Oh man. I am so tired. B woke up with 103 temperature today. He looked like death. Normally I'm not too frazzled when my kids get sick, but I just had a bad feeling. So we rushed to get ready and Greg took us to work with him. There's a nurse practitioner there and she saw us right away. He's fine and perked right up after he got some medicine in him. It was so nice to be able to just walk right in! And she knew who we were. She's NOT my own personal doctor, she's the doctor for the whole embassy- but after we got home, they checked in with me twice and told me to call a certain number after hours and to come in right away if he's not doing well in the morning. It was so nice! I feel like they're my own full time doctor! It was just really great.
Moving to a new country is so EXHAUSTING. In all reality, it couldn't be going better. Everything has gone SO WELL. Honestly- better than I was expecting. And I feel like my expectations were really high! But no matter what, there is just so much to FIGURE OUT. I couldn't count how many times I've been longing for a WALMART. That blessed store. I'll be saying it my entire life. I was never a Walmart "hater", but I wasn't a praiser either. I always tried to avoid that store. Oh man have I been wanting that store more than ANYTHING these days!
Walmart is seriously the best thing on the planet. A store that has everything. GENIUS!!!! Oh how I wish it was here. The most random things, you can all find at walmart. A nite light, a blowdryer, a broom. Here? No. It's a different experience. You go to the market. The market is a maze or crammed little vendors, everyone has their own little "stall" and you just walk and walk and look and look. Thankfully, my driver knows the market well and speaks russian so he led the way. But even with his help, it was still difficult! He led me to the section and found a nite lite. Well, I didn't like it and wanted a different one. I could tell it was super cheap quality and it was in the shape of a flour and the bulb was exposed. But that was all she had, so I bought it thinking this was it. We literally walk to the next booth and there were different nite lights! Ones that were better. But I had just boughten the crappy ones! And it's not like you have a receipt and return it. And it seemed like it happened with EVERYTHING I needed. After 3 items of this routine, I realized that I just need to find the "section" and roam around. The whole thing was just exhausting. And as soon as you touch something they're just in your face and won't leave you to mull it over at all. And the markets are full of CRAP. It was impossible to find anything of quality that didn't look like it was going to BREAK. But that's all that was there! The USA is so amazing and wonderful, oh man. I knew USA what rich and had a lot of money but just the DETAILS of EVERYTHING. It's so much better in ALMOST every way. I mean, every country has their individual things to offer. Certain foods, certain products, certain activities or ways of life. But as far as PHYSICAL things you can BUY and USE. Oh man, it is not the same. Not at all. I'll just leave it at that.
I love my driver. He's the best. I don't know how I would be surviving without him.
Greg's settling into his job well. Everyone he works with is so nice, especially his boss. People at the embassy are constantly having barbeques and get togethers. It's GREAT, but I feel like I don't have a moment to breathe sometimes. But I'm wondering if it's just "the season". People leaving, people arriving- reasons to have everyone over. It's been great because we've gotten to know people a lot faster, which is good, but it hogs the free weekend time to to anything else. We've yet to get to the mountains . . . they are so mind blowing. They just go on and on. It really is incredible.
The kids are doing great. Brighton has been walking for four days now. And I mean WALKING. He had taken a couple steps here, a couple steps there for a week or so and I'm not even sure if he realized. But Sunday he seriously WALKED WALKED WALKED on and off all day long! It was crazy! And his distance just got longer and longer and longer. He's walked a good 20 feet outside! The crazy thing is, is how solid he is! He hasn't had one bad fall. When he's done he just sits down or falls on his bum. I like that I don't have to follow him around unless he's heading towards a corner. I need to get a video of him. He's so cute.
Scarlet's been driving me crazy. CRAZY. Oh man. There are a million light switches in this house. In every hallway, in every room, in every CLOSET. And every place has TONS of switches. It's never just one. And she just loves loves LOVES to flip them all on and off, all day long. DRIVES ME CRAZY. She's also constantly emptying out every drawer in the kitchen, taking things here, taking things there. I need my baby locks to arrive!!!!! Even then, I don't know if they'll keep her out! Atleast it will keep B out. By the way, I keep saying B because it's so much easier than typing out Brighton. It's not a new nickname or anything.
Ok. Scarlet. Seriously entered her terrible twos. It's a nightmare. I can't tell you the screams and tantrums I've heard. She hits me now. I have to put her in a screaming time out where I'm pushing against the door, with my entire force, five times a day. Oh it's terrible. And this is after her getting away with a LOT. She's driving me crazy. That's all I can say.
So half the time she's like that and half the time she is so much FUN. When she's not being a nightmare- she's simply delightful! She is living off of yogurt and has been a nightmare to feed. She simply won't eat anything.
Brighton is so much fun. I just look at him and I love him so much. Cute is the word. That is all I can think when I look at him. Last month, it seemed he was changing so fast and the "baby" part was leaving. He is so baby. I just can't get enough of him. I love to look at him.
Confession: He is 11 months and I still nurse him 2-3 times a night. Occasionally I get away with once, but it's rare. I have gotten to sleep 5 hours a handful of times, since he's been born. My average is 3 1/2 hours, a couple times a night. I haven't slept 7 hours straight in over 18 months. I have been longing for sleep. I keep saying I'm going to cut him off, but I never do. There's always a reason (like sickness) or I'm just too dang tired. Well, 2 nights ago I cut him off and let him cry a few times and it was fine! Last night he slept solid for 12 hours, but I realize now it was probably his intense fatigue from being so sick. We'll see what happens, but I think I finally can see it through.
I think Brighton has been so fun because he's so different than Scarlet and it's been such an adventure to watch him grow! He is so boy. He is so aggressive. He likes to hit things. He likes to throw things. He does not have much of an attention span. He hits me all the time, but it's not to actually hit me. He just loves to flap his arms super fast. I try to grab his hands and explain "soft" and "gentle" but his eyes have moved on and he is not paying attention. It's weird, because he loves to play and is always engaging with us, but as soon as I'm trying to teach him something specific, he has moved on before I've even begun. I was really frustrated, but I think I've finally excepted this is just how he is and I need to be more patient.
He REALLY is obsessed with pulling Scarlet's hair OUT. To the point that I'm giving him time outs!!! I'm hoping he will catch on and stop doing it. I just hold him in a certain chair and restrict his arms. He does NOT like it. But soon I'll set up the pack n play and put him in that. I think that will be more obvious and easier for me.
We got our air shipment YESTERDAY!!!! HOORAH!!!! It is so thrilling to have more than 3 dull knives and a cutting board the size of a sheet of paper. It has really been difficult getting by in the kitchen. We haven't literally been starving, but it seems like there is NEVER anything to eat. It's been the WORST. Finally, we can get back to how we used to eat.
Greg and I have been stuffing our faces full of SO MUCH chocolate I can't even describe. I mean, Greg is as bad as me now. That has NEVER happened. I am happy to say- there is good chocolate here. What a happy surprise. And even better- HAZELNUT CHOCOLATE!!!!! It's everywhere. That blessed chocolate. We've been scarfing it down and I think the only way we're not getting fat is that it's been so hard to feed ourselves at all. Because we should've gained 10 pounds by now. EASILY.
We are still SO FAR from a routine. As much as things aren't perfect and I keep thinking they should be by now, we've only been here 3 weeks. It has not been very long. So I guess we're doing pretty good.
We had some local food the other day and it was freakin' amazing. It was SOOOOO good. I'd never had anything like it before! The noodles were fresh and gooey and simply amazing. And it was in this brothy sauce that tasted like STEW. It doesn't sound good but it seriously WAS. SO GOOD. Like I need to learn how to make this and make it a staple forever. It's amazing.
Alright. I'm done. Talk to you later!
10 comments:
haha you are so funny, I loved the rant about Walmart. I don't really think about it myself, but it is true- they have everything! So nice! I'm so glad you have a driver to help you out.
That is so fun Brighton is walking! He truly is SO cute. I just love him. You should definitely take a video of him. Have you done the update on instagram? You need to update the app and then take a video cause you can take 30 second videos and post them on instagram.
That's cool the embassy people are so nice and welcoming! That does sound a bit overwhelming that they are so often! But you are probably right, it's just that time.
I'm glad your shipment finally came! What a stress to be so limited.
I'm sorry but that is hilarious about Scarlet. I suppose the time had to come! She is such a sweetie! I miss hearing her voice. You should take a video of her too :)
That chocolate sounds AMAZING. I want some! Clay and I have been OUT OF CONTROL since California! Like OUT of control! It's so bad! We are doing a three day cleanse next week where we just eat smoothies for three days to detox our system. It's from Dr Oz. We'll see how it goes...
That's cool the food is good. I can't wait to try it someday when you make it for me! haha :) Love you!!!!!!!
Hey Megan!
Yeah, the U.S. is spoiled to put it lightly. I constantly refer to Bringing up Bébé or Parenting with Love and Logic. These really opened my eyes to things in Olivia's life as well as things to come in the near future. They have them on audio too, since you are pretty busy. It is really cool to learn a bit about how things are there :) Enlightening! I hope you guys can skype with us at some point again. We won't be settled in until the end of August most likely! Chat soon! Love you guys!
It seems like you are adjusting so well. It takes me forever to adjust after moving and that is within the same country, and often the same city! What a trooper you are. I love you.
That is cool that brighton is walking.
I think i would like going to the market but not with two kids. What is it like to have a driver? Does he haggle for you there?
Can you hire someone to go to the market for you?
I love it that Brighton is walking a lot now, pretty soon he will run and you will have to sprint to keep up with him. I am glad you have a nice driver to help you, what a blessing and the ability to help you with the language. Scarlet will mellow, just keep being firm with her and she will get the message. The most important thing is to be consistant I can't spell that word. Love you guys and Wal-Mart is a pretty great store, although the one in Spfld is a huge and too large for me sometimes. Hugs
my computer is ab out to die! but i loved your blog- and i'll comment later! love you! and miss you!
Oh my gosh you live in another country! Yeah we have a pretty amazing country. And walmart is amazing- haha. I LOVE walmart! and mine in particular is pretty awesome- Rebecca and Lizzie have told me that now. I can't imagine these markets, I'd probably get in so much trouble wanting to by all this junk. haha. Is it really cheap like in mexico? or is it the same as here just weird set up? How frustrating to not be able to take things back! I'm so glad you have a driver who can help you so much. I really miss you adn want to face tiem you!!!!!! I hate that we can't talk anymore. B is walking! that is so exciting!!! S not eating-that is frustrating, maddie's going through a phase too, and also- only wants yogurt- haha. I can't believe you are eating so much chocolate! This just isn't you! Man, I would get so fat where you live with all that amazing chocolate and then the hazel chocolate! YIKES! What a relief to get your package- or box or whatever of your food. That is one of the hardest things about moving is that period where you have no food, - just all of it is so hard, and to do it in another country? YOWSA. I can't imagine S freaking out liek that! And i laughed outloud when you said that you had to use your WHOLE BODY to shut the door!!! prob not funny to you- but funny to imagine. nursing through the night :) megan, seriously- there's not right or wrong, it's what YOU want, and what you feel is best for your baby. If you love doing it then do it! If you want your sleep back and feel like B can handle it, then cut him off. But don't do it from otuside pressure or "rules". I'm sure he's a very happy baby bc of it! haha! But you poor thing, you need your sleep too! I don't know how you do it! I'm so intimidated to have another baby! I just don't know how you all do it! I love you and miss you SO much
Poor brighton! That is scary that he had such a high fever. I'm glad you were able to see someone so quickly.
It was so nice to skype with you guys! Thanks for the tour. We'll have to plan a time so that we can see scarlet and brighton.
Well, I just laughed and laughed my way through that blog!! I kept saying to your dad, listen to this. I think I read him almost half your blog. America is a wonderful place. As frustrating as some things are it is still the best place on earth to live. The Lord told us that in the Book of Mormon! We have found all kinds of things in the funniest places that we know Scarlet put there. It was really fun! I think as a mom it would be frustrating thought. For me it was a sweet reminder of her. But as a mom it would get old, I'm sure. I loved watching Brighton walk. It was always a happy day for me as a mom. Although it opens more opportunity for them to get into things! I'm glad you have a driver!!! what a life saver. I'm so glad your stuff came, and it will be nice when the final one comes. I loved watching the difference between Jake and Rebecca. No one can say we aren't born male and female! Thats cool about the nurse practitioner! How great is that!!? I agree about Walmart, it is wonderful. Love your blogs! thanks for blogging!! love you!!
Oh and moving!!! We have been here 6 months and I am still unpacking!!!
Post a Comment