Saturday, February 15, 2014

DISNEYPARIS!!!!!

We did it. We went to DisneyParis! Our first big family trip. We've actually never been on one. We've never taken the kids or OURSELVES (since the kids were born) on a fun trip. Every place we've gone has simply been to see family, but this was just for FUN!!!!! It was the first time in 3 years that Greg has taken time off work to go play- ever. Every other time has been to see family or take care of me after a baby. So this was a first!

The flight went wonderfully well. We had our moments, of course- but it went pretty great. Our kids travel well. They really do. Not in the CAR- not at all. But on a PLANE- yes, much better. Especially considering it was a 13+ hour trip- more like 17 when you include driving to and from airports and then sitting there and waiting.

I'm just gonna say it. The first day stunk. Greg and I confessed (after things got MUCH better) that we were both thinking all day, "Did we really fly all the way out here for THIS?" We were just jetlagged and it was CRAZY COLD. The weather forecast was for 48 degrees which is like summer weather compared to what we've been living so I was sooooo pumped for the bearable weather. Well, it was WINDY and that changed everything. Ay ay ay- you'd get a nice blast of icy wind and it was hard to be happy. Greg convinced me to bring everyone long underwear for the trip, but I didn't think we'd need them and I didn't bring my own- so I wore Greg's. I felt bad. We were so jetlagged the first day. It affected us way more than we realized, because each day after that just got better and better. ALSO the first day- we went really early, so not only was it COLDER- there was literally ICE all over the ground. I was constantly slipping and worried about falling, which I almost did a couple times. The kids fell asleep right away and we were all excited because our hotel got us early admission but only 4 rides were open! Kind of a waste for suffering the cold! That was the only day we went early. In fact, every day after that we didn't get there until lunch time. But it was so much better. 

The kids woke up at 2 am, the first day, 3 am the second, 4 am the next, 5, 6 and so on. We FINALLY reached a bearable time the LAST DAY, and now we're trying to reverse it. We slept in 'till 11 today and yesterday it was almost noon. Poor Greg still has to go to work, so the kids and I just sleep in. I really didn't sleep well any of the nights. Brighton woke up a lot each night and every time I get up I think, "Well, I should probably go pee too" and by then I'm just AWAKE.

We stayed in one of the Disney Hotels and one of the perks is that characters roam the hotel constantly, especially at BREAKFAST. We're eating breakfast and out walks Minnie Mouse. Greg and I were so shocked, it really was magical!
The characters were so great. It was so cool to see them communicate with the kids with only actions. I was REALLY impressed. They would kiss the kids and make kissing noises. They would move their shoulders up and down and cover their mouth when laughing- so funny. After 4 or 5 days, Scarlet asked, "Why don't they talk?" We didn't know what to say. Brighton was pretty funny and too afraid to go near them, but as soon as they'd leave our table he would start calling them back and stare at them as they wandered the room. But then he'd get shy again, when they'd return. After 2 days, he was good to go and would hug them and talk to them. Minnie was the first character we saw and it was like Brighton fell in love. He had an OBSESSION afterwards and was always talking about her. Constantly. It was pretty surprising and cute.

The first lunch we had was at MCDONALDS. Shockaroo. I didn't eat there. I just couldn't do it. The happy meals came with these crazy glasses. I thought it would just be a cheap little toy, but these were really cool!

It was really hard because all the restaurants closed at 10 and wouldn't open 'till noon and then close again at 3 and not open 'till 6pm. It was pretty restrictive, especially when we usually eat around 11 and 4pm, it was hard to adjust- hence booking it to McDonald's the first day, because it WAS open.

Every morning was the same. B would just race to the stroller to go back to Disneyland when we hadn't even had breakfast yet. Every morning. So cute. And he would just sit there and wait.

More breakfast characters.


The first few days, breakfast was SO HARD. We were all jetlagged and it was most noticeable in the morning. The kids would never eat at meal times and we never had food to give them outside of it- 'cause we only ate at restaurants! It was problematic. We just let them eat cocoa puffs and crap like that. The characters ALWAYS, without fail, brought them a little container of Nutella too. The first two times I was thinking, "WHY are you giving this to my child! Chocolate in the morning? Hello!" But by day 3, I was over it.



We ate at Rainforest Cafe and it was so fun! It was covered in "wild life" and "rainforest". It was really fun. Scarlet called it the Zoo. During our meals, storms would happen and we'd hear thunder and the lights would flash. Super fun.








B wanted in on the action.

Riding the train.

Adventureland! Exploring the pirate ship!

Swiss Family Robinson Tree House

First parade. Oh man. The kids loved it.

 Does anything get better than seeing your kid this happy? I don't think so.
 Waving to the princesses.

We discovered along our trip that Brighton likes to eat butter by the cube. And he's so dang skinny, we let him!


All the food here, was presented so well and fancy. It was fun! This, for instance- is ICECREAM.

They always lit our Creme Brulee on fire. Notice Scarlet is asleep? She just fell right asleep at the table, I don't know how long it took us to notice. We thought she was just laying her head down. Then  she became this hazardous floppy doll that couldn't stop flailing around, so Greg had to literally hold her head up, as she slept.

Back to the hotel.

More characters for breakfast!

Our favorite ride, by far was It's a Small World. We all loved it and went 4 times.




More Adventureland!

Scarlet loved the "bouncy bridge" and we went up and down it several times.



Exploring pirate caves!

Brighton's favorite ride was definitely the Tea Cups. That one is DEFINITELY my least favorite ride. I had to keep closing my eyes. But he kept asking for it after we left.

Scarlet had a nasty fall waiting in line for the Tea Cups. Oh man, her nose was bleeding, just a little. It looked so much worse the next day. She still has 2 nice big scabs trying to heal up.

Oh man, the Princesses. That was our longest wait- 30 minutes. But once we made it, I literally cried! It was so amazing! It was like a dream come true. I seriously couldn't stop my eyes from welling up, listening to Scarlet and her talk. It was amazing.
We waited for days to do this because the line was always 45 minutes, way too long. Once it became 30 minutes, we thought, "Well, this might be as good as it gets," and we went for it. It was so incredible. Well worth the wait.




And then there was Princess and the Frog. I don't even know her name. Scarlet hasn't seen this one and when we walked in I could tell Scarlet was thinking, "Who are you?"

B loved EVERYTHING. He was more calm and quiet then I'd ever seen him. I think he was just amazed by everything and soaking it all in. Such a new experience. After 4 days, he started to be the excited energetic boy we know, but I think there was always so much going on, it sort of shocked him!

It was absolutely a waste of luggage space to pack pajamas because the kids always fell asleep before we could change them. Every time. Same with brushing teeth at night. Skipped a week for that one!

Breakfast time!



Eyeore in the hallway at the hotel. He couldn't get enough of Scarlet. Literally, wouldn't let her go and just kept holding her. He loved her.

Oh man, this was Mickey's Cafe. STIMULATION OVERLOAD!!!!!! We came after the parade and it was BUZZING with so many kids. It was so LOUD. There was DISNEY MUSIC, there were clips of  Disney movies playing in the background- every direction you looked- in silence, not going with the music. And every 10 seconds a new character would appear at your table. It took 20 minutes to even look through the ONE PAGE menu! It was constant distraction. It was CRAZY!!!! These were all the characters that kept coming over to us. Over and over and over.








 That probably isn't even all of them. I mean Minnie wasn't even in these pics and she was there.

Breakfast again- Minnie Mouse!



And Pluto giving Brighton doggie kisses-
I never really liked taking pics at breakfast because I was so tired and not showered or anything.


We spent a lot of moula and went to the Princess Dinner. I guess it was lunch- but it was a 3 course meal of fancy french food. The whole thing took over 2 HOURS. I don't think it was SUPPOSED to take that long- but our waiter sort of never tended to us, which extended our time greatly. I hated it actually. The princesses came to our table TWICE before he'd even come to see if we wanted water. After 30 minutes I complained and he finally showed up. Yikes. We were there so long, that the princesses started ignoring us and not coming to our table anymore. I understand, but that was hard on Scarlet just sitting around being ignored. But we got our time with them right when we got there! So after 15 minutes of amazing princess time, it was just sitting at a fancy restaurant, waiting for our food.



Cinderella was our favorite. She was so beautiful, I literally was dumbstruck when she walked over to us and I said, "You're so beautiful!" Her dress sparkled and she was just a vision. Greg loved her conversation with Scarlet the best. They talked a really long time and she told Scarlet her best friend was Snow White. So cute.



The long awaited Rapunzel- or should I say TANGLED. That's what she's referred to in our house. Tangled. Whenever the princesses ask her what her favorite princess is, she says "Tangled."

It was pretty funny, she was really talkative with the other princesses, but when Rapunzel and Flynn Ryder came she was really quiet. I was so confused, but then when they left she looked at us with this expression of, "Did you just see that?! I just talk to Tangled!!!!" And then she was so giddy and couldn't stop smiling and just kept talking about how she talked to them. It was so cute. She was just star struck.

After they left, the first time, I felt really bad, because I realized we didn't bring Brighton over to them. He has suddenly become as obsessed with them as Scarlet has been. And he just sat on my lap the whole time they were with Scarlet and I felt so bad, because I just didn't notice. Then they came back and I immediately brought Brighton to them and he was the same as Scarlet- all quiet and still. So then she asked for a kiss and he seriously gave her a 30 second kiss. It was FOREVER! It was hilarious! He must be in love with Rapunzel as well as Minnie.

Chowin' down on dessert. Greg and I's were good, but Scarlet's was amazing. Greg and I devoured it.


Parade time! Had to get the cotton candy, just to do it. It was bigger than my head.
I cannot look at this picture without laughing.

Watching Scarlet get so excited at the parade was the best feeling. She would start dancing in the stroller as soon as the music started, but before the parade actually came around.
She would just get so excited as each character came around.


When the parade finished, we always had a little dance party. Scarlet and I would dance. It was so fun. She was so sweet to watch. She would literally dance around the street until the music ended, probably 5 full minutes.

They did this DREAMS light show on the castle. It was AMAZING. It was pretty mind blowing actually. The first time we saw it, the kids were sleeping. I was so overwhelmed, I literally welled up with tears. Disneyland is just so magical to me. It's so over the top with SWEETNESS it just gets to me and makes you feel like "all your dreams will come true . . ." or whatever they sing to you. This pic was of the Hunchback of Notre Dame. He was singing a really incredible song and swinging and climbing all over the castle. It was so amazing. It was like a 20 minute show of all the Disney movie hit songs. It was so much fun. Brighton is so obsessed with Tangled too. He was never interested in the show and quickly would fall asleep on in my arms, until a full 10 minutes later- the Tangled song would start playing and IMMEDIATELY his head would shoot up and he'd say, "Tanguh!" And he'd watch and listen for the whole song. He loves it as much as Scarlet.

Waiting for our taxi back to the airport! It never came because the concierge scheduled it for the wrong TIME and WRONG DAY. Thankfully, another one came 30 minutes later and we still made it to our flight. Phew!
We had such an amazing time! We're so glad we went! It was so great to not be sick! To eat whatever we wanted! We had SO MUCH PRODUCE and SALAD and it was so amazing to eat without thinking about it! We thought the kids would have a good time, but had no idea they would have SUCH A BLAST. Especially Brighton. He was into it probably even more than Scarlet. It was great to be with Daddy and great to just have a fun family vacation. We loved it! No regrets!

We came back to SNOW, SNOW, SNOW. It was COLD, COLD, COLD.


We're still a little jetlagged and waking up after 9am every morning. I keep telling myself we need to just wake up early one morning and be done with it- but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. Plus, now I'm sick. SURPRISE. Not really. I've accepted we're going to be sick, every other week, the rest of our time here- which is a long time, and therefor a lot of sickness. It's just what our bodies are doing here, and I am no longer going to be surprised by it. It's been a rough 3 days, but today has been a lot better. Hopefully I'll be back in shape in a couple days.

The baby has been so much more active the last week. It's been fun. I'm getting really excited and all I can see is a little girl with thick, black hair- just like Scarlet. That's just what I see in my mind. Hopefully we'll know next week what we're having!!!

I had a surprise baby shower today. Greg had to tell me, 2 hours prior- otherwise I wouldn't have gone. It was pretty funny how it happened, but I'm too tired to tell. It was nice of Alina to throw one. I was very surprised.

Because of jetlag the kids have been watching Tangled, first thing every morning- even before breakfast. It's kind of funny. Even Brighton begs for it, before we leave his room. He doesn't make it through the whole movie though.

Well, I'm sure I've forgotten loads of details, but I'm tired. I will write more later. Bye!

6 comments:

Laurel Jentzsch said...

Such a fun vacation! I’m glad you guys enjoyed it!

Scarlet looks like she is on cloud nine! She just looks thrilled. I love her face when she is watching the parade. And the Princesses. She looks like she is ecstatic getting to meet all of them.

I love Scarlet’s shoes.

I’m glad Brighton enjoyed it. I was wondering if he’d get it because he’s young, but it sounds like he did! Good to know for the future :)

Good luck getting over your jet lag! I’m sure it sucks right now, but it sounds like it was worth it. It seriously sounds like an amazing vacation (except the jetlag portion). I’m so glad you guys were able to do it! Love to you all!

Danielle said...

Oh I am SO glad you guys were able to do this! It sounds just magical. I love all the pictures of Scarlet. She looks soooo happy. It's just so fun! I've decided we just HAVE to go to Disneyland when our kids are about that age. We just have to! So fun...I loved all of it. Love you!!!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Oh I love Disneyland. I am just like you, I tear up at the princess stuff the shows and sometimes the parades. I think it is the most magical place on earth. I think it is truly a Good place. I am always so happy there. That is so great that you got to see the characters so much. Also I love swiss Family Robinson and they took it away in CA a long time ago. That is so great that the kids loved it so much. It is so amazing how all little kids love Mickey and Minny and how they can comunicate w/o talking. The pics were sooooooo cute! I am so happy for you all! I'm so glad you all felt so good physically while you were there! Call me when you are up to it! love you!!!!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I love, love Scarlet's little face when she is with the princeses she just looks so glad and happy to be able to talk with them. She is so beautiful herself, and then she is so tiny that they just seem to really love her also. Such a wonderful experience for you and your children. Such a happy place, it is truly a good place and I don't see how anyone could be there and not love it. I love being there and I am always so happy there. I am so glad you guys got to go there. Brighton seems to have really loved being there so it was a great vacation for you all. I am so glad you were able to attend. I pray everyday for you guys to stay healthy. I loved all of the pictures you posted, and I loved hearing about it all. Such a fun time for your family. Love you all Hugs

AMY AND MIKEY said...

oh megan this post just made me so happy! My FAVORITE pics are of Scar with the princessess. Her face is priceless in those pics. I'm so happy for you that you were able to do this with your whole family, and i'm so glad everyone had such a good time. It is the BEST place on earth, so magical. I think the spirit is there! It' sjust so good and pure! i love it.

Hills said...

I read this a bit ago, but for some reason couldn't post a comment from my phone at the time. I love this post! It looks like so much fun to go there :) I'm glad you finally got to take a vacation with your family. It is so cool Greg took the time off to do it. Some of my best memories with my family are on vacations. There are some things in life you just can't replace; and it's those times to make stuff like this happen. Really cool!
I am pretty jealous that Scarlet got to meet a lot of the princesses. Especially Princess Aurora. She is my fave in the Disney movies. They both look like they had so much fun, and even did good sticking out the cold! I'm impressed!
So glad that you guys got back safe! We love you guys!