Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Man. I just took a trip to crazy town. I think I've made it back though. I didn't realize it, and it was a journey getting there- but I went a little nuts in my head! I say little nuts, but I mean NUTS! REALLY NUTS! I suppose, I was a little overdue, being an Arnold 'n all :) but I think I've come out of it.

It was a slow process. Lots of things contributed, but before I knew it I had subscribed to Dr. Mercola's e-newsletter and I got one every single day. In some ways I have no regrets. I have loved ALL his newsletters. They are always on different topics, all health related. I always found them fascinating! But before I knew it, the more I read, the more I started having SO MUCH ANXIETY about EVERYTHING I read. And I mean everything.

It took me awhile to even realize I was all stressed out. I mean, I knew I was worried about these things, but it seemed normal. How could I NOT be worried about these things?! Isn't EVERYBODY worried about these things??? But then one day I noticed Greg was NEVER stressed about the things I told him. He always thought they were interesting and would say, "Yeah, let's make that change" about whatever it was I was telling him about. But that would be the end of it. So I asked him about him not being stressed and he was just like, "Yeah, it doesn't worry me." It may give him temporary concern, but it doesn't linger or give him great anxiety, like it does me. So then he tells me about a coworker who would never say she was stressed, but he said she's always a ball of stress, she just has no idea. So that got me thinking, "Maybe I shouldn't be this stressed. Maybe this isn't normal."

Then Friday/Saturday I was going through my gluten stress and it was like the crazy had peaked and then Sunday I had a break through and finally started to simmer down. The more sunday passed, the more I was realizing how bad it was and how much better I was feeling.

Then yesterday I had a friend over and she was talking about all these current events that, honestly, I was clueless about. And it wasn't so much that I was uninformed and opinionless, about these particular topics, as much as I realized- "You have been so focused on your health/food/body that you have had NOTHING to do with any other part of the world!" It's good to be aware and health conscious. Clearly I am in support of people eating their veggies. But I suddenly realized how out of control it had all gotten. When I die and face God, I know he'll be happy that I took the trouble to eat as well as I can. But I am SURE he will be very disappointed if that's ALL I did with my life. Yep, pretty confident about that one! It was a wake up call.

So again my mind was mulling all this over. Weighing myself out. Figuring out what can and needed to be changed.

Then today. I was tossing over in my head everything. I don't want to be a stressed out Mom/Wife/Individual. I WANT to make the best decisions. I have all this new information swirling around in my head. So if I toss most of it to the wind, does that make me RECKLESS???? If I let my kids eat bread, does that mean I'm a bad Mom? If I'm so strung out about things I can't control does that make me a WORSE MOM? Because I never take the time to RELAX and be LIGHT HEARTED?

So I was reading my scriptures and what do you know the third verse I read was a sweet sweet answer to my unsaid prayer. The ironic thing is that it is in Second Nephi. The Isaiah chapters. I always wish I could get through those chapters faster. They're usually a bunch of words that make no sense to me. But today this one verse spoke everything to me . . .

2 NEPHI 8:3 For the Lord shall comfort Zion,  he will comfort all her waste places; and he will make her wilderness like Eden, and her desert like the garden of the Lord. Joy and gladness shall be found therein . . .

I don't know. Right when I read it, it was like He was saying, "I will comfort you. In all your waste places where toxic things surround you, in your desert that is lacking what you really need, I will make it like Eden and the garden of the Lord, and you will have JOY and gladness."

It was really just what I needed to hear. I tell ya, scriptures are the way the Lord speaks to me. Some people get revelation in the temple, I get it through my scriptures. Not to say that can't change, but I have gotten SO MUCH through reading my scriptures. And hymns. Those are the biggies for me.

So after I read that, it was like all my worries just vanished. I think there's only one thing that's lingering and I have talked it out with Greg and am determined to move past it- TICKS. Ticks and being outside. Ticks and dogs. Ticks and everything. I am terrified of ticks. I am terrified everytime we walk in the grass. I am terrified everytime Scarlet runs over to  touch the flowers or run behind the bushes or touch trees or anything I am TERRIFIED! TERRIFIED! TERRIFIED! The last thing I ever want is to go through this again, with Scarlet or Brighton or MYSELF!!!! I can't get sick and not be able to take care of my kids! But as freaked about it as I am, it BREAKS MY HEART to try to get her away from nature. Nature is from God. It is meant to be enjoyed! Everyone knows I hate camping. I don't like LIVING in nature, but I like being in it! I have always prefered to walk barefoot in the grass, or just walk in the grass in general. I used to go out of my way to do it. I used to like laying in the grass. I want Scarlet to explore and be creative and experience the creations of God! I don't want her to be robbed of it. It is apart of this life!

So talking it over with Greg, we've decided it is important and I shouldn't be stressed out and that we're going to let her play and just hope for the best (and check her little body when she's done playing). I'm determined to move past this and GET OVER IT and be happy. I am sure this will take time, but I know with effort, I think I will be able to move passed it.

So I unsubscribed to my newletters today, which makes me a little sad- because I learned SO MUCH! And I really am interested in all of it. But it is not worth the crazy that has come with it all! As much as it turned me nuts- these are the things that have changed in our life for the better and I'm certain they will stay.

Here's my progress report:

I don't wear deodorant, I use baking soda (I started this before all my reading, but I'm putting it up here, anyway. Same topic.)

I don't cook with oils, I use butter. I do eat oils in dressings, I just don't cook with them. Ok, I just remembered, I do BAKE/BROIL them when cooking veggies. I haven't switched that out yet- but I plan to.

I switched to cloth diapers and wipes.

We don't put our food/drinks on/in plastic anymore.

I cut down my kid's plastic toys but 90%? Somewhere around there.

We only use honey and dates for sweeteners. (Well, Greg uses coconut sugar for curry, and he may use agave for smoothies, but soon enough we will run out and it will be honey only.)

We don't eat any meat at home and have REALLY cut down on animal products, in general.

As much as I still eat a hefty amount of chocolate everyday, it comes and goes in waves and over all it's declined GREATLY. I keep getting better and better as the months go by and it gives me hope I'll get in a really good place someday! We'll see . . .

When I write it out, it doesn't seem like a big deal, like everyone is probably already doing this. But with each change it was like a big SURGE of "Wow! We are changing our life! This is gonna be so great!" And I feel like it has been. I really feel good about all of these changes and I feel like they ARE all big! But for now, I am done. I am done worrying about the things I can change. I want to feel light again and just flow with my life.

7 comments:

Laurel said...

wow - i missed a lot of these posts. I'm glad you were able to identify what was stressing you out so you could get rid of it. sometimes identifying it is so hard. Man- as I read your blog, I'm like "that's one of the principles from eat that frog!" I feel like you've been able to make so many important changes for yourself because of that book - am i right? or just being crazy?

let's chat soon - i want to talk to you about crafts for scarlet and anna

Danielle said...

Oh, I think you are so wise.

Sounds like BIG changes to me! And I think it's good you are backing off a bit because it is no good to be stressed.

I am right there with you on the ticks. But I am also right there with you about nature. I want to go hiking...do small hikes to build up my body...but I am just so terrified of getting a tick and getting FRESH LYME in me. Eck. But Clay is much like you've decided...he says that its not worth it to worry so much and that we do the best we can and if we get a tick we will get on antibiotics immediately. It's something I need to work on- that fear in my life.

Love you!!!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I think you are doing great and that you are doing well with the goals. I am glad that you have decided to not let all of these things stress you out. It is hard to raise a family with all of the negative forces out there. That said I think you are finding a balance in all things. I understand the tick thing, but you are wise to want to be in nature and take the kids out in the woods so to speak. If you always check them and give them a bath and change their clothes after they have been out then that should work. Again balance is the key, not total keeping away. I was raised where there were rattle snakes, copper heads, and coral snakes, plus stinging scorpions and black widow spiders, I never got bit by a snake,or a spider, I did get stung by a scorpion a few times. We have a hobo spider that lives right here in Oregon and it likes flowers and gardens, does that stop us from gardening no or picking berries or fruit and no and again no. We live in a world where bad things sometime happen to good people. We just need to do what we can and pray for Heavenly Father to guide and protect us and listen for his promptings. You are a wonderful woman Megan and a wise mother, just be sure to take the time to stope and smell the roses, and enjoy your children. Granny Biggs always said "Time waits on no man". That means that those children of yours will grow fast and that if you are stressing you aren't enjoying life, I think you are making the wise choice. I love you so much and am so looking forward to seeing you. Hugs and kisses

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OK- when you said you felt like these weren't big changes and everyone's probably already doing them- WRONG. These are HUGE changes, life changing, and alot of people AREN'T doing these things! Hello, most people use disposable diapers adn wipes, most people play with plastic, eat on plastic, most people cook with oil, and i don't remember what else you said- but those are huge things. So don't give yourself less credit than deserved. I think it's really amazing how you adn Rebecca just do your own thing, live your own lives, try things out when the rest of us aren't. You guys are leaders, we are followers. You just do what you want to do to and that is so valuable. I have to get permission to do everything. I'm workign on it and am so much better than I used to be- like ATON, but I still have inklings of it, and wish I were more like you and rebecca. I feel like you are so independent and an individual. That is wonderful. AND- being an arnold :)- I think it is good that you got rid of that email subscription bc for some reason, we don't know how to do things in moderation! So I think it's wonderful you had that time to learn some wonderful tools, apply them, and move on with life. I think you are a very smart and wise woman. And you seem to always be striving to do the right thing. i love you.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Hey- just wanted you to know, i didn't read the other comments until AFTER I wrote mine. And I noticed we all said the same thing- that you are wise :)

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

I'm glad you calmed down. Life has or have balance, but we all have to do what works for us. I buy everything I can organic, but if I can't I don't buy it to just buy it and don't stress a out it. It's Kind of like weigt loss, it's not what you do occasionally that matters, it's what you do on a regular basis. We have to do the best we can. You have made some big choices. But they feel right to you and that is what matters. A lot of the things I do are because of things I read when we had only been married for couple of years. They were things that weren't main stream like using butter I stead of margarine, cooking with whole wheat. Over the years reading and learning g more, making more changes. I learned to trust the spirit as to what I was supposed to do. Love you and excited a out your visit!

Mel D said...

I remember a certain someone commenting they could never cloth diaper. ;) What kind did you go with?

I find myself wigging out about random things. dryer sheets, nonstick pans, sunscreen, deodorant for Danica, bpa plastics, etc. I find myself caring way more because of the kids. I think being smart is wise, its hard not to have it all consuming. I try not to look into things too much or I'd decide we need to move to an island in the middle of nowhere and live off the land.

Awesome changes!!