This was only 4 months ago. Can you believe it? I'm clearly taking a picture because I'm "showing" which seems ridiculous now. I was 16 weeks.
If I only ever get back to this- I will be so happy. I miss my old body so bad. I want it back. I want to not have this BELLY. It's just in the WAY. It HURTS. Scarlet is always crawling all over it and it doesn't feel good. I won't look like THIS in 2 months, but this gigantic belly will be GONE. And I can't wait.
Greg's coming home soon. I can't wait. It's been too long. 19 days. That's a long time. I like it better when he's here. Dan came out. It was great. I'll blog about it later. It's past 11pm and I'm just putting off going to bed, even though I'm REALLY tired.
Scarlet was really sick for awhile. It's so clear she all better now. What a difference. I forgot how wonderful she can be.
So I love watching Jamie Oliver shows and think he's awesome for so many reasons. I've always wanted to buy one of his books, but have resisted because I couldn't see the table of contents and was worried it would all be weird English food and I'd never make anything. Well, my book came today and it's sort of what I expected. Oh well. Bought it used for $5, now I can lay my thoughts to rest and just enjoy his wonderful shows.
I have been WAY food obsessed and finally feel it calming down. I've decided in a years time I want to be practically vegetarian. Notice I said PRACTICALLY, not definitely. I am never going to swear off steak, I'll probably have one once or twice a year, along with a burger or hot dog or something. But I am finally serious about weaning us off the meat and pumping up our meals with veggies. I was all stressed about finding a great cookbook to help me out but have decided that's just not going to happen. Veggie cookbooks are all about making what Greg and I would call "fake food". Like a fake burger, or fake something else. We believe in food being WHAT IT IS. Like if I'm not going to eat meat- that means I'm not going to try to fake a hamburger out of beans or tofu, I'm just not going to have hamburgers in my life anymore. I want to eat food the way it was meant to be eaten. Not in weird/creative unnatural ways. That's how we feel. So basically it's just altering the recipes we already love.
This has been my goal for a good 6 months or so now, I just sort of felt a little helpless in pursuing it. I would try, but my efforts didn't turn out that great. I would think, "Oh I'll half the meat in this recipe", but then I wouldn't replace it with anything so we'd just be less full instead. I was bad about planning ahead. My other problem was I always use the same veggies. In every stir fry it's an onion, carrot and pepper. Once in a blue moon we'll use something else, but rarely. So I spur of the moment bought some cauliflower and broccoli and then realized I had snap peas and used them all in my stir fry and I was so worried about undercooking it all (as I have in the past) it got all mushy, but STILL it was good and it gave me confidence that I can try new veggies and it will turn out and I'm totally capable. So it begins. Greg's on the same page, which is great. I have no real ambitions to become Vegan. That is so much more complicated and I love eggs and cheese. I have eaten so much cheese, this year, it's absolutely ridiculous. Anyway, I'm excited. I've felt it approaching, but just wasn't ready to take it head on yet. And now I feel ready. It's just so funny because I used to think people that were vegetarian/vegans were such quacks and now I'm starting to think that they were all on to something and I'm just slow about catching on.
I've also decided to deliver drug free. At least that's the goal. From watching a documentary and thinking about it a LOT, it just seems right. So I'm going for it. I'm reading up and practicing a little- I will more when Greg comes home. Hopefully it all works out! I have no regrets getting my epidural last time, but this time I want to do it differently and I think it will be better. Better, obviously- doesn't mean less painful- but for things that matter to me, now in my life, it will be better. Hopefully.
7 comments:
You can do it, Megan! The vegetarian thing and the no epidural. I have a cookbook that I think that you would like: Healthy Indian Kitchen. It has some great recipes that are light on the meat.
I am glad that Scarlet is doing better and I hear you about wanting your old body back. My pelvis feels like it is separating from my sacrum. And I am not even as far along as you.
Love you guys and miss you!
Hey this is jeff - not Hills - in case you were wondering. I might know a thing or two about being vegetarian/vegan since Hills put me, albeit somewhat begrudgingly, through all that. You're on the right track w/ not making "fake" food (ie tofu, tofurky, etc)...The easiest way to transition is to find a variety of ways eat the food items that you buy (b/c we all buy mostly the same stuff ea time we shop, right?). We didn't even introduce tofu for maybe 8 mos after Hills went vegetarian b/c we didn't know how to prepare it... then basically took it out b/c the pregnancy (note - only if you know how to prepare it, then it can taste "real"...but, then again I could just be desensitized). Just make sure to replace your protein intake that you aren't getting from the meat. Beans, greek yogurt, and spinach are all great sources. So are nuts. You won't last on stir-fry every night (but it is a good go-to option), you'll get burned out...The key is to learn how to make your favorite dishes (w/o the meat )in a way that they won't taste like they're missing anything as well as expanding your recipe book. Hills has some good recipes if you are interested. I will say that Cosco Black Bean burgers are not in any way hamburgers...but they are so tasty! Good luck!
So why do you want to go vegitarian? You didn't say why. Do you think meat is unhealthy? or has a big contribution to diseases? Or does it help keep the weight off? Just wondering. The natural birth: you can absolutely do it, AND, my midwife friend says most people have long labors the first time, and then they never want to do a natural birth again, and she tells them "your second one will be so much shorter!" and they never believe her, and then they always have a shorter labor. So the trick for us will be- having faith that we won't have a 2 day labor again! That's my ONLY issue. I was too exhausted to keep going, I think it would have taken a week to get that baby out! ha. But like- you and I did it naturally for 36 hours (i did, i think you did?) and statistically our second one should be less than that- so we can do it! ESPECIALLY with reading books, and youtube videos on it. and practicing even though it might feel silly. When I practiced I thought "this is so dumb, how will this help me?" but when I was going through it- I totally went back to those practices and did them. Some I didn't at all, but some I did. AND- just a warning- there's so many things on videos adn books that say could help- like massage etc- and that's like the LAST thing I wanted, so just know that there isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to handle the pain. I'm so glad scarlet is not sick anymore and that greg will be home soon- (i think he is now?!) I LOVE YOU! and miss you :)
Sounds like a good plan, being able to use dairy and eggs will help you stay creative. I know you can do the drug free delivery. I had 18 or so hours with Ed and a 5 hour labor with your mom. So the second one is usually shorter. Just be wise and do lots of praying. I love you and miss you. I think I will set up the skype again, so Scarlet will know who we are. Hugs and Kisses
Well, that's so exciting that you've like officially decided! Very cool. I think you'll do great. I watched that video- business of being born...OH my gosh. First off, I've never seen a baby being born...never watched one of those videos...but the thing is- I didn't think the babies actually coming out was the scary part, it was the moaning and HORRIBLE pain before the baby (just the whole laboring part) that was scary to me! haha. BUT, that being said- I totally got scared of the epidural because the point they made about how so many drugs in the past they used until they realized the damage it was doing...sure made me wonder if the epidural is doing stuff to kids! Also, I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT FREAKY STUFF THEY DID called "Twilight sleep" or something? Oh my gosh! How do people not know about this portion of history?!?! Anyway- we'll have to talk more later. I finished it last night when it would've been super late at your house so I couldn't call. But it was super intriguing. I'm glad I watched it. Anywho- you'll have to tell me your successes and stuff with weeding out meat. Love you!!!!!!!!!
Wow, vegetarian. thought about it, did the vegan thing for dad years ago, decided moderation and smaller portions of meat is my thing. good luck to you on that. I'm excited for you to do the natural birth. love you!!
That's how we are with meals. We tend to eat meatless during the week, and then weekends we'll have some. For the most part, anyway. We loooove beans here! For better or worse, right? ;) And quinoa. My favorite meal is a quinoa and beans one. I'll send you the recipe. It's seriously so good. Also, I'm glad that S is all better now! did you ever figure out what was wrong?
Post a Comment