Greg has passed the psych exam and will finish up his medical stuff soon. Assuming everything goes okay with that, then he has the job and will most likely start the police academy in June. It's possible there will be an academy at a sooner date! It's not decided yet- but we are really hoping for it! Feel free to add that to your prayers if you can remember!
As for him getting a job in the meantime, what a hopeless pursuit. It's so terrible out there! Terribly depressing! It has been a complete wake up call the last month. You hear about it, you read about it, you know people experiencing it- but until it's you, you just had no idea what was really going on. And it's terrible. Greg looks at the classifieds and craigslist everyday to find almost nothing that doesn't require experience and if he IS qualified- it's sending in a resume and never hearing back again. So we finally just drove around to all the fast food places to find that McDonald's has so many people coming in that they can't keep their applications stocked, so they didn't even have one for Greg. Some of place's applications don't even go through a manager, they go straight to corporate somebody, so there's no one to call or check in with, so your just the one in the thousands. One place he grabbed an application to see all the filled out ones in a giant stack on the same counter. It is HOPELESS!!! You HAVE to know somebody! And when the competition is that steep, why would somebody hire Greg 'till only June, when everyone else would be willing to stay much longer? This situation SUCKS and I feel SO BAD for everybody in it. I had no idea it was so bad, even though everyone says it is. It's really hard to shake the thought, "What's the point of even trying?" And when you have nothing to do and nowhere to go, it gets harder and harder to keep your drive and you sink lower and lower into depression until you just want to get in the fetal position and cry. This is where I would say, "Ok, I'm exaggerating," but I'm not. I have felt this way even though I DO have a job! As much as I hate everything concerning this topic right now, I just feel bad for everyone else. Atleast we have a place to live and people that are willing to feed us. Atleast we don't have kids to support and worry about. As often as I feel it couldn't get any worse, I know that's not true.
Other than that . . . has anyone else been COMPLETELY disappointed in LOST? I have been. I don't even have a desire to continue watching, which is SOOOO disappointing. I have loved LOST. Every season got better and better. I don't know what's happening now, but I don't like it. Why are they adding in so many new characters? I'm so annoyed. And they've just been on the island this WHOLE time and no one noticed? I'm so annoyed how nobody tells anyone anything. And everything looks like a set now. So fake. It didn't used to be that way. Well, that's it, I suppose.
Everyone's watching the Olympics. I just don't really care. I love the figure skating, but everything else is BORING. That's how I feel about the summer as well, I only like the gymnastics. Skating, skiing, swimming, it's the same motion in 30 second to 3 minute intervals over and over and over. It's not exciting. I might be the only one on the planet that feels this way. I think that's about it. Our life in a nutshell.
9 comments:
I'm sorry things are so depressing right now. I hate the unemployed feeling. I can remember the feelings so well. Of wanting a job so bad and being willing to work, doing anything, if you could just get a job. But, thank goodness whenever that happened to me it was only 2-3 weeks of it, not months. So sorry.
Hopefully the fliers work out. Shad looks at those every week in the mail.
Love you so much. Lizzie
Hang in there, it will get better!
I'm so sorry. I swear, you should all move to Idaho because I'm tellin you- it doesn't appear to be that way! At least not quite as bad as what I'm hearin. Anyway...I'm so sorry. That would be really depressing. I was actually very dissapointed in last weeks LOST episode. I loved the first episode of the season, but the next one was kinda pointless. Hopefully they pick it up!
Oh- the fliers- I totally know what you're talking about. I always look at those. I hope it works for you...too bad your old clientele is so far away.
Well- I love you so much! And miss you! I'm sorry it's been so hard. I KNOW it will get better. We will be praying for you guys.
hey megan, I just called you- feel your pain- love you-
Megan I am sorry that you are so depressed. Things get really hard sometimes, and we just have to endure. I think that the flyer thing sounds great. We do that somethime in our shop and it works. So do try it. There are jobs in our paper, although I haven't scouted them out. Maybe you could both come up here until Greg goes to the police acadamy. Hang in there babe, I love you grams
I was just in a marketing meeting last week at work where we were talking about how we did something similar to the valupak fliers and it brought in a bunch of new business. It's definitly worth a try at least once. Hang in there!
So sorry about the unemployed thing. About 2 years ago, we were in a similar position for 3 months. The construction field came to a complete halt right after Christmas. It was hard and there were times where we didn't have some foods in our house (precoupon days), money was tight and we were depressed. Jeff signed up with a temp agency just to get out and do something. He was going insane. It helped even if it was for $30 that day. I believe it kept his mind going for when that job popped up and he needed to interview. The valupak thing is a great idea. I always look through those when I get them in the mail. Totally worth the shot and 4 months is a great amount of time to see if it is worth doing again. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. It would also be considered a business expense.I would love to know how it works out. Hang in there.
This is from Rebecca, forgot to sign in before I started. I'm so sorry about everything you said. For the record though, it was a very good post. A needed post. For those of us with a job, (or who have an ex with a job), it's tough to completely understand the unemployment issues. I mean, I hear about it, and read about it, and assume it's all true, but until someone I love describes it in detail, it's still just an "idea". Your post made it so much more real for me, and I understand it so much better. To let you know, you guys, along with the Winegardeners, and our neighbors have been in all our prayers for a while now. The kid's prayers too. I love you guys. Tons and tons, and this won't last forever. Nothing lasts forever, thank goodness.
whew! that was a long one. Just for the record, wanting to work more than two cuts a week says you are a person that understands the value of work and to want to work more means you are a go getter, ambitious, that you detest slothfulness. I think those are all great things. I think wishing you had more work is admirable and a good thing, it doesn't mean you are ungrateful or thoughtless of others! love you!
Post a Comment