Friday, December 14, 2007

Cooking for 1 . . . my thoughts for today

Well Greg kissed me goodbye at 4 in the morning to fly away to Florida to visit old family friends, with his father, for 6 DAYS!!!! So I woke up alone and went to an unusually long day at work and thought, "Oh I wish Greg were home making me dinner right now!" As I was speaking my thoughts to a fellow stylist she asks, "Well, what are you going to make tonight." My immediate thought was, "Nothing, I've been on my feet all day, I'm not going to stand any longer to cook!" And I thought- what am I to eat? (Greg's not in school and has been covering the dinner thing for a couple weeks.) She then laughs and says, "You should make Mac and Cheese!" And I say, "Brilliant! You just saved my life!" And I walk home to make what I had for dinner almost every night the year before I got married- and that is PASTARONI!!!!! What is the point of cooking for 1/2 an hour just to eat alone? Yeah right. This was much easier. On my walk home I'm thinking how strange it will be that when I get home I'll be alone and I didn't need to call anyone to let them know I was running so late. So after I eat a classy meal I run to my sisters to pick something up and think, "Maybe I'll just stay there a couple of hours, what's the difference?" Whenever Greg goes out of town it's like a flashback to the single life. Everything is so "as you go" whatever whenever you want. No checking, no telling or planning. Just doing. I always eat badly when Greg's away. It's so much easier to cook for 2! So next I call everyone I can think of and, oh yeah, it's Friday night- so no one picks up their phone because they're doing something. So I pick up a movie and drive home feeling kind of pathetic that I'll be home watching it just with myself. Though this email would suggest otherwise, I HAVE actually been enjoying my alone time for most the day, but I have come to decide, once again, that life is just better with Greg in it.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

oh man! Now I feel awful that I couldn't talk to you last night about the books! I had NO IDEA you were all alone! I'm so sorry. I can't believe you will be alone for 6 days! That would make me crazy. Good luck. Congrats on the Grad School! That is so amazing:) Sad for us though:( I love you!!!!

Ilene said...

Isn't nice to know that you actually DO like him around? That is what I tell myself when Dan is out of town.

By the way, the picture of my hair does look good because it was right after the last time you colored it (in June). I did get it colored this week finally because well, the last time I got it colored was in June by you! It was not a pretty sight, let me tell you.

Jill said...

AH! I know what you mean! When Wade left for a week and a half to drive across the country w/my brother, I thought "Yes! I can be single again for a whole week and a half!" Well, a single mother at least. But I could do whatever I wanted without checking with him and it was rad! But...by the end of the week, I was ready for a husband again, so the extra half of a week was torture! Isn't it strange how you miss what you don't have until...you don't have it? I'm so philosophical! Amazing.

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Wow meg I think that is your longest blog yet. I loved it! I know what you mean, when dad was at jakes, I ate soup and salad the whole time. I had soup twice in one day! yuck, but I did have a great weight loss! I watched movies also, inbetween decorating and cleaning.