Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Greg has taught our family the joy of playing Don't Eat Pete, an absolutely hilarious game. Greg drew up some monsters, or did I? I have no idea. It's all crumpled up and used, but it's become our weekly FHE activity (if we remember to have FHE) and M&Ms are the chosen treat.

Scarlet requests it all the time. It's pretty funny, because she can hardly hold still, waiting for her turn, and when it suddenly is her turn she takes one m&m and just stares at us, she won't even put it in her mouth. Then if she DOES put it in her mouth, just just stops and stares at us. The game is at a complete halt. We almost have to yell at her to keep the game going. I'll never understand it.
 Oh man, Brighton loves anything with chocolate involved. He is just now starting to catch on to the rules instead of just quickly popping all the m&m's in his mouth. So that's fun, but when it's not his turn- oh man- DRAMA. This boy seriously has a chocolate addiction. It didn't matter how many turns he got, every time his turn ended- INSTANTLY he does THIS until his next turn.

 The kids have been helping me make bread lately. Even though it only takes 5 minutes, half way through I'm so frustrated with the increasing pile of flour on the counter than I take them off the counter and say, "We're done!" I've always struggled with "helping" in the kitchen. But each week I try again. How can I resist us all baking in our aprons? When the mess stays under control and no one is in danger of burning off their fingers I LOVE to cook with them, I think nothing is sweeter- but it usually doesn't end up that way and I get a little crazy.

The day after my big post about my kids not eating my food, THEY ATE MY FOOD!!! I had to take pictures to document that they ate my incredibly veggie filled Asian Quinoa.

I'm not claiming this has happened since, but hey it happened this day and I was thrilled.
Since then, I've instilled the philosophy of, "If you're not going to eat at meal times, you can go hungry." And it's not without drama but it is working and I'm glad. It kind of stinks though, outside of the house. I have to bear the looks on my friends faces that obviously say, "Your kid is crying and begging for food and you're NOT going to feed them?" Even though I explain my reasoning, I know they don't get it and think I'm a psycho. It was really hard the first couple weeks, but now I'm passed caring, because it's working and I seem to be able to explain the whole basis of my decision better. The thing that gets REALLY frustrating is even AFTER I explain myself, they offer my kid food. "I have some bread, if she wants" or the unbelievable "I could give her a couple pieces of candy"- say what? CANDY!!!!! Why would I give my whiney child CANDY when I'm trying to teach her  something? Are you CRAZY????!!!!! This tells me they clearly don't get it, but I do and it's working for us so I'm sticking to it. Basically, we've come to a desperate spot and this is just the only thing that's giving us progress. I think some kids must have CONTROL or naturally be good eaters so they just don't get it. Like one time someone said to me, "I think kids know what their body needs and so I don't force them to eat things." Yeah, if I stuck to my kids requests it would ONLY be chocolate and grapes. Their reasoning is, "Why on earth would I eat spinach when chocolate tastes so much better?" And I know they really think this way! I used to too!!!

We went to the mountains again and there was more snow than ever! It would have been an absolute perfect day except . . . 

This.
Yes and I DO mean "THIS". Ugh. If the weather and scenery weren't so perfect, she would've ruined the whole day. Imagine THIS face (plus some thick runny snot) and a constant, "WHAAAAAAA!!!!!!! I'm cold!!!!! I wanna go home!!!!!! WHAAAA!!!!!!!" Seriously the worst. I don't know if I've ever detested my child so much in her 3 years. It started the moment she got out of the car and didn't stop for a moment, until we returned 3 hours later. We went through phases of  consoling, threatening, yelling (me yelling), consoling again and then just ignoring. It didn't matter what we did, like she was making up for all of her wonderfulness the last 3 years by being really unbearable. It was so sad because the snow was absolutely amazing. So playable. Soft and fluffy and SO DEEP. Like to our thighs deep. Greg dug this cool half cave and we all just sat in it and hung out. It wasn't FREEZING though. The temperature was so bearable and perfect. Brighton was having a BLAST. It was strange to have one child constantly screaming and miserable and the other one so unaffected and playful. It was so fun to see him roll around in the snow. I just kept thinking he was like Greg. He was just enjoying the whole thing so much. All this wonderfulness to the soundtrack of Scarlet the Terrible.

It just stunk because we probably would've stayed the whole day there, but Scarlet was so unbearable, we came home after a few hours and that was a major accomplishment and a lot of patience.



Kid Updates . . .

Brighton loves to play Simon Says and Red Light Green Light. He doesn't fully comprehend the rules, of course, but he still LOVES to play and gets so excited. He runs around yelling, "Gme! Gme!" (game! game!) It's so cute. He also love Ring Around the Rosy or any kind of game he can play.

Scarlet has just been becoming so ACTIVE!!! It's been so great! She starting to run everywhere, the way all toddlers do. She's starting to do so much that I didn't realize she wasn't doing, until now she does. She was always a mellow baby, and I don't know if she's sort of "late" in a lot of these normal behaviors because she was sick for so long and just didn't have the opportunity, or maybe it just interested her later than most, but I LOVE watching her run around and play and climb and run and jump. I absolutely love it. She's so much more ADVENTUROUS than she used to be and just pretends constantly. We jump from couch to couch, fighting off sharks with invisible sticks and throw things at them. She often speaks to me with a British accent (well, her version of one) and it's super funny. We sing our conversations constantly. She's just a lot of fun.

B actually gained 1.5 lbs! He's growing again! Amazing! He's gone from the 4th percentile in weight, just a month ago,  to the 14th! What a jump! 2 or so months ago I decided I wasn't gonna worry about it because he was happy and acting healthy and I couldn't make him eat any more than he was. Force doesn't work on my 1 year old. But now he's just doing it on his own! It makes me happy. Hopefully he'll stay on the path.

My Zumba instructor went to a week long course in Moscow to get officially certified in zumba and our first class with her since was SO MUCH BETTER!!!! It makes me so happy! I already liked it, but it's such a better work out and more fun. But, in the middle of class she shouts to me not to do this hip circle move. First of all, this move was beyond slow, even if it was considered "risky", which it wasn't. So she solos me out in front of the whole class telling me not to do it and I yell back (because the music is loud) "it's ok!" and do the move. We go back and forth, "don't do it!" "it's ok, I'm going to do it" 3-5 times until I really yell, "It's good for the baby!" or something and the whole class laughs and we move on. This woman has ALWAYS been anxious about me being pregnant. So after class I decide to just tell her about all the research I've done and that ab exercises (especially standing up) are actually REALLY GOOD for pregnancy and I SHOULD be doing them. And the whole time I'm talking she just has this look on her face that I'm telling her a bunch of crap. So hoping I was going to settle the situation from now on, she proceeds to tell me that at her class in Moscow they talked about pregnant women and zumba and that I'm NOT SUPPOSED TO RAISE MY HANDS ABOVE MY HEAD. I couldn't even hold back my response. It was just so ridiculous. I made one of my faces and said, "What?!" or something. At that point I just thought, "Ok, this conversation is clearly going nowhere" so I said something to the effect that, "We're getting our information from different sources, I trust mine, she trusts hers" and I really want to exclaim, "You seriously think your russian zumba instructors know more about this that AMERICAN DOCTORS THAT SPECIALIZE IN PREGNANCY!!!!!!! INSANITY!!!!!!!" She then tells me she HAS to worry about me because I'm in her class and it's her responsibility and I told her I understand that. And then she told me she won't hassle me that much. So we seem to have the understanding that she's going to tell me not to do stuff but that I will anyway. It's just frustrating and makes me wish I was done being pregnant already. Even though, I don't know if I'll be able to return afterwards. I HOPE I can, but it all depends on the baby and feeding and how regular the babe manages to be. I'm a total wuss for letting my babes cry, especially with hunger. It gives me great anxiety when I leave the house, which pretty much has made me never leave their side their first year. I know it's not a healthy take for a mother, but it's one of my struggles.

We're going 3 weeks strong with no one getting sick and it's been pretty awesome! I like having a life worth living! It sort of sucks feeling like you have no purpose but to be sick. I didn't think we could have so many playdates or activities and I still have energy to make dinner! It's so much better! I don't want to jinx it by talking about how great it is, but it really has been great.

8 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

oh my gosh i bust out laughing at B's face with that Pete Game, I can just imagine the whole thing, with him being so frusterated every time his turn ends- hahaa. Oh man. Why are kids pain so funny sometimes?! I seriously bust out laughing when I read and saw that pic. Oh my gosh Scar crying during the whole snow trip- HOW AWFUL! It really shows how pics can be deceiving, none of us would have known had you not told us- haha. Does she not like to play in teh snow? or was it just a weird day? The eating- UGHHHHH preachign to the choir. and to think that when I was younger I thought "my kids are going to eat, I will make them" PAH. shows how much I knew. eyeyeye. I just wish they could live off of crackers and chocolate, it would be so much easier. Why did HEavenly Father create all these delicious things that are so bad for us?!!! eyeye. I'm so glad they ate for you that day- haha. Maddie ate our dinner for the first time in forever the other night. we had salmon and the ONLY reason she ate it was bc we called it pink chicken. And then suddenly she wanted it. ha. the helping cook. It is difficult, when I do it- I tell myself "this isn't for me, it's helping her learn and grow and have fun". IT IS SO DIFFICULT to think that way :) love you! gret blog!

Danielle said...

Hahaha the pete game. SO CUTE AND FUNNY. I love how Brighton just can't handle waiting! hahaha so funny.

I can imagine how hard it'd be to cook with the kids...just so much more of a mess to clean up, but I'm sure it's good for them. Good for you for trying!!!

I'm so happy the food thing is getting better. That is SO annoying to me...the parents not getting it thing. Like...hello? Don't you have common sense?! I hate when people assume that if their kids are one way, then all kids are that way. It just isn't that way...just like ALL things in life. Like with pregnancy- I have a co-worker that literally thinks everything she went through will happen with me, and I'm like- ummm I'm a different person wtih a different body and EVERYONE has different kinds of pregnancies...stop just assuming- "oh well you just wait you will..." insert random annoying thing. Total off topic rant- but you get it.

You were cracking me up about Scarlet in the snow...hahah making up for all the three years of bliss. hahaha it's funny cause I really have a hard time imagining her being so annoying! She is always so sweet and good! Must've been having a bad day I guess. She is still so cute in that pic. haha.

It's cute to hear about all of the kids updates. I'm glad Brighton is gaining weight. Just an extra stress off your back, which is always good.

Your Zumba instructor- this kills me! I feel so lucky, all I do is get praise for being at the gym! No one tries to slow me down. They only tell me how awesome I am. It's fantastic. haha. Don't lift your arms above your head?!?! I lift weights above my head! She's crazy. I'm glad you just do what feels good.

I'm so glad you aren't sick. I hope it sticks.

Love you sooooooo much.

Laurel Jentzsch said...

The other mom offering your kid candy! That was outrageous. We do the same thing with food at our house, except the girls get one snack while we are out on a jog. Otherwise, they only get food at meal times. We haven't had any major issues with Anna yet, but there have been moments where she almost decided to skip a meal because she didn't want it. I have to remind her that if she doesn't eat now, she won't eat again till the next meal time. It seems to be working out pretty well for us. But like you said - you can't force kids what to eat.

I read this awesome book about feeding kids, and the most important point (in my opion) was that the parents can choose when & what the kids can eat, and the kids choose how much (if any) they will eat. That way you share the responsibility, because we (as parents) shouldn't have to be stressing about how much they eat. We already stress about preparing good food, giving them healthy options, and structuring family meal times. I thought the book was very useful.

B's face when you play "Don't eat Pete." Priceless. So glad you capture that on camera.

Can't wait to see you! So soon! Love!

Shannon said...

We used to play "don't eat pete" a lot.

Hills said...

I love all the pictures! Even the one of Scarlet being miserable. That is fun to do for FHE with the game. Poor Brighton seriously looks so sad it's not his turn. Oh man, cute kids!
It seems there are always people who have advice, but the truth is sometimes you don't want it, and it's hard to say you don't. The eating thing sounds really hard.
Once I got Olivia on a good schedule it was great, because she is hungry when we eat and that's that. From the get go, I just started feeding her when I/we ate. She doesn't really snack throughout the day except at around 3pm.
It's amazing that you will have three children! So cool! I can't wait to hear what his name will be!
Jeff and I were bummed that you guys tried to call us a few Saturdays ago! Sorry we weren't around, but we should try and Skype soon! Maybe this Saturday or next?

Hills said...

I just read Laurel's comment and I completely agree. I don't know which book specifically she read, but I read the same information from somewhere (don't even remember where now.) I follow those guidelines as well.

melissa said...

When I was pregnant with Ethan I exercised a LOT and did tons of Yoga. I had this friend that scolded me, and told me I should stop doing the yoga poses that had me stretching my hands above my head because it would cause the baby to get tangled up in the cord. Well…after an emergency C-section because Ethan was SO tangled and in a million knots I couldn't get this woman's scolding out of my head. I felt like I had caused this. I was seriously a mess. I remember thinking that if I ever had another baby I would keep my arms GLUED to my sides! HA! Reading your post is the first time since then that i have ever heard that arms above your head thing! I don't think it's a real thing. The logical part of me KNOWS I did not cause my C-section because I did yoga! But I really really wish people would think before they say things to pregnant women! Don't they know we are guilt ridden? That we tend to blame ourselves for everything??
I say go with your gut Megan, you are a great mom, and you know what is best for you and your family. XOXO can't wait to see you guys this summer.

Lizzie said...

My kids LOVE don't eat Pete. We used to play it all the time. Also with m&ms. The food. Oh man I shod do that.