Greg accidentally took a longer route on our way to the Ashu Guesthouse, but it turned out to be a really great thing because we saw a sign for Burana Tower and it was really close! So we stopped on our way! It was awesome!!!
It was so quiet, no one else was there. It was pretty.
We'd been wanting to see it all this time, but it was such a drive and to make that trip for such a short visit, we just never got around to doing it. I'm so glad we did it! I didn't go inside, because there were CRAZY STAIRS and Marius was strapped to me and I felt way too unstable. Everyone else went up and said it was really cool. There aren't any windows, so it was pretty dark inside. Greg had his flash light though. They popped out on top of the tower.
They also had these carvings, that are really old. I really liked them. They were really cool. The way they were all arranged- it was so much alike a cemetery.
I basically hate this place, until we get out in the mountains/countryside. Then suddenly it is so peaceful and beautiful. If only we could live out here and not in the city. Seriously, isn't it gorgeous?
There were petroglyphs on rocks, all lined up in rows. This was the most consistent one- the ram. They are just getting worn in the weather and people are also stealing them. It's too bad. It was neat, all the same.
Gorgeous! And seriously- I think my man's a babe.
This is a very traditional Kyrgyz hat. Men will just wear these out on the streets with normal clothes and especially for special occasions. I remember thinking these were the most ridiculous things I've ever seen and HOW could they POSSIBLY just wear them around, the way they do? But I am so used to it now. I've even come to like it! Can you believe it?!! They had a kids one, in the gift shop (that was also a yurt). Brighton loves hats and wears them all the time so we got him one. I thought he was so cute in it!
We were so glad we got to go. It was such an unexpected stop. Even though it was a simple thing, it was one of my favorite experiences here! I really love ancient and old things. I love to think about people living there and making those carvings at that time. It really excites me! I was so glad to go.
On to Ashu . . . isn't this a great picture of Pat? I just think it's so cute.
My friends kept telling me about Ashu, not saying much but always saying it was really nice and they had good food. We didn't know where to take Pat and Randy, so we decided to go for it. It's a small village, a couple hours outside of Bishkek. It was neat to see the "village life". Everyone lived in a small house and had animals. I mean EVERYONE. It was neat to see up close.
Greg pulled the kids in the sled, because we wanted to walk a lot.
Unlike Bishkek, the people were very friendly and smiley. Greg waved to everybody and they all waved back. Those mountains don't even look real, in the background, but they are!
Once we got to the end of the village, it just opened up to these glorious mountains. It was amazing! When you're really inside the mountains- it's just impossible to get over. It's so glorious- literally, and just soooo peaceful. I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, Scarlet decided to be quite a pill, so we didn't really stay out or walk around much. It was too bad.
Greg tried to find little hills to sled down, but they only did it a bit. It was SERIOUSLY COLD. I wish I knew the temperature. My face was FREEZING!!!!!! Marius just tucked away in the moby wrap and I couldn't zip my jacket anymore, because he's grown. It was chilly.
It was crazy to think of people LIVING there. It was so quiet, not much going around or people going to and fro. And to just be in the MOUNTAINS like that- constantly. And no pollution- such breathable air! In some ways, it would be very nice. But I doubt these people have much of an internet connection!!!
We passed by some horses.
This is the Ashu Guesthouse. It was so rustic and had such great character to everything! We loved it!
This is where were ate. Right behind Greg is where they would have a fire, to heat the room. It was cool.
They gave us such a spread for every meal! It was incredible! So much food! Always a few courses with bread and home made jam on the side. It was awesome.
Marius had his meal, as well . . .
This was my favorite meal- borsch and pasta noodles with meat and pumpkin and I don't know what else, but it was good! It was so nice and such a pleasant surprise to have such quality food here. We absolutely loved it!
I meant to get a great picture of the room, but somehow I lost it! We both got a room with 3 beds- all twin size. Scarlet slept with Pat and Randy, which helped a lot and we brought a pac n play for the babe. It all worked out pretty well. I mean, between Brighton and Marius- it seems like we never REALLY sleep. But we didn't sleep much WORSE, which is a major improvement from past travelings. The kids LOVED the hotel. They always do. They were just bouncing off the walls, running everywhere, having a blast. They were pretty cute. They just didn't want to walk around the village much, which was a major bummer! I hoping we come back again, in the spring, and we can get out easier (less clothing) and maybe do some hiking. I think that would be nice. Drive caught the freeway on the way back (instead of the backroads) and we shaved an HOUR off our trip! So much better! It was a pretty drive back, but once you hit the city and the pollution- BAM! It just hits you full force and I hate it. I wish we could stay in the mountains forever.
1 comment:
How very cool! I would love that. I miss traveling. I wish your dad liked to hike. We are going on a Hawaiian cruse that will go to all the Islands for our 40th anniversary this year, I'm excited about that. Thank you for sharing this, it is so nice to see where you live. I am so glad you get to get out of the city once in a while!! love you!
Post a Comment