! Good luck! haha. The box not fitting into the car... I have done that with things. Haha. Or I have walked/road my bike to the store for one item and end up buying A LOT of groceries only to realize I didn't drive. That sucks! That is cute about the paper in the tree! What a little helper.