We've been having some Christmas fun over here. We made an ornament one day. Then I misplaced it for a few days, before actually hanging it on the tree.
These are our Count Down Activity Bags. I think I may do it differently next year. Maybe no bags, maybe just a cute looking list we can scratch off whatever we feel like each day- instead of it being locked down, whatever's in the bag that day. And maybe not so many activities next year. All the same, I'm glad we're doing it. Scarlet definitely gets excited each day for the bags. Though we forgot a couple times and did 3 bags one day to catch up!
I bought felt MONTHS ago and it just sat there, of course. I never actually get to the simple crafts I tell myself I'll do. Which is why I gave up before Scarlet was a year old to EVER think I would craft again, but for some reason I thought I would do the felt quiet time activities. Then one day, I think on Pinterest??? I saw a nativity scene of felt to move around and play with and I got all excited and just bust out some xmas scenes, one saturday when Greg was out on a hike. I did a Nativity that is not nearly as cute- it was way more complicated, but I stuck them in a binder for church and Scarlet definitely liked doing it! Ever since the Bole Family arrived, it's been really hard to keep the kids in their seats and quiet. They're all pretty irreverent, so I've been thinking of ways I can get Scarlet to stay put and stay quiet.
I went a little nuts and bought 12 Christmas books???? I bought a lot. But I gotta say, out of everything we've done this year- the books have been the biggest hit. Every morning Scarlet excitedly yells, "Let's go get a new book!" It was sad when we ran out. It tempts me to get even more, but I'll wait for now. I saw on pinterest a family wraps the books as presents and opens one each day for their countdown. I really liked that idea. I think I'll do it next year.
Today we had a little Christmas Party! I was pretty excited about this and the week of, was a little panicked nobody was gonna go. I started getting emails of, "Sounds really great but I have too much work, my kid is sick, my family is in town"- there were a lot of reasons why people suddenly couldn't come. But we actually had a really nice turn out. I think there were 9 kids, including mine. This was a little craft I whipped up the night before and it was a big hit. Yea!
Then we did Pin the Nose on Frosty. I wasn't sure how it was going to go, because most of the kids were really young. But some just stuck it on, without a bind fold and it worked out really well. Scarlet was pretty frightened to be blindfolded, so I let her just stick it on. Then she was freaking out and didn't want anyone to watch her. It was quiet the ordeal. She's been starting to do little things like this, here and there. I hope it's just a strange phase.
Then we decorated sugar cookies! I made the cookies with Brighton and Scarlet the day before and Tricia made frosting. I actually left the room and missed out on this one. I was sort of sad to, but one of the kids was acting absolutely CRAZY for the snowman game, SCREAMING and getting in my face the whole time I was trying to give everyone their carrots and blind folding them. It was pretty intense. He stayed for the cookies and I just had to get away from him and take a breather.
That cute girl next to Scarlet is Elizabeth. She and Scarlet are best buds. She's 6, and in school, so they don't get to see each other too much, but they seriously LOVE each other. It is so sweet.
One of my German friends made kinderpunsch! It was so sweet of her because she couldn't even stay. She just stopped by to give it to us. But nobody tried it but me! So I felt kinda bad she went to the trouble.
I was glad the party turned out to be a success. I was feeling kind of nervous about it, as it was approaching, but was all excited and prepared the night before and everything went really smooth.
Later that day we went and played in the snow. Brighton did a lot better and actually stood in the snow for awhile without crying. He feels so awkward in his boots he doesn't try to walk and just freaks out. But it did a lot better today and actually took a couple steps on his own. But I did end up holding him most of the time.
Scarlet has a blast in the snow and has no issues. I love watching her have so much fun.
The other day, Brighton had a quick fall from a chair to the ground and Scarlet goes, "Holy crap! Holy crap! Holy crap!' probably about 8 times. Greg was right there and I was totally embarrassed because we both knew who she learned it from. I felt really bad, but it could've been worse. We had a talk about how I shouldn't say that, but I mess up a lot and try not to and she should try too.
Brighton has been talking quite a bit now. It's really cute. He tries to repeat anything we tell him. He says thank you, unprompted, all the time. It blows me away. I heard him say "tankuh" to Scarlet after she handed him something. So sweet!
He throws fits now. I take something away and he freaks, cries and gets the most pouty face. He took such a nasty fall at a park yesterday. I felt really bad. He went right up to this GIANT SLIDE and started to push himself down and I decided, "Well, I'll just let him go. How bad could it go?" And it was BAD. Mid slide he flipped completely around on his stomach and his head goes, "BAM!!!!" right on the hard slide. It was so loud, it looked so frightening. I felt like a horrible mother. Though he definitely was in a lot of pain, before he was finished crying, he was trying to get down and go play on the trampoline. Mid cry! What can I say, my kids seriously are tough!
The pregnancy is going great. The sickness seems to be gone, with the exceptional moment, but I'm still quite tired. It's hard with the kids. At some point in the day I just lay down on the couch and they just whine in my face and crawl all over me. I hate it. Eventually they just go off and play, but it's hard to relax when I can't just relax on my own.
It's suddenly cold and icey outside.
Scarlet goes to sleep in our bed every night and we move her when it's time for us to go to bed. She says she's afraid in her room, but is fine in ours. We don't fight it anymore. I sort of like seeing her sweet face asleep when Greg goes to move her. I never see my kids asleep anymore.
Christmas is around the corner! It seems here on out there is something big panned for everyday until Christmas! I was feeling overwhelmed about it all, but I'm not anymore. I think everything will just flow and I was getting worked up over nothing- as usual. I've been reading my brain/exercise book and during one specific chapter on ANXIETY, I realized a LOT about myself and that I struggle with anxiety! It was weird, but helpful reading about it all. I think that's why I've been calming down about all these events and busyness that were stressing me out all month. ANYWAY. It's been good. I've been learning a lot.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!
7 comments:
Well I think I'd have to agree that you do have anxiety! And its not surprising at all coming from our gene pool. But I think you keep pretty balanced most of the time it seems.
That is really funny about Scarlet and the Holy Crap thing. You are right it could be so much worse! But it sounds like you handled it well!
I'm glad you're not too sick anymore! I feel so lucky. I mean... I feel like the majority of the evenings I feel crappy...but it's not overwhelming and I am good most of the day.
Your kids are so darling. Brighton's face in that one pic is hilarious.
You are such an awesome mom/friend for throwing that party! You are just so fun. I'm glad it turned out. You made me laugh about that boy...but I understand. Intense children make me exhausted.
I love all the christmas fun youve been having! It makes me so excited to have little ones of my own.
Love you!!!!!!!
I just caught up on all of your blogs, and I loved reading about all of your fun times. I am glad you had the Christmas party, and all of the fun times sledding in the snow. The love of the mountains, I don't know if you know this or not, but your grandpa loves, loves climbing mountains, and did a lot of it in his younger years. He always said it was good for his soul. I suffered and still do from anxiety and have for as long as I can remember. I am so happy for you that you are enjoying your Christmas season. The children are so cute. I do enjoy seeing them doing so many things that make them happy. You are such a great mom. I miss you guys so much and your blog is such fun to read. Love you guys Hugs and Kisses and Merry Christmas.
The pics are so cute!! The Holy Crap thing still makes me laugh! After I babysat tanner for the first time, when his mom and dad came home they said he was saying "crap" and wondered where it came from. Lizzie said it sometimes but he didn't start saying it until I came. Funny but humbling. Sad to say it didn't cure me. :-) I think it is so cool that Scarlet loves the snow, B will too someday. That is so sad about the slide! It is such a boy thing though about now having time to be sad! Tanner and Miles are the same way, except they won't let themselves cry they just jump up and say in this tough voice "im okay" about 1 or 2 times. Your party!!! I am so impressed!!!! That is so cool. And your bags!! Again so cool. I love the book idea also. They will think its cool to unwrap them even if they are books they have read before. It will be a mystery as to which one is next! How fun. You are such a good mom.I love and miss you sooooo much!!!
What is the elf thing I missed that somehow
oh megan! this was such a great blog! you are seriously an AMAZING mom. I can't believe all these traditions you are doing, and the crafts, the party for your kids, it is so amazing and inspriing adn all while you have 2 kids and pregnant! I can't believe you ever feel bad about yourself. You have turned into quite the craftster! I LOVE felt books and REALLY want one. do you think i coul do crafts with maddie now? or too young?you know, thinking about it, i think she'd love it. i shoul think of something. the nasty spill with brighton is so sad, but it's so funny he wanted to play while he was crying haha. you know, hearing how many kids came to your party, it's prob good the others canceled! that's alot! i love you!
oh adn the holy crap! hahaha- so funny. I said crap yesterday and maddie repeated it and it scared me, i'm like OH MY GOSH! it was our first time. and the pics are so cute.
I'm so excited for you guys...the tired part is definitely more of a challenge with multiple kids to take care of..your kids are growing so fast
Post a Comment