Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Life

I'm sitting at work eating icecream for breakfast right now. The Cole's order groceries online every 10 days or so and we've kind of run out of food. That happens sometimes. I was scouring the house for breakfast foods when I found icecream- and honestly, I'm not disappointed. Chunky Monkey. It's a first for me and it's very good. Hopefully they weren't planning on eating it when they get home because it's all gone now. Work, in general, has been going good. It really is insane watching babies grow. Things are constantly changing. Like I used to be able to leave him in a room while I run upstairs to the bathroom. Now he can climb up on the couch and up to the window sill- goodbye to freedom. Now I have to carry his heavy body with me everywhere.

It seems I'm always tired now. I think it's because we go to bed too late- no matter what we say we're going to do. Greg doesn't have to get up at a certain time so we often go to sleep after midnight, and my goal is always 11pm. He always gets to sleep 2 hours after I leave for work. I don't think he gets the importance as much as he says he does. Back in Oregon it was a reversed situation and I recall him saying, "Megan, we need to go to bed earlier." And I just couldn't. Now I see what he was saying.

Life has been really busy lately! Last saturday we got a ride with the Osorios to go to the temple. It was great. It'd been awhile. We were able to restock our garments which was way overdue for me. It was my first time going to a temple outside the U.S. I walk in and all the signs are in Dutch so I wasn't sure where to go until I asked someone- twice. In the session there were atleast 3 different lanuages- French, Dutch and English. So I wore headphones. The room was smaller but PACKED! We needed to bring in a few extra chairs! It was nice going to the temple. It was just the same.

We've found our little circle of friends. Brandice- whom we went to Paris with- we see her all the time! We love her! She's just here for an internship so she won't be here forever. But we've found some great members that are permanently here. So that will be nice that they won't go away. It's funny, we hang out with all the singles. But I guess they're the ones that are our age. Life is always more lively around single people. It's fun. Last night was someone's b-day so 10 of us went out to a Thai restaurant and it was SO GOOD!!! It was so fun just everyone together eating and talking. Greg and I rarely go out, because it's so expensive and I never understood before why people went out all the time. IT IS FUN!!! I understand now! Since it was Tristan's birthday we sang LOUDLY Happy Birthday and afterwards someone at the table was really embarrassed saying we broke lots of rules and were being typical "loud" Americans. I said I didn't care and that I was American. But then I was a little concerned we disrupted everyone else's dinner. But then after we finished suddenly the lights turned off and there was loud music and the waiter brought out this dessert with a sparkler on it! And the song was a Happy Birthday Song! It was awesome! So then I wasn't worried anymore.

Every week we go to French class- that has been really nice. We went to FHE this week and it was really nice! Wednesday's Greg plays basketball at the church and this Friday is a BALL!!!! I'm excited! I've been really needing to dance lately. I'm really curious if lots of people will be there and what kind of music will be played. And we just bought Ballet Tickets for Saturday- which happens to be Valentine's Day. I wish I had a red dress to wear. It's the Russians- I guess they're the best. So we're really excited for that!

It is crazy here. All these friends we've found are basically single men- that are all good looking and have it all together- but there are no women for them! I feel so terrible for them! The only girls that are here only stay for a 3 month internship. Every night we get together Greg and I always say, "Oh, I wish I had a girl to set so and so up with!" I never realized how hard it is out of the U.S. We were spoiled. Everyone keeps asking if we have a Facebook and when we respond with, "No, we have a blog." They look at us like we're the biggest weirdos. And then they're like, "Don't you want to keep in touch with people?" And I respond with that's why we're doing it and they just continue to look at us like we're old fogies. People don't get it. I hate all those facebooks and myspaces. It's just like your cell phone, but on a computer instead. What's the point? And there's always blinking advertisements flashing away all over the place. I like our wholesome little blog.

Greg is the French master these days- no surprise. His French class teacher (he goes to a one on one class because the rest of us are beginners) always raves about him afterwards. In church he never wears the head phones for translation. He went to some activity and I guess for a hour or so was speaking French the entire time with all kinds of people. Starting this Sunday he's going to attend the french speaking Gospel Doctrine class. I think he MIGHT be starting to realize how good he is. I'm always telling him but he never gets it. Wherever we go, he's ALWAYS able to communicate in French. And really naturally too. He never pauses or asks people to repeat things. He always replies instantly. He doesn't get that it's hard for everybody else. Though I'm NO WHERE NEAR Greg's capability. I'm slowly progressing, as well. Someone called on our phone and was only speaking french. After many words I figured out he was the internet guy and wanted to know if I was at home. Once I realized that I was able to say I wasn't, but that my husband was. If a french speaker heard- I'm sure it would've hurt their ears- BUT STILL! COMMUNICATION!!! I was really proud of myself. I often think, "Is this little bit of French I know ever going to come in handy?" But it did! It was a small accomplishment- but it got me VERY excited and motivated to continue studying!

Poor Greg has a talk and is teaching Elder's Quorum this Sunday. And then we were asked to speak about Finding Your Eternal Companion at Institute this Friday. So I'll just prepare the lesson and he'll just join in.

Oh I'm tired. I can never decide whether to nap or actually work in the morning. It's always a hard decision. Today's a half day so maybe I'll just nap at home.

7 comments:

Your best friend, Ashley said...

i am so jealous of your french skills!

and your ice cream...

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Well, greg is in the right profession, he takes to languages so quickly! That does such for those single guys- yowsa. That is funny that you hang out with them, but who else are you going ot hang out with? I'm glad you're learning a little bit more of french. That is funny you ate their icecream! I'm sorry you're tired all the time. I love you-

Rochelle said...

I bet you can french kiss well! hahaha...I'm getting lots of pressure to join facebook...I hate following the crowd though...goes against my inner grain. I love your blog and mine too! It's fun!Hey did you know that Greg has an entire familial line that is French? I have all their baptism, marriage, death records...in french! So you guys can translate for me someday...yahoo!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Megan, I miss you so much! I am sorry that you are tired all of the time. Take some vitimins. I started to take some about 3 months ago and I feel so much better, I can't believe it. Maybe you have iron poor blood. I have a lot more energy, but you have to be diligent and take them everyday. I am glad you are taking to the french language. I think it is so hard to speak anything other than english. Sorry you had to eat ice cream for breakfast, what did you have for lunch? Love hugs and kisses grams

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Oh Megan I miss you! I loved your blog. I am reminded that you are a great writer. I am always amazed at the blogs my girls write. I think it comes from your dad. I am glad, that is a real asset. I'm a good speaker and communicator if I am talking, but the written word is not my forte. I am glad you have friends, I'm glad you are having great experiences, I'm glad you are happy, and I think it's great you are learning French! What a life you are having. I am so happy for you! I love you!!!

fiona said...

We have the opposite prob here in Uruguay -- so many single women in our ward, who are just amazing and beautiful! It's so frustrating!! We need to get your guy friends and our girl friends together...hmmm, could be a tad difficult...

How fun to go to a Russian ballet! Sounds terrific. Have a great time, and tell us all about it, of course!

Lizzie said...

You guys are so cute. I'm glad you have your lively single friends. Dinner sounded so fun.

It's a bummer when the babies get so big that you have to carry them around with you because you can't leave them alone anymore. I bet you're going to miss him when you move. Love you.