Sunday, April 8, 2012

This was last week. The bump is definitely there. I think I'm 25 weeks? Maybe? Gosh, I felt so far along and looking at that number, it looks small. I'm already anxious to get the baby out and get a flat stomach again. You know, reasonably flat- I'm not going to kill myself for it.


Scarlet has been looking so cute in her jammies lately, I just had to have a picture. But she just wanted to look at the camera instead of letting me, so this is what you get.
Every morning, right after breakfast, Scarlet picks out a movie and watches it. I used to fight this, but giving in has made mornings so wonderfully dependable. I realized, she's going to watch tv at SOME point in the day, does it really matter if it's first thing? I WISH I could show you how EXCITED she gets when we look at the DVDs. I must get this on film some day. It wipes away ANY guilt I get from letting her stare at the tube for so long. Is that horrible? I'm serious. She gets JOY from this thing. It's amazing. She never lasts the whole cartoon, she stops anywhere from 40 minutes to a little over an hour. It depends. But it's great. It gives me time to catch up on the dishes or take a shower if we have to go somewhere (otherwise I wait 'till her nap- I DO shower on a regular basis, though the "shower-less" days seem to be creeping in more regularly, as well). Is she cute or what? She's been starting this laying down position, while watching the tv, and I think she's so cute while she's doing it!
Potty time. Did I mention before that Scarlet keeps asking to pee in the toilet? She asks ALL THE TIME. She never does though, so I stopped putting her on the pot a long time ago. But Greg still plays along with her. I don't remember if I mentioned how it all began. A couple months ago she was bathing with Greg and said she wanted to pee. So he stuck her on the pot and she acted a little afraid and when he took her away, she said it again so he put her in the sink and then she peed. We were astounded. But nothing's happened after, but she still asks all the time. So we thought, maybe she would pee if we bought her a little potty of her own? So we're gonna get one and see what happens. I never thought we'd start so early, but hey, if she wants to and it works out, why fight it? Nuts! Don't worry, I won't be frustrated if nothing comes of it. She just keeps asking, so we'll see where it goes.
Easter time!!! This was so fun! She's been so young for every holiday, but she's old enough to look for candy filled eggs! I was so excited to get her a little basket and small gifts! So fun!

Of course, a Dora Easter basket and a Dora Ball. The eggs have M&Ms in them.

Church is SO EARLY so we had her egg hunt afterward.
It was so fun! It took her awhile to catch on, she just wanted to eat as she went along, but she figured it out eventually. And so sweet, she kept sharing with us.
Man, kids really make the holiday! It was the sweetest experience, watching her walk around and pick up her eggs! It was just so sweet! It made me feel full.


Scarlet has been singing a lot to herself. It's the sweetest thing. She sings while we walk somewhere, she sings while she plays and looks around the house. She sings and hums, to herself, more and more everyday. It's adorable. She's getting really good at learning songs. Her actions to primary songs are so much better lately! And she was singing Old MacDonald today and I've only sung that like 5 times, and not lately. It made me wonder if they were singing it in Nursery today. She's also singing the Itsy Bitsy Spider and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. She's been doing Twinkle Twinkle for a long time but only humming the "up above the world so high" part over and over with the syllables and sounds. But today she busted out the "twinkle twinkle" part of it and actually said the words TWINKLE TWINKLE and then just kept going into the other part she knows. I was amazed! It's just so fun to see her catch on and learn. She's just getting more physically capable too. Like now she steps onto the steps instead of crawling on them. She impresses me every week!

I don't know why, but I think the most adorable thing she does is eat. Something about the way she grabs food and puts it in her mouth, I just love it. She looks so adorable when she does this! Not that's she's always doing it. Lately she's been a stinker and very picky. I can't wait 'till I can just say, "Fine, then you can starve tonight!" But I don't feel like she's passed that line quite yet. Maybe at 2? I don't know. We'll see.

Just when I think she can't be a better sleeper it just gets more so. She sleeps with her baby and doggie EVERY night and every nap. If we lose one of those things we're dead. One night we couldn't find them, she tucked them away in our closet. It was a little panicky until we found them. But we go through our little routine- books, scriptures, prayer, song- and then I put her down. Well, once in awhile after I finish singing I'll linger and rock with her and instead of letting me hold her she leans back and asks, "Sleep?" She just wants to go down! And then when we put her down and put her blanket on her, she ALWAYS ALWAYS reaches up and waves and says, "Bye bye." Every time. It's so cute. She has been the easiest most mellow child. We have been so blessed. I hope we get lucky twice :)

Her latest phrase has been "ee ya go" (here you go) as she hands us something. She says it all the time. It is the CUTEST. I love it. It's funny how you don't realize you say something that much until she says it and then you know why. She is always putting on a purse or a bag and waves and says bye bye and walks away. It's so cute. Oh man. I dropped something or hurt myself or SOMETHING and I swore and she repeated it right back to me!!! I was never so grateful that she can't pronounce everything perfectly! But I knew what she was saying. SHE didn't know, but I did. I felt really bad. That was a bad Mom moment.

Her favorite book, BY FAR, is Skippy Jon Jones. At first I couldn't BELIEVE she had the attention span for that one, but I think it's 'cause I do all the voices. I can get pretty into it. Who knows, maybe she just loves it 'cause it's about little doggies. At first I loved it, but I am so sick of it now. We read it EVERYDAY, if not multiple times a day. And it's a long book!

Things are better with me. I was just having a bad day, last post. Looking back, people were more friendly than I gave them credit and I was just being a whiner. Last week I hung out with a friend, someone came over for a haircut and I went to Pastry Friday. It's a friday outing at the park and everyone brings something to eat and all the kids run around. It's EVERY friday and if it's bad weather it's at someone's house and TONS of people come. It was great. I got to talk to a lot of women from the ward. I was lucky enough to score a ride two weeks in a row. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to make it. I'm hopeful I'll just happen to get a ride every week, but we'll see. I'm never going to ask, I don't want to be a pain. I was just lucky, the last two Fridays, where someone just offered each week.

So I was all excited to cut hair at home, and actually cutting someone's hair WAS fun. I'd forgotten how much of a passion I have for hairstyling. I really do. It's like last year I didn't have time or convenience for it. I was constantly stressed about Scarlet, if I couldn't give her my full attention. But now she's older, I've got the hang out it and taking out 30 minutes or even an HOUR isn't a crazy thought. So this girl (I should say woman, but that just sounds old) came over with her 4 kids and they were all really good kids, but Scarlet just got overwhelmed and would start crying every 10 minutes or so. And between that, some kid would need SOMETHING every 2-3 minutes. I don't know if I ever spent 3 minutes straight on her hair, so the whole thing took almost an hour. That's a long time. But I didn't mind. The thing is, by the end, the VERY END, Scarlet went a little beserk and just started crying at my feet. Red faced, tears streaming- that doesn't happen very often and only if something's really wrong. But I'd been trying to finish this gal's hair for so long now- it was just like, "I need to get this done." So I just ignored her. Which I never do. I don't ignore my child unless it's a tantrum. Which this wasn't. I'm sure she was terrified at the chaos in her home and space and was thinking, "I'm crying and terrified! Why are you not holding me and taking care of me! What's going on?!" Which only added to her stress.

I'm not an idiot. I know she's not scarred. I know she survived. I know some people would even tell me it was good for her, (crying and not being taken care of) which I do not agree with, but that's another post. People used to say that to me all the time when she was a newborn. It's good for her to be without you. It's good for her to cry. I mean seriously, that's no different than saying, "It's good to be stressed, especially if you've only been alive a few weeks." That makes no sense at all. Stress is good for no one. And I'm sorry, I think kids belong with their Mommy. Especially when they are infants. Anyway. Side note.

Back to my point. I know she's fine and I know if this happened every week she'd still be fine. But it was the first time, or at least the first time in a long time where I felt like I completely neglected my motherhood duties. And I just didn't feel right about it. My job right now is HER. My priority is SHE. That's my number one. Greg and Scarlet, they tie for first. I hope it doesn't sound like I never let her cry and cater to her every whim. If I'm making dinner and I can't stop in the moment and she's crying at my feet, yeah- I let her cry 'till I can leave the stove 'cause we have to eat. If she's crying 'cause I won't give her chocolate or watch a 4th episode of Dora in a row- yeah I let her cry away. But if she scrapes her knee or something freaks her out and she needs the feeling of safety- YEAH, I fulfill that need for her. I kinda feel like that's the point to my existence right now. That is not something she's always going to need, but right now I feel like that's the thing she needs the MOST from me and now is the time to provide it. I take time when I need it. But I don't NEED to cut hair. That, to me, is not worth ignoring my child.

I'm not going to quit just yet. Not every haircut is going to bring 4 wild kids and Scarlet feeling uncertain. So I'm gonna keep going with it and see how it goes. If she doesn't get used to it and it freaks her out every time, I'll quit. So I'll try a few more and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, I can try again later when she's older.

We are so happy to be here. Greg and I both keep saying on a regular basis how much BETTER this life style is. The schedule has affected everything. Our time is so much better spent. It's been great. We've gotten into a nice routine and it seems to be working for everybody. He comes home from work and plays with Scarlet. I finish up dinner. We eat. He plays with Scarlet, I clean up. Then we have an hour or so together as a family and then one of us puts Scarlet down. Then Greg and I have a good 2 hours before we go to bed. Sometimes we vary from this, but it's usually how it happens. I love it. I love seeing them play when I'm in the kitchen. I love not having Scarlet whine at my ankles when I'm in the kitchen too. I love that they see each other everyday and play together everyday. I love that Greg and I see each other everyday. This is much preferable.

As for DC, I like it! It's really pretty here. It's lush and green and full of grass and trees. People are FRIENDLY. It's very diverse. Often I feel like I'm overseas again. It's really common to be the only white person in sight and people are speaking different languages. Even in the ward. At Pastry Friday, an American woman was speaking Arabic to her children. But I like it. The radio stations are SO MUCH BETTER. It's crazy how much better they are. I almost never bring my IPOD driving, now, where before I almost couldn't bear the radio anymore. There is always an airplane flying overhead. Every time I stop outside or am driving THERE'S AN AIRPLANE. And I don't mean one. Like one every other minute! I don't know why, but whenever I see an airplane up close (they're really low here because the airport) I just think of 911. Every time. I keep waiting for it to pass. Everything ships here in 2 days!!! We almost got on Amazon Prime and I'm so glad we didn't! Everything literally gets here within 2 days of ordering it. Everything is here already so it doesn't take long to travel a state or less. It's crazy. We're so used to things taking weeks. It's really bizarre, but in a good way.

My days with Scarlet are so low key. I love it. I think it's partially the pregnancy, and that I really can't handle much more than low key and I like that it just forces us to hang out. When you physically have to stay near the house and can't run errands you are forced to have more leisure time together. But I think it's a good thing. It took me awhile to adjust, because I'm used to getting things done, but we're constantly being counseled to spend more time with our families and now I have more opportunity than I ever have before. I mean, I suppose I've ALWAYS had the opportunity, but now that's all we do. Monday thru Friday, all I have on my list is shower, make dinner, do dishes and hang out with Scarlet. It made me feel funny, because I'm sure anyone looking at my day would think my day was full of nothing and lazy and pathetic, but that's not how I see it. And I'm just going to enjoy it, because I know it won't always be like this. But I'm hoping this experience will help me to stay this way, as much as I can, as life progresses and gets fuller and busier. I mean, who says a life is better if they get more tasks done in a day? Tasks that ultimately mean nothing, when all is said and done. But doing nothing with Scarlet is more meaningful than little tasks that can fill our day. I'm not going to remember the cookies I didn't have to make for a class at church, but did anyway, but I'll remember playing with Scarlet or taking walks together or singing songs. As much as I feel like it looks bad on the outside, like my life isn't full, I know it is and that I'm focusing on the most important things. In 10 years, all the song singing and patty cakes will be over, I need to do it now while the need and opportunity are facing me.

Greg and I just started watching The Cake Boss. It's awesome. We're hooked. We watched The Black Donelly's a little while ago too. That was pretty good too. It's so nice to have the nights together! We have been pigging out on Easter candy. Big time. I don't know where this chocolate is all going. I was starting to wonder, "Am I getting fat and I just can't tell?" But I asked Greg last night and he said no. I've just been getting away with it . . . for now. I have been LOVING The Hunger Games. It is so morbid. That's not why I love it.

I have been whipping up the most wonderful meals. I am so good at cooking now! I'm not trying to brag, I'm just so pleased with my progression. I used to STINK at cooking. I would get so stressed out and then mess up 90% of the time. Now it's NOT stressful, and I rarely mess up and it's always GOOD. Really good. I've been trying all kinds of recipes and they always turn out! I'm fearless in the kitchen now! I love it. It's been a goal of mine. And my sides have been improving. I'm still not up to where I want to be, but I've improved and have become pretty consistent. Greg's been really happy with it and so have I.

I bought Scarlet some sand toys and we have gone to the Volleyball sandpit the last couple days. She loves it! She was all freaked out and wouldn't even touch it, at first. I had to sit her on my lap and play with it first, then she tried it. It's so nice, because sand doesn't give you slivers and it all wipes off. I don't have to worry about her falling off and usually no one's even there. Tomorrow I'm going to make play dough. I think she'll like that too.

Sleep has left me. I pee way too much in the night. It's the same battle, go to sleep thirsty or wake up all night long? It's always assumed I'll wake ONCE to pee in the wee hours. But waking 5 times a night has become all too common. And I've realized that if I don't empty my bladder regularly, I am at risk for peeing my pants. It only takes a sneeze, which has been happening a lot lately with my allergies. It's happened a good 5+ times now. Not a full on "peed my pants" kind of thing, but a "I definitely want to change my underwear" kind of feeling. But it happened the other day at Target. That was unfortunate. If I pee every hour, I'm good to go. But if I find myself holding it, 'cause I'm sick of peeing all day long and I sneeze???? I'm in trouble. This didn't happen last time I was pregnant. I'm having an extra hard time keeping my undergarments covered this pregnancy too. It didn't seem to be hard, last pregnancy, either. I don't know what's going on.

We have pretty much decided on a name, and we LOVE IT!!! Well, I'm pretty set on it, but Greg wants to wait 'till he's here. But I'm feeling it's the one. It's funny, Greg was set on Scarlet from the beginning and I just didn't have anything else to offer and then she came! I think that's how this one will be. But no telling 'till he's here. Sorry! He's kicking around all the time. I need to find a doc and make an appointment. I keep forgetting!

Oh yes! I went to an international grocery store and their veggies were SO CHEAP!!!! My friend, Nicolina, told me to go there. I mean, cheap for here. They were just normal OR prices that I was used to back home. And it's only a mile away from Costco and a Target is across the street from there! So basically, pick up the veggies at Grand Mart (it's hit and miss for some things, so I have to go there first), then a quick drive to Costco for the fruit and then finish up with the dairy and box/can stuff at Target! I can't believe I spent less than $100 this week on groceries. We've definitely been spending double that or even triple since we arrived. WAY, WAY, WAAAAY too much on food. Finally found my system and it isn't even inconvenient. I was starting to worry I'd have to spend half my saturday running around town just to get groceries, but it's going to work out quite nicely and that makes me happy. You know, this is a major part of my job! I want to do it well! I am so surprised at the prices I am finding at Target. I used to think it was expensive, but the Target brand isn't at all! And it's nice, because then if you have a random "not grocery" item to pick up, it's there! But it's dangerous. I keep buying little toys for Scarlet. It's hard to help myself. The best about Target is- get this . . . mexican food. Refried Beans in this town are like cigarettes in prison. Not really, but they're seriously uncommon here! NONE at costco, MAYBE a few cans at the grocery stores and really pricey. But Target has black and pinto and around $ 0.80 a can and they're plenty stocked. Thank goodness. The only thing I can't find now are these green chiles I use to make Chili Reano Casserole. I'm starting to wonder if we're going to have to part with that dish, this year. Such a pity. I can't find any smoked ham hocks either. That is a sad tale too, because then I can't make my Louisiana Red Beans and Rice. Both such nice and easy and TASTEY meals! Maybe I can make the drive out to Walmart, I know I've bought them there before, but that was in OR. We'll see. GARLIC is another unusual thing. It's either really expensive or in a massive bag (like Costco) and you'll never use it up. Such a dilemma. It was cheap at Grand Mart, but it was also molding. I didn't know garlic could mold. This is what I meant by hit or miss. It's cheap, but sometimes there's a reason it's so cheap. Oh well, I suppose there are worse things I could be facing :)

7 comments:

Danielle said...

I have to say Megan, I am so grateful that you are so grateful for your life! I know that sounds funny, but it makes me happy that you realize how lucky you are. And I am so happy that you believe spending time with your child is enough. I completely agree. You are a really good example to me of how I want to be! All the videos and pics were sooooo cute. She is so stinkin cute. Love you!!!! OH and you look great and super cute!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

She is so cute and I am glad you are enjoying being a mom. Cooking good meals is a great skill. I hope you find your green chilis, it is so hard when you can't find the things you want to cook with. I remember when some of those things were hard to find in Oregon. Now there is a lot of Mexican everything here. I am happy for you and I think you should keep trying to do some hair, as everyone won't bring children with them. I love you and you are looking like you are pregnant. Thanks for sharing your pictures of Scarlet. Loved the Easter Egg Hunt. So fun Love you

Shannon said...

Scarlet is so cute laying on the couch on her belly. It's interesting that there is no Mexican food section at the international grocery.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

I read it! yay! Loved the videos and pics- so adorable and cute- miek and I cracked up over "PUT IT IN THE BASKET!" haha. Loved all of it. Great blog, great reminder to take time to enjoy life, and the little things. You know your purpose and calling in life, and I'm very proud to call you my sister. You seem to be on the right track in life. thankyou for being such a good example ot me. You are an incredible mother. I love you so much. that's great that you found a cheap place for veggies- we have a place like that too, and it's also hit and miss. but CHEAP! It is annoying having to go to 3 places for food though- i have to do the same thing. again your apartment is so cute! have to go- love you!

Jenni said...

OH. MY. GOSHHHHH Scarlet is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Seriously Megan, she is so adorable it makes me really excited for Harlow to be that age. Oh my gosh. Love all the pictures! You look AWESOME and I'm soo excited that you're on #2!! Way to go on the cooking! The fact that you even have the energy to cook is amazing! I hope the rest of this pregnancy goes well!

Aliese the Writer said...

Great post. I'm glad you're happy about your life and where you live now. All of that with Scarlet sounds so fun. I'm so unbelievably sad that you aren't coming to the reunion. Who knows when we'll see you next! That makes me so happy that we have blogs to keep in touch. Anyway, love you! :)

Aliese the Writer said...

Oh yeah! That's so funny that you lie Cake Boss. We watched it on Netflix for a while. It was fun. Just had to say that!