Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Brighton Christopher Jentzsch

Lots to talk about. Where to start? First, the name. There was a kid in our old ward with the name Brighton and we always thought it was a cool name and had never heard of it before, so we stole it. Christopher is after Greg's youngest brother Chris, whom we love dearly and are honored to name our little one after him.

If I was going to go in order, I'd start with my water breaking- but shouldn't we start with the pictures?

Here he is, freshly after being born. 8 pounds even. I was so surprised he was smaller than Scarlet!


 I feel really bad, we've hardly taken any pictures, but looking back- our parents were the ones that took a million pictures the first few days, not us. So you don't get too many. The pics with me looking at the camera turned out pretty fuzzy. He looks so pale here!

He was born at 10:56 pm on July 22. Basically one hour before he was due. When I first saw him, I kept saying how he looked just like Scarlet. I thought they looked like TWINS, except his nose was definitely bigger, but now that time has passed, I don't think they look so twin like anymore- but DEFINITELY siblings. Once in awhile I'll look at him and think, "I have a picture of Scarlet that is this spitting image."

Greg got Scarlet the following afternoon. She stayed with some friend's in the ward. We were really worried about her having a herx reaction, but she had a really good time. She is responding so well to her antibiotics, it's been amazing!

She LOVED Brighton. She totally got the whole thing. When Greg brought her home for the first time, the first thing she asked for was, "Mommy baby?" Like she knew the baby was mine and that he'd be home with us. I loved it!



She couldn't stop hugging him or kissing him. It was the sweetest!



He's been a good baby from the start! Really peaceful, never cries.


I was REALLY anxious to get home. I couldn't sleep in the hospital and just didn't want to be there anymore. They kept us 24 hours so we couldn't leave 'till 11:30pm the next night. The nurses thought we were nuts and were definitely annoyed at us, but we went home, anyway- and I'm so glad we did. It's been great ever since!



He gets cuter everyday! Every few hours that pass, I pick him up from a nap to feed and I get a good look at him and think, "You are cuter again!" I just think he's so handsome. He looks like a boy to me. I said that right when he was born. That he looked like Scarlet, but a boy.


I'm suddenly tired. I was going to blog the whole story, but I'll save it for tomorrow. I'm doing REALLY WELL. I'm rather shocked at how great I feel. The first two days I kept waiting for the good feeling to wear off and suddenly feel like crap. And since it still hasn't come today, I'm thinking I'm gonna be just fine. I can't believe how well I've done on so little sleep. I finally got a two hour stretch today, or darn close. Even if I get a two hour break, for some reason my body only sleeps 45 minutes or so. I just wake up and then I'm awake. It's been a little frustrating, but I think it's finally wearing off. Hopefully tonight I'll get more sleep, but Brighton's finally starting to feed on demand now. So he may wake me up earlier than I want. We'll see.

BTW ladies, my nipples are killing me today. Totally normal right? It happens to everyone and goes away? I just never got to that point with Scarlet, so I need some support (not that I'm going to quit, I just like to know what to expect). I can't get the lactation people out of my head with their puzzled looks saying, "It shouldn't hurt. You're doing it wrong."

16 comments:

Danielle said...

Megan he's so cute! I love him so much! I definitely agree- he looks like a BOY! And I love it! I'm so glad you're doing so well!!! Love you!!!!!!!

Jess said...

He is SO handsome! :) I'm so happy for you!

Yeah don't listen to the stupid lactation people. They are crazy. Of course it hurts! I started hurting with Emma toward the end of my second day nursing her and she was really good at it. It did get A LOT better after the second, maybe third week. It just takes time for our bodies to adjust. I hear that the reusable cooling gel pads can really help soothe after breastfeeding. I will definitely be trying it this next go.
Seriously so excited and happy for you! Hope you get some good sleep in soon :)

Shannon said...

My breast coaches say it's normal and you can wipe your nipples with some of your milk to help with the chapping. I obviously don't have experience. Congrats on doing it natural. I can't wait for my turn.

Hills said...

Megan & Greg! What a handsome boy :) He is so sweet and very cute! We can't wait to meet him! We are so happy for you guys. Be well and hopefully chat with you soon!
Love hills

Jenni said...

"it shouldn't hurt, you're doing it wrong" B.S!!!!!!!!!! Of course it's going to hurt! A human is sucking on your nipple!!! Those ladies need to show some compassion! I'm no pro, but it hurts a bit at the beginning! don't stress!

MEGAN---How do you make the most beautiful babies! I'm looking at these pictures and I'm saying "oh my gosh, SCARLET IS SOOO BEAUTIFUL!" and then I look at Brighton, and he is perfect too! So perfect!!! I am sooo happy for you! Keep the pictures coming!!!

P.S- Your SIL Laurel is my visiting teaching companion! She's SUPER GREAT!!!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Ok first off- he is so cute!!!! I can't get over how he looks like a boy. I even imagined him with a bow to see if he would look like a girl if you dressed him differently, and he would still look manly. He is just a boy! Isn't that crazy?! That they can already look so much their gender? He is so cute! And I'm so glad scarlet loves him. OK- the nusring- OH MY GOSH I HATE HATE HATE lactation ladies because they all say "if you have the right latch it shouldn't hurt, nursing isn't supposed to hurt" I swear none of htem have had babies, and if they did, then they have forgotten, and all of my friends feel this way- not just me. IT ALWAYS HURTs!!!! And it varies from woman to woman on how long it hurts. Squeeze out milk and rub it on your nipples after each feeding, after that dries, then put ATON of lanilon on them, AND the breast pad. If you don't feel weird then just be bare. Ofcourse- that's for cracked nipples, if it's just the pain part- then do all the above minus the naked part. AND DON'T PICK. DO NOT PICK!!!! resist temptation. And it's ok for the baby to drink the scab or skin or whatever is lingering on there. picking postpones the healing. But keep it up! It just sucks for a few weeks. I seriously used my breathing techniques for labor for nursing. I don't know why it has to kill so much. But think about it- this tiny mouth is sucking SO HARD on a part of your body that is super sensitive, ofcourse it's going to hurt! I HATE LACTATION consultants, IDIOTS!!!!!!! And make sure he has the fish lips, and just try to pry his mouth open as much as you can. It helped me to count- cause the first 10 seconds are the hell, and then after that it's just bad, ha. I even punched the couch, and I said Dammit infront of mom when Maddie bit down on me. IT"S ALL NORMAL!!!!!!! YOU ARE DOING GREAT! can't wait to talk to you again- it's been a crazy week for me, mike is sick. love you

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

I haven't read everyones comments yet, but it is a PILE OF CRAP that your nipples won't hurt!!!! I wonder if the nurses have ever nursed a baby!!!!! It will get better, but use the breast cream after every feeding no matter what! Between having 6 kids of my own that I nursed, and watching my daughters nurse 7 out of the 10 grandbabies, it hurts!!!! Now having said that it is important to get a good latch, but I bet you know what that is. A bad latch hurts worse than a good latch, and will cause you problems. Also don't pull him off, put your finger between your breast and his mouth. The pics are so cute!! He is very cute, it is no wonder you would think he is so handsome, he looks just like his dad! I hope he stays good natured. And yes he definitely looks like a boy! Remember to rest and let Greg and Scarlet wait on you, you need all the rest you can. The problem with feeling good is you can push it to far. You take care of you and the baby, no one else. And even the baby, let greg do as much as he can. He's a good helper, let him. Love you!!!

Lindy and Bryce Ellsworth said...

I have not looked at blogs for a bit due to summer being busty busy, BUT I clicked on yours and was so happy to see baby had arrived. He is absolutely beautiful. So handsome. I love all the pictures. I'm excited to hear your birth story. I love that Scarlet loves her new little brother, and I also love that Scarlet seems to be doing better and better each passing day. As far as nursing goes, you can do it. I'm so happy you are feeling so good. Heavenly Father truly does bless us in many ways. Oh my gosh he is so stinkin cute. Hope the transition from one to two kiddos goes great, as I'm sure it will. Miss you guys!

Amy said...

He is beautiful! You look great! I am so happy you are feeling so good already. That is amazing! I am such a mess for weeks after I have a baby. Congratulations to your little family. You are all so beautiful!

Emily said...

OOOhhhh I LOVE a swaddled baby! Megan he's GORGEOUS!!! I want another boy so bad. Can I have him? And also I can't get over how beautiful Scarlet is.

Nursing. Been there with the pain. I think that it can hurt even if you're doing it right, but it definitely feels better if you can get him latched on the right way. Easier said than done. Ivy is 4 months and it still hurts me. Are they just sore or are they cracked and bleeding? I can give you my special concoction to heal them. :)

Love you and congrats on your new little one.

Sari said...

He is ADORABLE! And I totally hate the painful nursing part but love feeding my babies Nipple cream is your best bet if there seriously chapped!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Megan, you and Greg have the most beautiful babies, and little Brighton is so handsome. Such a cutie! You look so happy and pretty. I love you so much, hang in there with the nursing, and of course it is going to hurt. I haven't nursed since your mom, as they discouraged us during that time, but it did hurt. Those nurses that help you don't know didly squat about it. What a pain to have to deal with someone that is such a ninny. There are a lot of real asses in the world and I think they are among them. Brighton has a little round face, like his dad I think. I am so glad that Scarlet loves him. Hugs and kisses

Dan said...

A way cool baby.
Good job getting Him into the would, is hard work.
Uncle D

Jill said...

Aw, congratulations on your beautiful boy! I was just thinking about you today and wondered if you'd had him yet so I had to come check! :) He is a doll, and I definitely see a resemblance to his big sis. That said, he totally looks like a boy! Adorable. Oh, and yes--what everyone else said: breastfeeding makes your nipples hurt and I had the same experience with a lactation consultant saying I was doing it wrong with Byron (and my nursing experience with him didn't last more than a couple of months, most of it pumping). I was determined to make it work with Ayden and ignore "consultant" advice and that made a world of difference! It will hurt for the first couple of weeks, then be fine. Quinn is 3 months old and his initial latch on is still a little uncomfortable, but then it goes away. :) Also--for sore nipples, my new favorite product is The First Years Nipple Butter--feels so much better than the lanolin stuff and is a lot easier to put on. I swear it has some sort of numbing stuff in it too--the pain is way less as soon as you put it on! Ok, enough from me--congratulations again and I can't wait to see some more pictures!!!!! :)

Watts Family said...

So cute!! He does look like a BOY!! But he looks so much like scarlet at the same time!! So cute. Congrats!!

HeidiT said...

Congrats on your adorable new addition!!! He looks a lot like Scarlet...but a boy, so cute. I love the name Brighton. I'm glad everything went well.