YEA!!!!!
We had church at home today. And it went totally great.
I was feeling really anxious about how it was all going to go- if the kids would behave, if the parents were wanting to study as much or as long as Greg and I did. I just didn't know how it was going to go.
But it went great! What a relief! The house was clean, which was nice (it was at our house) and everyone was in church clothes. We fit perfectly on our two couches. We said an opening prayer, had an opening hymn and then sang the sacrament hymn immediately after. (It was funny, because after we sang the opening hymn we all were ready to say the opening prayer- which had just been said. Next time we'll have the right order!) Greg and Tim blessed the sacrament. We were going to watch a conference talk but the internet went out!!! So we grabbed the Ensign right before church started and Greg read the First Presidency Message. Then we had a closing song and prayer. I played the piano, of course. We put B down for a nap and I taught Primary while the other adults had a Gospel Doctrine Lesson.
After that the kids ran downstairs to play and the adults talked about how it went and we decided it went great and we'd have it at our house every week (I REALLY wanted this!) and that next week on, while the kids play downstairs we'll study the Priesthood/Relief Society lesson together, the 4 of us.
Everything went so smooth and we all seemed to be on the same page and really enjoy how it all happened. I'm just so relieved and happy about it.
I'm REALLY GLAD we're adding the Relief Society/Priesthood Lesson in. We haven't had it all year and Greg and I had already said if we didn't do it together as a group, we'd do it together on our own. But you know how you always THINK you'll do something and then you decide to do it after a nap, or the kids get demanding and next thing you know you've forgotten it was ever something you decided. THIS WAY we'll do it every week TOGETHER. So unless the kids wreak havoc and have to suddenly leave, it will happen every week! I'm really excited.
Greg's making rootbeer in the kitchen Hopefully it turns out!
The kids are amazing. I just love them so much. B is just a constant flow of new words, every single day now. It's so much fun. We are just so in love with him. And of course, Scarlet too.
I forgot to mention the kids and I have been going to a little Music Class once a week with other friends. It's basically like Story Time at the Library- except I pay $10 lesson! There's a teacher and we sing songs and do little activities or she reads a book or two. We've only been twice, and to be honest the kids have been insanely shy and I've had to FORCE them into the room. But each week, they've warmed up, more and more. I absolutely love it. It's all in english and we surprisingly knew just about everyone there. I was really surprised, when we walked in the first week. The teacher is great- really expressive and unafraid to be silly and loud with the kids. I'm bummed we only started going and have to stop within a month- but I'm glad to know it's there and that we like it and hopefully we can get back to it when we return with the babe. It's just so much like the USA and I like that it's full of adults that want to do something fun and enriching with their kids. I like that kind of environment and feel I'm hardly in it.
I'm only into the beginning of my parenting book, but I really like it! It really focuses on changing OURSELVES, as parents, instead of focusing on "fixing our kids". I've heard people say things she says and I always just rolled my eyes, but the way she puts it down and explains it- it makes so much sense and I've already been focusing on changing myself and things have been so much smoother this week. One of the biggest things I've realized that I neglect and we all suffer for it is- IF YOU WANT TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR KIDS, YOU FIRST HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. I'm thinking this is my biggest problem. I've been too worried about doing things "right" or "perfect" and I get overloaded and stretched and then I am overdone and suddenly yelling at my kids, for just being kids. But if I relax and let them watch a little more tv or have a naughty treat so I can have a break to lay down, or eat something or whatever I need to rejuvenate myself, then when the tv comes off- I'm in a good place and not losing it as soon as something goes wrong. I've noticed, being pregnant, I seem to need to do this a LOT!!! A lot more than I realized I needed to. But I've really been listening to myself and as soon as I feel myself being pushed to my limit, I take a step back and "give in" to things I used to make a big deal of and say no. I don't know if this is making sense, but it has been making things a lot more peaceful around here- and it effects all of us for good. I'm not even 1/4 a way through, so I'm excited to read the rest!
5 comments:
Hurray for you!!! Church sounds great!! I love that you are going to do everything. I think we need it all. I read the sunday school and lesson RS lesson every week and month
since I can't go to those classes, it makes such a difference in my life. That class sounds really fun.
I'm so glad you are reading that book. I think the greatest gift I had when I was raisning children was that there were very FEW books on raising children. So I basically didn't feel guilty about my parenting skills, or for letting you guys watch TV or do whatever. I figured if I was a crank I coundn't be a good mom, so I made sure I did things that would save my life so you guys would be saved also!! Like putting you all to bed early, getting up early, crashing on the couch and reading a book. Love you!!!
I'm glad church went so well! I hope everything goes well for you in the future and that you get everything out of it that you want. It's always good to have other people hold you accountable for things - like with studying the Relief Society and Priesthood lessons.
I checked that book out a while ago, but never got around to reading it. I hope you like it. Man - it seems like you are always reading a new book! Good for you!
I'm so glad it all went well. You guys are so righteous and I bet you get EXTRA blessings for putting in the extra effort! I can't imagine how hard that would be. I would be so stressed about the other family too. I'm so glad you're all on the same page. Love you!!!!!!!
That's great that church went so well! I'm super impressed - our ward boundaries recently changed and I am always complaining about how few people we have now for help in Primary and callings. You've given me new perspective :)
I'm with Laurel! You're such a fast reader! That's cool. What book is it? Maybe I'd be interested. Church is really important and it sounds like it is going well. Plus, it's probably easier to focus sometimes when it's such a small group that you're in "class" with. Will you guys prepare talks on your own every once in a while? I'm just interested in how you will continue to do it. I think it's great! It's fun that Brighton is saying so many new words. Olivia is doing that right now too, and things just pop out of her mouth that we have talked about in the past, but finally she just feels like saying it without hearing it first :)
Post a Comment