Wednesday, September 18, 2013

This is my new friend, Melanie!
 I met her on the 4th of July at the embassy party. We met and exchanged info right before the party ended and I was so excited because she and her husband came to Kyrgyzstan to build up a Christian church- and they did! She has 5 kids and I remember thinking, "Ok, you are the type of woman I'm used to hanging with. A mom and a follower of Christ. This could go somewhere." But they're moving in a week! The country is kicking them out, unfortunately. I am so bummed. We only got to hang out 3 times but I've enjoyed my short little playdates with her more than anything else I've done in the last 3 months. Scarlet and her daughter, Grace, get along SOOOO well. When I told Scarlet to give her a big hug because we wouldn't see them again, her face got so serious. She finally found a friend and has to say goodbye again! It breaks my heart! Today we went to their house for one last hang out and goodbye. Melanie kept saying when you live abroad, the world is so small and people cross paths again and again and hopefully ours will too. I hope so!

Scarlet and Grace picking tomatoes in their backyard.

How cute is this?

 One of Melanie's friend's, from church, stopped by. I couldn't believe, just sitting at her kitchen table, how instantly I felt connected to these women! The conversation just flowed. Before I knew it we were all talking about homeschool and kids. And it wasn't even the topics, it was just what was said. It was obvious that our goals and priorities are the same. Christ and family. It felt so good just to be in her home. I felt the same spirit I feel in my home. I'm so sad to see her go.

In the many hours I've spent at playgroups, everyone talks the whole time- but nothing's really being said. It gets old. 

It's pretty amazing, living abroad and moving around- how many quick friends you meet. Even though, we haven't really kept touch, Greg and I remember them all and they've all touched our lives in different ways. I think it will always be this way. You meet someone when you arrive, but they're leaving or vice versa. Or someone's just coming for a two month internship or something. People come and go on their way and you meet some really amazing people. It's neat, but sad at the same time, because the relationships can't continue on. Not really.

I got really sick last night. It serious felt like child labor, but in my intestines. It was horrible. I almost cried. I can't believe I didn't. I'd sit on the toilet and honestly couldn't tell if I was peeing or pooing. All I knew was there was water GUSHING from my body, like I've never experienced before. We've been here 3 months. Honestly, I don't know how I got away with not getting it before now. Seriously though. It was so painful. My stomach- it was like LABOR PAIN. It was so intense. It was like chunks of glass were just dancing around in there. It hurt so bad! Thank goodness, I am much improved today. Miraculously. Last night, when I was dreading the possibility of feeling worse today, I was thinking, "This is when a Visiting Teacher would come in handy. Wish I had one of those." Greg made chocolate mousse with the kids and it had raw eggs in it. I was the only one to eat it that night and we are PRETTY SURE that's what got me. I didn't even think about it. I will not make that mistake again, mind you. Not again.

Scarlet decided she wants to wear panties! She's been diaperless (except at night) the last 3 days and it's gone very well! Just a couple accidents and very minor. I can't believe how few diapers I've changed. It feels freeing. She is so psyched about the whole thing and I gotta say, I've been loving it too. I haven't taught her such a big thing in a really long time. I love to watch her learn and grow. I was expecting this to be painful and not fun, but it actually has been pretty awesome! We've even gone out for playdates twice and NO accidents! I'm so impressed with her!

Brighton and I are down to just a morning feed and I'm thinking that will be gone in a week's time. It is so nice. I am liking it a lot. I can't say the same for Brighton. He has been clingy, his one nursing session has gone from 10 minutes in the morning to 40, and he's just been grumpy all around and not napping well at all. It's been a trial, but it will pass.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

You have a great attitude about the friends thing. It's nice you can look at it that way. I'm sad that she's leaving though.

That's awesome Scarlet is potty training! How nice to not have to change her diapers :)

That sickness sounds AWFUL! I am so glad you're better. Yeck.

Love you!!!!!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

haha, I remember that with Maddie. Her only feeding, morning, getting longer and longer :) haha. Potty training, I am so scared to do that, holding off as long as i can! ha! That is awesome that scarlet is doing so well!!!! She sounds like she is just catching on great! how freeing! teh friends- sounds like you have a great attitude about it all. I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to them. Hopefully you exchanged numbers with her friends? if not, you could get them from her I'm sure through email? Rebecca always talks about her christian friends through homeschool and she loves them dearly, and they have very spritual conversations. LOVE YOU.- OH MY GOSH the sickness- oh my gosh- I'm so sorry. what was it? the mousee? Ok- I've never understood how we can eat mouse- it's raw eggs- I've never understood that part?! it's always wierded me out- i can only eat it at restaraunts, bc for some reason I don't think about it- but from home- all i can think about is the eggs- ha.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I am so happy for you the girls are so cute. I am glad that Scarlet likes to wear her panties. I love it when they are ready to go potty in the big one. Helps so much. Love you Hugs