Greg went to Singapore for the entire month of August. We were all dreading it and anxious to see how we'd handle it (to test the waters of a war zone tour for Greg), but it actually went really well. It was actually extended another week. By the end I was feeling worn out- letting things slip (like working out and staying up too late, eating poorly, etc). It made me realize if he ever did a war zone I'd have to really be strict with myself to stay happy. One of his work buddies happened to go there for a weekend so they got to hang out.
Greg worked out a lot in Singapore. It's easier when you only have yourself to worry about.
He got to see a lot of beautiful things. Singapore is an amazing city. It's clean, safe, no pollution and very family friendly.
Right at the beginning of Greg's trip little Brighton broke his arm. It was- HORRIBLE. I took him to the hospital and he had to get XRAYS and they made me turn his arm every which way and he was SCREAMING in pain. I was tearing up, trying to hold it all back- I felt HORRIBLE doing it to him. It was probably my worst mothering moment. I wasn't doing anything wrong, I've just never witnessed one of my children experiencing such pain and emotional trauma- me causing it- and them having no idea what's going on, just that I'm doing it. I just want to black out that experience. I'm positive that he has. He wore the cast for 4 weeks and I kept forgetting about it and let him play in water everyday and it got soggy and smelly and I had to keep reshaping it.
Driving in crazy Manila so close I can touch the buses beside me. And yes- if there was a passenger beside me they could touch the car on the other side too. I have gotten pretty good at this Manila driving thing- though I have had a handful of minor accidents!
Gardening and planting watermelon seeds at the side of the house.
Our little Scarlet lost her first tooth. It was loose for a good month. It seemed FOREVER to finally pull that thing out! She was very afraid and let it get so loose you could pull the whole thing completely down (where you could see UNDER the tooth) but she STILL was afraid to pull it because I said it will hurt. I had to bribe her to let her let me pull it. She said it hurt when she ate. She said she would only let me do it if I gave her her own room. She'd been begging me for MONTHS and I just kept telling her that Brighton wasn't ready to move out. After months of begging I agreed- wondering if it was a big mistake for Brighton (which it was).
After she pulled her tooth (it was right before bed) we called Daddy and showed him. Having my first child lose her tooth, learn to ride a bike and start Kindergarten all within a month's time really freaked me out with thoughts of "my baby's growing up!!!!"
Towards the end of his time there, I went to visit for the weekend and it was AWESOME!!! We'd never been away from the kids together- EVER. We left them at home with our helper, Lorna, and it went great. The first morning there we decided I needed new shoes to walk around in so we went to a Nike store and waited for it to open in a mall. We're pretty sure we heard someone throw up somewhere in the echo-y mall. We were a little worried something was seriously wrong with someone, but . . . hopefully they were ok?
We went to Chinatown and I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it. I didn't even want to go- but we spent most of the day there and we bought a lot of stuff. We bought a really cool Chess Set that had these really detailed warriors for the pieces and I've always wanted something like that. We got the kids a tea set (because I hated ours) and we got them ninja suits because they love playing ninjas and making videos with Dad. It was really fun. They had SO MANY chopsticks everywhere for sale! I really wanted some, but we didn't have a need and I hate washing chopsticks.
They had these fresh jerky shops where you'd buy it by the kilo.
Looking for food.
We went to the Hocker Center and got REALLY GOOD FOOD for $5 each. It was crowded and messy, but cheap and delicious!
Greg found this place where there are groups of old men playing Chinese Chess. They are really serious about it, tons of old guys crowded AROUND the table to see the game. So funny.
This place had 100,000 Buddhas? It was weird to see monks worshipping and such. I feel like I'm pretty open minded and accepting of other religions, but worshipping man made things? Leaving them REAL FOOD that will just rot and go to waste and then someone cleans it up because OBVIOUSLY the statue didn't eat it. I just don't get it.
A WHOLE bunch of rice as a gift for the Buddhas.
I cannot believe how much we bought at the markets. We almost didn't even go. Markets are always so full of crap and I just didn't want to go, but we did and I'm so glad because that's where we got all our stuff!
They had fresh juice everywhere.
This was a really cool museum about life in the 50's for Singaporeans. It was CRAZY. Like this was a really nice rented room for a family with 6 kids. All the rooms in the house shared the kitchen with was also the BATHROOM. Disgusting. It was crazy the conditions of living- that were considered super nice back then and NOTHING in comparison for the USA.
Here's the kitchen with everyone's pots and pans in the building and the nice little closet toilet for everyone to smell while cooking. The toilet was just a bucket under a seat with a whole in it.
Ahhh . . . another Hocker Center, but in Little India. HEAVEN!!!!! Greg got us some kind of sauce to dip this flat bread (but not flat bread) in. It was AMAZING. AMAZING!!!!! This trip was the last time I had gluten.
This was where the sales lady asked if I was pregnant. Awesome.
This was a Mosque. I put on a cover and went in, but I felt SO STRANGE and disrespectful. It was ok to go in, but men were in there worshipping and praying on their knees. I felt weird watching, so I left really quick. Then I read all this stuff about Allah and the Q'ran. It got me really interested, actually.
Another Mosque, but it was closed.
The Arab district was really cute. Sounds weird, but it reminded me of DisneyLand because everything was really beautiful.
After I left Greg found these amazing hikes and I was so jealous. I've been feeling nuts missing all the green in Manila.
Crazy tree.
This is a rad trail that is literally up high in the tree tops.
Greg did a lot of exploring on his own. This is a REALLY LONG LINE at a Hockers Center. It was for a $2 meal that has a Something Star that is a really big deal- usually given to really fancy restaurants. But it's just this old guy selling the same meal. Greg waited 1.5 hours and the last meal went to the people before him. They shared- so that was nice.
You get to see all kinds of funny and interesting things abroad!
Greg's first time in China Town.
Greg was gone 5 weeks. We're really glad to have him back.




No comments:
Post a Comment