Saturday, September 19, 2009

Does Anyone Else Have This Problem?

I am frustrated!!!! Where the heck to women shop? I am cheap and limited to clearance racks and Ross. I go to the Women's sections and just don't find it appealing at all, so I go to the teen section and immediately feel more comfortable . . . until I actually try something on and everything is TOO TIGHT and TOO REVEALING. ARGH!!! What am I to do?! Does anyone else have this problem? Do I just have problems? Is this just my situation 'till I have $$$ to shop at more sophisticated places??? Is there a solution? I'm awaiting the comments of "Sorry Megs, I feel your pain." and having no solution at all.

And I'm just gonna say it. I feel like a loser. The last 8 years I have been supporting myself (and my husband) no problem and have had some pride in that. I know, I know, pride is bad. But since we've been here, the hair thing isn't an option, so I'm left with a High School Diploma. What does that get me, a minimum wage job??? Woohoo. I go from feeling so on top and accomplished to having absolutely NOTHING to offer. Getting a job has never been a longer, more frustrating process. I was pumped because I applied to Harry and David and then got called in to take a test. After I passed I was told they'll call me in for an interview in LATE OCTOBER!!!!! I was ALSO pumped about working at Walmart but the stupid manager won't return my phone calls!!!! I have no idea if they're even hiring. I've just never had problems getting a job before. It makes me start to wonder if I'm doing something to turn people off. I look at the classifieds, but I'm not qualified for anything! I don't have computer skills. I have NOTHING to offer. I have hair skills, which applies to nothing else. Sigh. What an uplifting post this is.

Greg's family is out of town, it's nice to be alone. We made this incredible Indian Soup and Indian Flat Bread. Mmm . . . it was so good. I love good food. When I'm eating good food, my soul comes alive. I think eating good food is as important as everything else. It enriches my life as much as my scriptures! I'm not kidding. Alright, I'm gonna go. You can just ignore my pity party, but seriously, women . . . where do you shop? Any tips?

17 comments:

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Oh Meg, I am so sorry about the job thing.

As for clothes, try the nicer stores sales racks. They are hip and made for women. They might cost a little more, but they also last longer. Oh have you tried Target? Probably a dumb question, they don't fit as good as Banana republic, but they look a lot like them. I know you know you're a good hair person, but I get more compliments when you do my hair than anyone else! Soon Greg will get a job and this nightmare will be over!!! Love you!!!

Emily said...

I love good food too. I don't think I'm as daring as you, in that i don't always try new things, but oh man...I love to eat.

Okay, so the shopping thing. Sometimes I still go for the cheap stuff, but really, I'm starting to learn that sometimes it's worth it to spend a little more and get a piece of clothing that fits better and lasts longer. I shop at target a lot...just got 3 shirts for like 3 dollars each. Here I love H&M, and I still love Shade...their clothes are spendy but just fit so well, it's worth it to me. Shopping is such a nightmare.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

sounds like you need to hit value village. - i'm sorry about teh job- I got your messages and email- thaqnkyou- I need to go eat- I love you-

HeidiT said...

I get most my clothes at Target or Ross. I've found that Ross is truly the best deal, name brands without the price- ours here usually has Express,Roxy,etc.
Even though the nicer name brand stores might be considered higher quality then say Target I have found that I tend to like to swap out my clothes more often, so I can't justify spending $$$ on something I'll only wear one season because I'm on to the next look the next year. But I know Kristi manages to get the cutest clothes at garage sales too!
Totally here ya on the good food thing! A good meal can fix anything.

Your best friend, Ashley said...

http://www.shopruche.com/index.php

try it and love it. it isn't as cheap as the target clearance rack but it doesn't bust the wallet.

you could solve both problems by just getting a job at nordstrom's or something. then you get a discount on clothes and a job!plus- they always like people who have style, and your post high school education was all about style!!!

if nothing else, i think you are fabulous.

Kristi M. said...

I remember being in that spot where I would try to fit into junior type clothes because I thought that they looked more my age to only realize they were mostly too short. After having Gunnar, I had a huge wake up call because I couldn't fit into that stuff anymore for a while. I have learned that there are really cute things in the womens sections you just have to know where to go. Like Heidi said I have found so many cute things at garage sales. That includes a pair of Gap pants that I bought for $1 that everyone makes comments on. I was at a yard sale and the lady having it commented on my pants. I had to tell you that I bought them at another yard sale. Thrift stores also have great things if you are willing to put in the time of looking. I also love to shop Kohls (if you have it) in their clearance section. Keep your eyes out for great coupons. I also love Old Navy clearance, Target clearance, Ross. I found one of my favorite, cutest shirts at Kmart by total accident. I bought the black and cream version and also get TONS of compliments on them. That was a crazy accident. I don't think that spending a ton of money is necessary on great looking things. I love Gap jeans and know that they are the only brand that really fit me well and that I can buy without trying on. I bought several pair from Ebay knowing that they would fit well. It did not cost a lot at all. I have actually bought many different things from Ebay and been happy with the price and transaction. I hope that some of this helps.

Lindy and Bryce Ellsworth said...

I love Target! Oh if you have a Plato's Closet thrift store, it's honestly the best! I love it! Do miss being over seas? We miss you all in Eugene! Hope life is treating you great! Good luck with the whole job hunting thing too!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Megs, Target is good, but I thinki your thrift store would be better and last longer. I sometimes get cotten sweaters and tees at Shop-ko of all places. They are always having sales. This week all of the tees and sweaters are on sale, and your friend is right Kohl'sis pretty good with sales. Penn'y is good also when they are having a sale, and they carry some name brands and I only shop at the clearance rack. You can also get good prices at some of the bigger name stores when they are having sales. Penny's have coupons of sales in the Sun paper. Or on line. As for the job, pray hard, and then look on line and the paper and the empl office, and if you are meant to get a job you will. Sometimes some things are hard to try our faith or for patience. I understand, as grandpa and I have been in your position a few times, but we came out of it and you will also. Just remember that you love the Lord and he will direct your path. I love you grams come and see us if you lived here my shop would hire you and you could do what you love HAIR. We are losing a couple of our people, and could use a good styliest. Hugs grams

heidi and Doug said...

jc pennies for pants jrs section .and modbod.com for shirts modest not reavealing plain t shirts and nice clothing

Jenni said...

Oh my gosh I totally feel your pain, Job hunting is THE WORST thing on the planet! Worse then clothes hunting! I know you'll find a job, it's just so discouraging right now when it's tough to find them. But I knowwww you'll find one!

I'm a bad person for shopping advice because I'm such a cheap-o! And i haven't gone shopping in a long time. I wish I knew. so sorry!

Jill said...

Why isn't hair an option? Sorry to be nosy ;o) And everyone else has said the same stuff as I would as far as clothes shopping goes! Old Navy, Target, and Ross are pretty much the only places I go unless I've got a gift card!

Megan and Greg said...

In response to Jill, the hair thing isn't possible because it takes 6+ months to build up a clientele to actually make $ and we're hoping to be gone before then. So putting in time and $ to start up my own business again would just be a waste. So that just leaves the supercuts places, which would be busting my butt for minimum wage- which is fine, but I'd rather do something that wasn't so hard on my body. No worries, Jill. I don't mind nosiness!

Steven and Julie said...

Hi, my name is Julie (Meloy) Stanley. This is going to sound rediculous, because you don't know me and I don't really know you. But I went to Springfield High School and I found your blog from Courtenay Mitchell's blog and reading about your Sister Amy's cancer(long story), regardless- I feel the need to post a comment here. I have two gigantic sacks full of clothes- hardly worn in various sizes ranging 6-8. I've been meaning to take them to a consignment shop because they are too nice to just donate or give away. My proposal is this- contact me and we can meet up, you can browse and make me an offer on anything you'd like. I live in the Portland area. You can email me at meloyj@gmail.com if this interests you. I too have had this problem and there's no good way around it besides keep looking. Good luck!

alex poling said...

In regards to job hunting, it's a really cruddy time to be looking right now. People with graduate degrees are applying for the same types of jobs as everyone else and employers can take advantage of that.

As much as minimum wage jobs suck, you might still look into getting one. At the very least it will give you a way to earn some cash while you're looking for something better.

Joe and Debbie said...

Megan - they are hiring at Sally's on Mohawk. If you speak Spanish come apply at my work State Farm Ins 212 Q St.

Kristi M. said...

The recipe name was a hyperlink that apperantly never showed up in a different color. I changed it and now you can see where the link is. This recipe is so incredibly good. Worth a try even if it does have the eggplant in it. At least make the sauce and dip bread or cheese into it. So good.

Jill said...

Hi Megan! I don't have your email address to invite you to my blog! Can you send it to me? Thanks!

jillmkoehler@yahoo.com