Monday, March 10, 2008

Newport Beach!!

A couple of weeks ago my wonderful Father calls me up to say that one of the beach rentals is open and we can have it for the weekend! We had about 5 days notice! Those 5 days were a little crazy! I am one who has to know things IN ADVANCE. I never realized this until we got married, but I can be quite uptight about things not scheduled. So during those 5 days we're calling friends and nobody can tell us they can come for sure, people won't call back right away, then I'm wondering, " What do we do about food? Oh this is turning into hassle, should we even go? And can Greg give up the study time?" Well, by day 4 I said, "Well, I've just stressed out about this so much we HAVE to go or all my time in thoughts and energy have been WASTED!!!!" So, thankfully, our new friends Justin and Kelly Aida (from the ward) were able to go! YEA! And we had a BLAST!!!!!

The first night we just settled in and stayed up talking. Greg and I got there first. I've only been to this house once before- IT IS SO HUGE!!!! It had this AMAZING HUGE shower. I felt like a movie star. The whole week I was just feeling like I was rich and how cool it would be to eventually have some huge nice house like this. And of course, the view was amazing. Well, Justin did a little research and discovered a local surf competition. So first thing in the morning we wake up to beautiful sunshine and he had to go. So the boys left early and us girls stayed behind to shower and put ourselves together.

This is Kelly and I getting lost for about 3 minutes. We just missed the turn off.

We get there and the surfers are warming up and we did a little exploring.

I kind of felt like an old lady sitting in a chair, but I was glad Kelly brought them! I'd never seen anyone surf on the Oregon Coast! I thought it was exciting. We went to Hawaii but I never really paid much attention. I honestly didn't know you could even surf the Oregon Coast until probably a few years ago. We left just in time, right before the rain.

Then it was home for lunch and then THE AQUARIUM!!!!!
I REALLY wanted to go. I've been many times before, but not in the last 13 years or so.


This was my favorite part! THE TUNNEL!!! It was AMAZING!!!! You walk in this glass tunnel and you'll watch fish and sharks swim and they're getting closer . . closer . . . and suddenly they're swimming a foot above your head. Very eerie and weird. But very cool! I just couldn't get over it. I felt like I was floating around in the water with them! The glass was there but it felt like you could just reach out and touch the fish!


I was very proud of myself here. I touched everything. Greg has brought out the "brave" in me. I even reached UNDER a rock to touch something where I couldn't see very well (scary!)
We went home for some dinner and brownies and of course I got out the fire poi. I LOVE to fire dance! I haven't been able to practice much since I've been sick. It is SO FUN!!!
Then we watched the movie Goal (very good) and went to bed. The next morning was church and then the boys just couldn't resist getting in the water one more time!

Greg skim-boarding for awhile . . .
Then Greg decided to jump in with Justin (who was surfing) and boogie-board. Justin kept saying how Greg was "hard core". He couldn't believe he went out without a wet suit on. I didn't think much of it until later that day Greg tells me he thinks he got hypothermia. Oh Greg, nothing surprises me anymore.


One more meal and then it was time to clean, clean, clean. We got in one last picture before we went home.

We stopped by to see my Dad in Yachats on the way home and boy did we score. Not only did we get to munch on chocolate, have good conversation and borrow their carpet cleaner- WE GOT TONS OF TUNA AND HALIBUT!!!! THANK YOU DAD!!!! Wow, well worth the extra bit of drive. Whenever I go home I realize I need to go there more often. I don't realize how much I miss my parents until I'm around them.

10 comments:

Emily said...

How fun for you guys! Such an awesome little vacation. Greg is NUTS to go into the water like that!

Cute pictures!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

That was an awesome blog!!!! I am so glad you posted all those pics and the whole thing, I felt like I was there! I love you!! oh by the way, I am going to Rebecca's on the 21st to go with them to disneyland. so I won't be here spring break. Dad said you are welcome to come, he would actually love it, I will be gone 12 days!!!! A little too long for anyone to be alone. You guys can come and cook fish from the freezer, dad would love it! It would be a nice change from freezer food, and eating out.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Sounds and looks like you had a blast. I am so glad that you chose to go. I think sometimes the unplanned things are fun. We just have to put our shirts on and "DO IT" as Pres. Kimball said. It isn't so hard and Grandma Evelyn taught me something once, that is don't sweat it if you forget something there are stores there and they are usually open= ) If you don't want to spend the money then make do without it. Love grandma

AMY AND MIKEY said...

That's so cool! I love the pictures- they are all so good- and you look so cute in all of them. Man- I wish we could have gone. It sounds like so much fun. I'm glad you got to go though- and talk about scoring - what friend has ever offered you a beachouse for the weekend! that's cool. the fire dancing pic was really cool. love you!

Rochelle said...

I love the pic with you guys in the sharks mouth. Are the jaws really that big? yikes! What a fun time! I'm jealous!

Jill said...

I gotta say, Greg's pretty brave to go in without a wetsuit!!! Wade used to surf on the Oregon coast whenever he possibly could (back in the day before kids!), and he took me a few times and neither of us could even imagine going in the Oregon waters without the suit! He even used to tell me that if I got cold I should pee in my wetsuit! That was a little above and beyond gross for me though.... :)

Danielle said...

How fun! Looks like you had a great stay! I have to say though, I can't imagine what dad is going to think when he sees you were fire dancing so close to the house:) I love that picture though- it's awesome. You are so cool. I love your hair by the way. You look way cute in all the pictures! This post made me miss the beach immensely. I love you!!!!

Amy said...

That sounds like sooo much fun!! YOu look amazing in all of the pictures! I love your hair.

Lizzie said...

Sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you posted. You friends "justin and kelly" ...it reminds me of the movie "from justin to kelly". do you know what I'm talking about? anyhow, cool pics and i'm so jealous that you can just go up there whenever to mom and dads and eat fish and hang out. i'm sure it's hard to get away from school and work though.

Nate said...

Heya Megan! Brooke here! (Boy... it's been ages...)

Anyway, I just wanted to mention how weird and small the world is. Nate and I know Justin and Kelly Aida from our old ward, Eugene 5th. So I was reading your blog and I was like, "Hey! Wait! I know those guys too!!"

And that's all! I was just surprised!