Saturday, January 19, 2008

Blog Backup

So, Megan and I are still sick (it has been about a week now), but today I decided that I would figure out an easy way to backup our blog to our hard drive. We had decided that our blog serves as a good record of family history, so we have been meaning to create a backup of it for a long time. So...

I researched a bunch of different ways to do it, tried one program and decided that it was too complicated, then found one that is super easy to use (and backs up the blog extremely quickly). It even allows you to search text within each file that you create (so you can find things easily within the backup copy). The program is free, but you can only use it with Mozilla Firefox because it is a Firefox add-on. The add-on is called "Scrapbook." You can download it here. Basically, the program lets you copy any web page exactly as you would see it on the web. Since blogger allows you to display all of the posts created in, for instance, 2007, I just pulled up the 2007 posts, right clicked on the web page and selected "capture page as", then named it 2007 and selected everything that I wanted it to download (pictures, movies, etc.) Now, to view this backup copy, all I have to do is open firefox, click on my scrapbook icon (on the firefox toolbar), select 2007, and viola- there it is. I even backed it up on my external hard drive (in case my laptop were to crash). However, it was a little more difficult to figure out how to save Scrapbook files in multiple places- (extremely easy once I finally figured it out though). Now, each month I will create a backup for the previous month's posts and just throw them in the 2008 folder within my scrapbook (to do so takes mere seconds). Anyway, I thought that some of you might be interested. --Greg

P.S. My youtube videos don't show up on my backup copy yet. I know that there is probably a way to get them to work, but I was tired of fiddling around on the computer... maybe later.

5 comments:

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

THANKS!!! I will try to figure that all out!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

cool thanks

Rebecca said...

Awesome. I hope Darin will do it for me. I have a very hard time with computers, but you did give very good directions. So sorry you are so sick. Love you both!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Sounds cool and I am tired of being sick too. What a pain it is. I will never figure it out though so I will wait for Mike and Amy to come over:) Hope you both are well soon. Love you bunches. Grandma

Emily said...

Thanks for the info, that's good to know!
Get well dangit!