Friday, February 10, 2012

I am so grateful for used clothing stores! I just spent $105 on new clothes for Scarlet. Once we move she's gonna need the next size up and I don't want to think about it then. So I went shopping at Kid2Kid, the best place on earth and before I knew it I'd spent over $100! I couldn't believe it! I'd NEVER spent that much on her, at once, before! As the clothes were piling up and I saw that the price tags were bigger than her previous clothing I thought, "Oh man! This is getting expensive!" And I started to wonder, how much money am I even saving? I'm saving at least half, right? But am I? So I get online, when I should be sleeping and OH MAN did I save money. I just got on Target.com- pretty reasonable place and I clearly was paying 1/3 of the price of what I would've paid brand new. And honestly, half the time it was a 1/3 of the price of the clearance section. CRAZY!!!! Why is everything so expensive!?! How are people doing it? How do people buy things new? I secretly am happy that people are even vainer than I am and only having one kid and I just REAP the rewards of their hardly used clothing. But seriously! I'm amazed. So that made me feel a million times better. I was hoping I saved $5o, but honestly probably saved $200. CRAZY. And I was worried there wouldn't be a Kid2Kid in Virginia, but there will be one 20 minutes away- YES!!! Hopefully it's as good as this one.

Things are good. Our moving arrangements are probably going to be solidified next week. Big sigh. I was starting to wonder if it would EVER get settled. It is coming SO FAST. It is a wild feeling and we are both so excited. It's starting to settle in how far away from family we will be. I mean, forget about the possibility of a long drive. More like the possibility of a long flight. I'm glad we're having a baby, that will get us at least one long visit from each grandma and hopefully more. But we'll see.

I've realized again, how much I like change. I really do. I've always been quick to clear out my closets or rearrange the furniture (not as much since I've been married). It seems I have this pattern of immediate FREAK OUT when change is mentioned, then it settles in and I work it all out in my head and then I just can't wait!!! I think change is refreshing. I think it's easier because Greg and I really do make friends, easily. Otherwise, I think it would be rather stressful. But that's the last thing on my mind. I know we'll make friends, that's the least of my worries. I can't count how many friends have come and gone in the last few years because we've lived so many places. It's just not hard for us to make friends. And it's weird, even the ones we only had dinner with a couple times- we remember them all and still wonder, time to time, how they are doing. And it's weird, the friends we've made here, we wonder if we'll stay in touch. Of course you always mean to, but realistically how many of us keep in touch with more than family and those select old friends? It makes me a little sad, but I'm starting to feel like friends are just, "to everything- turn, turn, turn, to every season- turn turn turn" however that song goes. And I've decided I'm fine with that. With the move, and conversations we've had with friends about it, we've realized most people have a hard time making friends. It makes me sad. Friends are so important! This last move, it took us longer than ever to make friends, but looking back, it was definitely a situational thing. Greg's schedule made it impossible to get together with people, we had a brand new baby and I sort of turned a little crazy for awhile. I suppose crazy is an extreme word. "Extremely overwhelmed with every aspect of my life" is more accurate and specific. But all these things made connections and get togethers with friends nonexistent for way too long. I don't think that will happen again, at least if it DOES, it will definitely feel/be less extreme.

I'm so excited about Scarlet's new clothes. I just love cute clothes and I love feeling cute. It's the best!

I do have pics and videos coming, but I'm tired.

I can't believe how well my pregnancy is going. I'm so spoiled. Why does everyone else's suck so much? It seems so unfair. It makes me hopefully that they'll all be this way. Granted, this one is definitely more difficult than the last, so I expect it will continue downward like everyone else I know. But even still, it's been quite a breeze. I forget I'm pregnant, half the time. I'm definitely aware when I'm getting dressed as nothing fits the way it used to. Which, by the way- they need to make pregnant clothes for people that are barely pregnant! It's so annoying! I was all pumped to buy maternity clothes but they look stupid! I'm not big enough yet! But my normal clothes get too short on my stomach and it just looks a little dumb, sometimes. Oh well. I know I'm just being picky and vain. I just like to look good and am frustrated when it's not happening or when it's extra hard to make happen.

Of course I can always change my mind, but I've decided I DEFINITELY want to have all my kids before I'm 35 and Greg feels the same way. Who wants to up the risks of pregnancy? Who wants to up my chance of miscarriage when it's already at 50%? I mean seriously! With the number 4 consistently floating in my mind that means I need to pop out 2 babies in the next 4 years. A baby every 2 years. Then I'm in the clear. We'll see how it goes. I never thought this would be my plan. But honestly, the way it's going NOW, even if I was 24 and had 10 years to make this happen, I think I'd still want to pop 'em all out. I'm just excited! This is all easy to say since I only have one and she's basically been a breeze. We'll see how the rest go.

10 comments:

Danielle said...

Thats so great about the clothes! I'm so happy for you! I like change too. I think that's why Clay and I moved 3 times while we were in college...we like to change it up. We've also rearranged our basement about 4 times in the 2 years lived here. I like the "fresh start" feeling it gives. It's fun! You ARE lucky you make friends easy. That's not a quality I share. I am working on it though. I love you!!!

Grandma, Nonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grandma, Nonnie said...

I am happy you have a new wardrobe for Scarlet and congrats on saving all of that money, which is always a plus. I used to love to have changes, which is why grandpa and I built so many houses to live in and moved back to Texas and then back here so many times. I hope all of your pregnancies are like the one now and Scarlett. We love you all so much hugs

Amy said...

I'm so jealous that you make friends so easy. I honestly have such a hard time. But it's wonderful that you know you do and you don't have to worry about it. I still can't believe you are moving to Washington DC. That is so exciting and big! We have a kid to kid here but I have only been a couple of times. I usually buy my kids clothes at Target or Kohls. It seems so cheap I never realized I could be getting them so much cheaper. I just never really compared. I'll have to take a closer look.

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

great blog!! Think blogs are good also. I'm glad you make friends easily. I know what you're talking about in thinking back over the years and the friends that saved my life and I don't even know where they are now. We have very few friends in this world that we keep for life. Terese is the only one I keep contact with. I think we will always be close to the Mitchells and Jolly's, but we never go see them, but when on occasion we do its as if we were never apart. That is so cool about your clothes. The people that bought them retail use that little plastic thing called a credit card. We live in a world where people care more about how things look than living within their means. And like you said, lucky you, you get to take advantage of that! Terese always made a haul at garage sales and I just made mine. I'm glad I have an "excuse" to come out to see you so soon! I know it's work, but it always gives me comfort for some reason to know where my kids are physically, to be able to picture them in their house. Probably because I am so visual.love you!!!!

Rebecca said...

You sound so happy. You put a smile on my face and then during the TV/Scarlet post I laughed and laughed and laughed. Thank you because I really needed a good laugh. So yes kids are expensive, life is just expensive anymore. And when you figure out the TV thing, let me know, because I'm still trying to figure it out. I liked that you sit on the couch for a few minutes to calm yourself before you approach Scarlet sometimes. I need to do that more often.

I'm so impressed you love change. That's wonderful quality, especially since you will have to face it often. A good attitude like that will make all the difference.
Love you.

Lizzie said...

wow. 2 more babies in 4 years. i'm excited for you guys.

i sort of like change too. i complain that we move a lot. but sometimes it's fun.

good job on the clothes. scarlett could have on ugly clothes and still be so cute. i want to see her again. it's been almost a year...right? she was so little then.

love you.

Aliese the Writer said...

I just caught up on all of your posts since 'The Mouse.' I love the videos of her playing the piano. She is so unbelievably cute. I was so excited when you said you were coming out to visit and now I'm so sad that you aren't. Oh, well, next time. I love all of your posts. I'm sure it's very frustrating for you that Scarlet insists on watching TV so much, but I thought it was so funny. I'm so glad that you are excited for the move. I'm so happy for you. And that's so cool that you got so many clothes for Scarlet before you move! That's so cool. Love you! :)

fiona said...

Ahhh, I love Kid2Kid and always hit it (etc.) up while in the States. Not so easy to find good used clothes here. Sometimes I use ebay, but it's not as cheap or good. Sigh. Y'all are definitely going into the right line of work if you like change! Moving every two to three years to totally different places will work perfectly for you! It's funny. We were in Uruguay for 2 years, and loved it, and thought our time was too short there (it was, 2 years flies) but as we got closer to leaving we were READY. Same thing now. We were soooo glad to have 3 yrs, and we both talked abt how we wished we could be here longer, but now, with 4 months left, we're feeling ready for something new, more or less. And it's great because we can't collect too much junk. Kinda keeps things rotating well!

I'm glad all is going well with your pregnancy, and that you're feeling good! So crazy that Scarlet's going to be a big sis... :)

HeidiT said...

Love, love, love consignment stores (and clearance sections)! I have only bought 1 full priced item for Cami in her whole life and it was her birthday zebra print shirt. And I had a mini panic attack after I did it! I seriously don't understand why people pay full price for clothes, especially at this age where the clothes are generally not worn out.
Being able to make friends easily is truly a talent. It's great that you have been blessed with that ability since you guys have moved so much. I would probably be in tears at the thought of it.