Thursday, October 15, 2009

Sea World and the Zoo

Sea World was AWESOME!!!! Do you see the man standing ON TOP of a whale?!!! The shows were incredible.
The San Diego Zoo probably would've been cooler if it wasn't so dang hot. It was also our last day and we were all just so exhausted. We loved the monkeys. One was seriously fingering through his poop for the longest time, so serious, and one just played and rolled around constantly! We got a good kick out of him. The polar bears were really cool too. They played with a ball in the water for a really long time. It was great.



How cute is this?
At our last hotel, after we came back from the hot tub, I look down and see this:
2 WHOLE DIAMOND MISSING IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE!!!!! I was mortified! I never realized something so beautiful could turn so ugly so fast. I was pretty upset and started crying. I was 99% sure it happened in the hot tub, because even now, 4 years later, I am always looking at my ring, and just couldn't believe I wouldn't have noticed it earlier. Greg and I went and talked to the maintenance man and he let us look in the pool. It was a long shot but look!!!!

He found one! Do you SEE how small this diamond is? It's just another testament to how incredible my man is. He is like Superman with xray vision. And he found it within 30 seconds! It was immediate! We're pretty sure the other one got knocked down the drain. But my sweet husband kept looking with a flashlight and a snorkel. The maintenance guy was really sweet too and helped us look. I felt SO much better after we found the one. Unfortunate events took place almost everyday! Greg and I got silly and started dancing right as we're entering Disneyland and somehow Greg elbows me, full force, right in the face. It hurt a lot. Hmm . . . what else? My sandal BROKE at Sea World. So I was forced to walk on the unbearably hot cement for awhile. My feet were sort of burning on the underside and I felt sort of like an idiot walking barefoot in such a public place. I put off buying shoes, assuming I'd have to pay $30 for a pair with Shamu on it, but when I got desperate we found some Roxy sandals for only $15. I could never forget one unfortunate morning in a beautiful bathroom hotel where I was especially tired. I was getting ready for the day and bent down to smack my face right on the counter. I jerk up and notice in my reflection that I am BLEEDING THROUGH MY LIP. My teeth had somehow cut through. We grabbed some ice and somehow you couldn't tell after it was done bleeding. I really do amaze myself at the varied ways I injure myself. I am pretty sure that's everything that happened. Pretty crazy.

As for the latest, there's not too much to report on. I was kind of at my wits end, not living in my own place and literally beginning to lose my mind, but my husband gave me a blessing and the last few days have been sooooo much better. It's pretty amazing what blessings Heavenly Father can give you. Neither of us have any leads on a job. How sad is that? I think both of us are completely qualified for what we're applying to, but I guess there's just too much competition. At least that's what I'm thinking. We're literally sitting ducks right now. We're really glad Pat and Randy are letting us stay with them or our savings would definitely have been spent by now, as we're on month 3 of being unemployed. We still have hope and we're branching out a little more- as in Greg is going to apply to the Police Force and Fire Force/Station? That was sort of forbidden before. Forbidden by me. We've had this rule since we got married- Greg cannot work anywhere he has to carry a gun or anywhere dangerous, in general. Well, we'll see what happens. But he can't even apply to these places yet- he has to wait for an email to alert him of when he CAN apply. This government stuff can be such a pain! Why all this waiting?! Aren't we waiting enough? I know, I know. Our lives could be soooo much worse. Back to the police thing. He looked up stats on how many policeman actually die, and it was practically nothing. So . . . I can deal with that. I thought it was a lot worse. I'm not so excited about Greg ENTERING a building lit up in flames, but we're sort of running out of options/time, and it wouldn't be forever.

I've been watching My So Called Life on Hulu. What a flashback. I love the internet. Such a wonderful and terrible thing. I don't think there's anything harder to balance in life. Meaning watching only 1 episode a day versus 5. That is just too much life to waste. But oh how I waste it. I finally got off my buns and looked up a battered women's shelter to hopefully volunteer at. I don't know if I ever mentioned that, but I worked at one in Eugene. I'm really hoping they'll let me help there. In Eugene I had to go through a month long training program before I could ACTUALLY volunteer. I've just been so blessed in my life and so many people need help. What good is my life if I'm not helping others? Especially since I have all the time in the world right now.

Lately Greg and I have sooooo been wanting to live abroad again. When we first got back I didn't really care either way. But now, with Greg looking at jobs, we think, "What if that was it? What if we can't get a job abroad and we just have to be here?" It got us so sad! But, I have hope. I think if we're always looking for the opportunity, it will come. I'm not so worried anymore. I just wouldn't want to miss out on the world. Heavenly Father created this beautiful world with so many people! How wonderful to see it all and know it all! It just seems so pointless, to me, to only know what's around you. I just feel like I'll know God better, the more I know his world and people. I guess that's where my desire comes from.

Well I hope all is well!

14 comments:

Emily said...

I can't believe that about your ring! I would have cried too, for sure.
I am dying now to go to one of those fun places...it all looks so magical!

Being a cop seems scary to me too, I don't think I would want Steve doing it either. Good thing you did your research!

Love you!

Kristi M. said...

I am always so paranoid about the diamonds in my ring. I can't believe one was found. I always take my rings off for the pools, shower, dishes, hard manual work.

With Jeff and I both criminal justice majors, I guess the police thing never bothered me.It really is pretty harmless. What about probation or something like that in your area. Vounteering looks like a great way to pass the time. also a great way to network. After all that is how I got all of my jobs. You never know who you will start talking to.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OK- why didn't you mention this at the beachouse! I am so sad for you for your ring- I'm glad you found one- you can just get CZ for the missing one. Do you guyts have insurance or something on it? That sea world pic is so cool with the man on it! - love you- amy

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Great blogs!!! the pics were great, Pat looks so young!!! The trip looked so fun! I love your new opening pic. I am so glad you found one of your diamonds. You need constantly check your prongs to make sure they aren't wearing out. I have had to have mine built up several times. The trip to Em's looked so fun! I am so glad you got to do that. I have always wanted to go to all the casinos, dad won't do it, it feels evil to him. I am excited for you to come, could you do my hair, my gray hair is coming through!!!! aaahhhhhhhhhggggggg!! I love you!!!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I can't believe you lost a diamond. How sad is that? I love the blogs, and am only going to comment on this one. I think you had a good time, or it looks like you did. The in-laws and outlaws sound WILD and no wonder you were tired, I would have died literly. I am proud of you for all of the endurance. In this case the good outweighs the negitive. I know it is hard Megan and you will remember the good times and how much fun you've had. Greg will get a job and so will you and I know it will be what you need. May God continue to bless you. Hugs grams

Lizzie said...

Wow, you wrote so much!!! I just finished reading all of your California posts. I had no idea about all that bad stuff that happened to you...your lip, your shoe, banging your head, etc. Wow.

I think it's so cool that you and Greg have been able to live abroad already before you've settle down and gotten into a rut. Now you know how much you love it and will find opportunities to do it your whole life. I love you.

HeidiT said...

Looks like the trip was lots of fun. I can't believe you found one of the diamonds! Good luck on the job hunt, I think the volunteering is a good idea - it will give you something to focus on so you don't get bored.

Our Pratt Pack said...

What a crazy time... and I feel your pain with the job thing we've been living out of suitcases since sept 1st and just found out todd didn't pass the bar and we still hav eno job prospects.

fiona said...

How fun! What an awesome family vacation -- Sea World, Disney, Universal Studios... I can't believe the ring thing, either, bummer! Amazing that Greg found one of the diamonds though. And that turkey leg Ethan is eating is HUGE, I haven't had/seen one in forever. Maybe b/c I haven't been to a park in forever... I love amusement park food.

Lindy and Bryce Ellsworth said...

Wow! I can't believe you found one of the diamonds. That is awesome! The trip you went on looks like you had a blast! We miss hanging out with you guys in Eugene. We hope to visit soon and when we do we hope to see you guys. Hope you have a great week!

Jill said...

Poor Megan! I'm always scared that a diamond will get lost, too, always stressing about it! And all of your funny little injuries--believe me, I'm just as bad if not worst! The bending down and cracking your face on the sink? At least once every other week or so. You'd think I'd learn. I don't. :) I feel for you!

I also had this fear of marrying someone who had a "dangerous" job. I won't lie--I think a lot of cops are sexy, I didn't want to have to worry all the time. I marry Wade, who's job has nothing to do with danger.

Then all of the sudden, 3 years into marriage, he decides nothing will make him happier than being a Trooper!!! But, after talking about it for a few months, I knew it would make him happy and i knew he was absolutely MISERABLE working as a DHS intake worker. Now he is so incredibly happy, he comes home happy, he's almost always in a good mood (which totally helps alleviate the arguing and bickering!), and I love seeing him so excited about what he's doing! And, still sexy in that uniform. I love the uniform. So much. :o) he he!

Anyway! Things will work out for you soon enough, I think you're doing everything right! :) Just hold on!

Jenni said...

I am 100% positive taht I would have a coronary heart attack if one of my diamonds went missing. HOLY CRAP MEGAN! I'm so sorry! THANK HEAVENS greg could find one! I can't imagine!!!!

I've never been to Sea WOrld and always wanted to! I love the pictures!!!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

I am SO JEALOUS of your Disneyland/CA trip!! FUN! I'll have to go back and read the other posts later, but I did skim the pictures. :)
And that sucks about your ring! I had something similar happen to mine and I did cry. I somehow bent a prong way back on the main stone and was freaked I would lose it. I was 8+ months prego at the time and super emotional. I also found out that day that I would probably have to have a c-section and I was a wreck! So I feel your pain. Good luck on the job hunt!

Saunders Family said...

We miss you guys so much Sounds like you had a fun Vacation...Sorry about your ring I lost one of mine9I was in tears) at the lake even My superman couldn't find that one.. Good Job Greg!!! Come visit us soon!!